The Cloverfield Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: The Cloverfield Thread

Post by miguelnuva »

I still personally wouldn't mind the sequel being the same night from a different group recording.

Hasbro should re-release that 14 inch figure though.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

I hated Cloverfield but it's more because of the found footage/shaky cam then the actual movie itself. If this movie gets away from that which it implies then I will be more interested.

I did like 10 Cloverfield Lane though and have yet to see the third installment because I heard it was dreadful.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

While found-footage was a part of Cloverfield's identity the series has already had two movies move entirely away from that style and found footage's popularity has mostly disapated since Cloverfield's 2008 release. In particular there's a lot of people that couldn't and still can't watch that movie because of motion sickness. So I say "losing" a bit of Cloverfield's identity is certainly worth it

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

I remember a recorded line at the very last second of Cloverfield's credits of someone saying "it's still alive". I wonder if that might be taken into account for the sequel.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:19 am I remember a recorded line at the very last second of Cloverfield's credits of someone saying "it's still alive". I wonder if that might be taken into account for the sequel.
"I can't believe that the Cloverfield Monster was the only surviving member of its species... But if we continue conducting acts of terrorism, it's possible that another Cloverfield Monster might appear somewhere in the world again.”
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Kink Kong
Ronin

Post by Kink Kong »

The Cloverfield Paradox killed my hype for the franchise. If an unrelated crappy direct-to-DVD/steaming movie can just film a handful of scenes and be slapped with the Cloverfield title, then the franchise has lost all its dignity to me. That being said, I have a soft spot for the first Cloverfield because it kept the kaiju genre afloat in the middle of its most inactive time from 2004-2014 and the ARG blew my 12 year old mind. I might check this new sequel out when it comes out just for old time’s sake.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Two solid theatrical films and a misfire dumped on Netflix doesn't seem so bad to me.

Kink Kong
Ronin

Post by Kink Kong »

tbeasley wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:17 pm Two solid theatrical films and a misfire dumped on Netflix doesn't seem so bad to me.
If the third film had been a genuine effort that just happened to lack the quality of the first two, I would agree. My issue lies more with the branding of unrelated D-grade movies and what this represents for the Cloverfield brand from that point forward.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Kink Kong wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:50 pm
tbeasley wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:17 pm Two solid theatrical films and a misfire dumped on Netflix doesn't seem so bad to me.
If the third film had been a genuine effort that just happened to lack the quality of the first two, I would agree. My issue lies more with the branding of unrelated D-grade movies and what this represents for the Cloverfield brand from that point forward.
In any case, this seems like a course correct then.

Also, does anyone remember OVERLORD? The nazi zombie film? It was pretty good. I remember originally hearing that it was Cloverfield 3, or at least speculation. My reason for that is I'm fine with horror films using the clover field branding. Clvoerfield Paradox Fucked everything up by not making it an unrelated anthology series.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:54 pm
Kink Kong wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:50 pm
In any case, this seems like a course correct then.

Also, does anyone remember OVERLORD? The nazi zombie film? It was pretty good. I remember originally hearing that it was Cloverfield 3, or at least speculation. My reason for that is I'm fine with horror films using the clover field branding. Clvoerfield Paradox skreeonked everything up by not making it an unrelated anthology series.
It definitely felt like a Clover film, I actually came up with a little theory that the Cloverfield subreddit seemed to really like lol,
The serum used in JJs film 'Overlord' is an orange, sappy textured liquid that turns humans into grotesque psychotic zombie-like beings when marinated in it for too long. Now if you guys were following the ARG back during the original Cloverfield film, you'd know that the Deep Sea Nectar was used in the Slusho drinks to give them their addictive flavor. But if you also remember, in high quantities it made people go absolutely mad, it got them very sick, and that's all we knew.

when Ford is being consumed by the "serum", his eyes and nose start to bleed viciously.

In Cloverfield, the parasites feed off of the "Nectar" on the ocean floor, which is why when they bit Mileena, her eyes and nose started to bleed, except she got such a large dosage that it blew her up almost instantly because her body couldn't handle it.

Now what if that Nectar was somehow mined for underwater somewhere deep in the Pacific Ocean.
Added in 2 minutes 15 seconds:
Apparently the owner of Tagruato, the company that did all the drilling in Cloverfield 2008, Kantaro Tagruato, sold the company to Ganu Yoshida in 1945 after he hit hard times. He could have been a nazi sympathizer and made products for the nazis and Ganu covered it up after buying it out.

Lot of theories involved here to where I probably look like a madman, but to sum it up, it'd all make sense.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Agent Smith
Monsterland Worker

Post by Agent Smith »

Hopefully Clover gets resurrect in the future. I am especially excited for it's future after seeing how massive the latest incarnation was!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

As much as I hope and want to see a real Cloverfield sequel, I'm more excited for the merchandise that will follow.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Kink Kong wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:59 pm The Cloverfield Paradox killed my hype for the franchise. If an unrelated crappy direct-to-DVD/steaming movie can just film a handful of scenes and be slapped with the Cloverfield title, then the franchise has lost all its dignity to me. That being said, I have a soft spot for the first Cloverfield because it kept the kaiju genre afloat in the middle of its most inactive time from 2004-2014 and the ARG blew my 12 year old mind. I might check this new sequel out when it comes out just for old time’s sake.
10 Cloverfield Lane was CFINO, literally having Cloverfield slapped on it in post to bring in more viewers and it was damn good. The problem was that Paradox was a steaming pile of shit.

