Kong: Skull Island (2017) (NO UNOFFICIAL PHOTOS)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Are you excited?

Yes!
86%
Meh
11%
No thank you
3%

Total votes: 313

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Re: Kong: Skull Island (2017) (NO UNOFFICIAL PHOTOS)

Post by Smuggers »

This is definitely the unsung hero of the MV. It seems to have fallen by the wayside in Godzilla circles but it's absolutely the gold standard for future films to follow.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

It's still the worst Monsterverse film in my eyes. The pacing and story structure in the 2nd act is so half baked, and Conrad is one of the most terribly uninteresting protagonists in these movies, which is saying something. And the Island itself is just so... uninspired.

So... since this thing came out five years ago, can we post unofficial photos now? ;)
Last edited by Spuro on Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Yeah, this is also the worst film in the Monsterverse in my opinion. Cringy humor, inconsistent tone, and honestly did not care for the film's anti-war message. Also, I thought the skullcrawlers design was uninspiring, I honestly think the Mutos looked cooler despite them looking like other American monsters.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Anguirus wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:28 pmCringy humor
Even compared to Godzilla vs. Kong's?

Making hand sanitizer from gardens, showering in bleach aka consuming a lot of bleach? :eh:
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat May 21, 2022 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Good to know that this is real. I thought they may have quietly scrapped this, after hearing nothing for so long.

GoldenGoat2000
Yojimbo

Post by GoldenGoat2000 »

Best film in the MV by far. The human characters actually have good motives and characterization. Monster action is often weaved into the human conflict, which negates the KoTM cut away problems. The SkullCrawlers are really well designed creatures. Love it

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

GoldenGoat2000 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:37 am Best film in the MV by far. The human characters actually have good motives and characterization. Monster action is often weaved into the human conflict, which negates the KoTM cut away problems. The SkullCrawlers are really well designed creatures. Love it
Seconded. Watched last night and couldn't get over how gorgeous every frame is.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Kong watching the Aurora Australis innocently while Packard rambles about “knowing your enemy” is quite possibly one of the visually and thematically best shots in the MV.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Dv-218 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:21 am Kong watching the Aurora Australis innocently while Packard rambles about “knowing your enemy” is quite possibly one of the visually and thematically best shots in the MV.
Unironically, Packard is one of the best executed characters in the MV, and it's a damn shame that he's one of the few that feels like he has a complete story line. The MV is filled with fantastic actors, who often feel like they got shafted or something went wrong (looking at Bryan Cranston).

Packards story is excellent, and gives a very unique Vietnam flare/issue that is unique to Kong Skull Island. Of course, it's Samuel L Jackson, but it's Samuel L. Jackson on a good day. He clearly put all his effort into it, and he works amazingly well as a secondary human antagonist.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:00 pm
Dv-218 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:21 am Kong watching the Aurora Australis innocently while Packard rambles about “knowing your enemy” is quite possibly one of the visually and thematically best shots in the MV.
Unironically, Packard is one of the best executed characters in the MV, and it's a damn shame that he's one of the few that feels like he has a complete story line. The MV is filled with fantastic actors, who often feel like they got shafted or something went wrong (looking at Bryan Cranston).

Packards story is excellent, and gives a very unique Vietnam flare/issue that is unique to Kong Skull Island. Of course, it's Samuel L Jackson, but it's Samuel L. Jackson on a good day. He clearly put all his effort into it, and he works amazingly well as a secondary human antagonist.
All of this. Skull Island catches flak for its overstuffed cast making things unfocused, but it does some things very right.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:00 pm

Definitely. Packard to me is the most well-rounded character in the MV thus far, and while I don't have a problem with the other human characters in each film, they feel a bit hollow and one-note in comparison. Just the clever cinematography where the camera tilts to show how Packard is steadily descending into madness lent more to his overall character than most others in the MV. Samuel L. is Samuel L., but he was also very much supported with a good script and a compelling, well written character to jump into.

#BotM

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

My favorite mv film by a long shot. I do wish John Goodman had lived longer. I don't have a bunch of words about pacing or structure this time, it's just very solid. I'm disappointed we can't revisit the Skull Island so well and lovingly built here.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

All this time and it's still the only MonsterVerse film I have any desire to go back to for a repeat viewing. I can actually stomach the human characters, I actually care what happens to some of them. Marlow has easily the most emotionally satisfying story arc of any character in the MonsterVerse.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Through it's portrayal and juxtaposition of the jaded Colonel Packett (Sam Jackson) to the kooky Hank Marlow, Kong Skull Island, out of the entirety of the MV, does the most interesting things with it's human cast and has the best character dynamics of the films so far. It's the only MV film that I feel like has something more to say than pro-conservation anti-pollution signaling. Packett doesn't feel like a one-note villain, as his resentment towards Kong feels justified, and I like the interactions with him and Brie Larson's character. It's a shame that right before the Skull Devil appears they sort of revert him to a comical villain and then kill him off.

Also, Paranoid is a popular song that is used in many movies, but I think Kong Skull Island does it the best. The way the helicopters synch up, as bombs are dropped and animals run is beautiful.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Absolutely agree on all points. I adore this film.

Of our recent kaiju movie output, I’d say these five films are the best and the only ones I really care about.

G Minus One
KSI
G 2014
GKOTM
Shin Ultraman

All of these are top tier for me. Everything else….i have grown increasingly apathetic or down right negative about.
Last edited by king_ghidorah on Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

My favourite part of skill island is the credits
It's so satisfying to see closure to Marlowe's story and it's something you don't know you even want until you get it

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:40 am My favourite part of skill island is the credits
It's so satisfying to see closure to Marlowe's story and it's something you don't know you even want until you get it
I feel there's so much potential to see more of that character. Either set with his friend on Skull Island to Marlow pretty much being recruited into Monarch reluctantly on future Skull Island trips. Reunion with the Iwis and all. Hell, he could pop up in LoM through flashbacks in Season 2 or something. I imagine him and Shaw would get along together pretty well, similar military history and monster experience.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I personally think after his ordeal Marlow probably is done adventuring and would be okay with spending time with his family and sitting back and eating hot dogs. He deserves it.

Agree that it's a great end-credits scene. It works because Marlow's story isn't the central focus but it's a nice cap off to things.

MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:37 pm I personally think after his ordeal Marlow probably is done adventuring and would be okay with spending time with his family and sitting back and eating hot dogs. He deserves it.

Agree that it's a great end-