The anthology angle was fine for what it was, but about damn time we got a true sequel to Cloverfield.
ROMG4 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:00 am While found-footage was a part of Cloverfield's identity the series has already had two movies move entirely away from that style and found footage's popularity has mostly disapated since Cloverfield's 2008 release. In particular there's a lot of people that couldn't and still can't watch that movie because of motion sickness. So I say "losing" a bit of Cloverfield's identity is certainly worth it
Not me, I watched it over a dozen times on DVD and it's so good I rebought it in 4K. I don't necessarily dislike found footage films, I just want found footage done right. Unfortunately, not many have caught my interest, and that includes The Blair Witch Project, which I've said in the Unpopular Opinions thread is overrated.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

KManX89 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:28 pm Not me, I watched it over a dozen times on DVD and it's so good I rebought it in 4K. I don't necessarily dislike found footage films, I just want found footage done right. Unfortunately, not many have caught my interest, and that includes The Blair Witch Project, which I've said in the Unpopular Opinions thread is overrated.
Exactly, found footage is an incredibly modern usage of the whole "real life" dynamic that we almost never see in films. It's like, if Gojira 1954 happened today, in New York, how would people react? What's the first thing they'd grab? Their video cameras (or cell phones these days) and start recording of course. It threw us right into the event. It's like the entire purpose of the FF angles were made for modern kaiju flicks.

Chronicle and Project Almanac are probably part of my top 3 FF films.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

I don't really get how they can do a "true" sequel to Cloverfield when everything that makes the first one great lies in the subtle moments and the mystery. Seriously. The mystery is everything. The fact that you only see the action from a civilian POV, the huge ARG, all the slusho stuff and the deep sea nectar, the falling satellite, the "help us/it's still alive" at the very end of the film, etc etc etc. Everything I find brilliant about the film ties into the fact its deepest mysteries are mysteries even to this very day.

But where can you go from that? Even dropping the found footage thing (which I think is a mistake personally because it's so damn cool), Cloverfield is...just the story of a single monster going on a mindless rampage and then presumably getting bombed. The monster is amazing but it isn't the "draw" of the story, it's the idea of being caught in its wake that the story revolves around.

And, personally,.... I feel it's lame to bring in the "Cloververse" stuff. I'm sorry, but I just don't like that stuff. Aliens, space, it's just too far for me. In my eyes a proper Cloverfield sequel should drop all of that stuff, I know it's unlikely to be dropped but I just want something simple like the original Cloverfield, where the film itself is very straightforward but there's a lot of secrets and easter eggs that point you towards more of the story without giving you a true explanation. The idea of Clover being something to do with space and aliens and stuff also is super lame to me, I like the idea of it being just a strange unknown creature on steroid honey.

I guess they're probably gonna go the "Aliens" route. The big mystery leading up to Cloverfield's release was the monster. I remember loving all the fan discussions and theories before it came out, some were even convinced it was gonna be a secret Godzilla film. But now the cat is kind of out of the bag, so I assume they're gonna go the daft action movie route or something instead of the suspenseful horror feel of the first one.

As for Paradox's ending... unpopular opinion, maybe, but I think Clover being THAT big is really lame. What's the point if it's just too big to fight at all? Or to even interact with people? Please don't be that big in the upcoming film....
Last edited by Thegarbagemonster on Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

With JJ having that big fat WB contract and Cloverfield having the nature it does, I do wonder could Cloverfield pop up in the Monsterverse if Godzilla vs Kong is successful and if that isn't will they keep it separate?

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:02 pm With JJ having that big fat WB contract and Cloverfield having the nature it does, I do wonder could Cloverfield pop up in the Monsterverse if Godzilla vs Kong is successful and if that isn't will they keep it separate?
Yeah I said the same exact thing about 4 months ago, JJ with that WB contract, and a kaiju universe, I wonder if WB bought Bad Robot specifically for the Cloververse? Far fetched I know.

I will say, JJ was never the writer, or director of these films, so I do wonder why we all give him so much credit. He's the producer which, from my understanding only supports films financially as well as supplies a cast and crew?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:08 pm As much as I hope and want to see a real Cloverfield sequel, I'm more excited for the merchandise that will follow.
This will most likely, never, happen, but imagine a MMS Cloverfield Monster vinyl. Imagine the body being small with it's legs that are posable. It'll be so great.

I'm of the belief that in some ways the original cloverfiled is a true masterpiece and actually a better "American Godzilla" film than 98.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:54 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:08 pm As much as I hope and want to see a real Cloverfield sequel, I'm more excited for the merchandise that will follow.
This will most likely, never, happen, but imagine a MMS Cloverfield Monster vinyl. Imagine the body being small with it's legs that are posable. It'll be so great.

I'm of the belief that in some ways the original cloverfiled is a true masterpiece and actually a better "American Godzilla" film than 98.
I'll even just take a NECA figure, lol.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

A re release of the hasbro figure would be great.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image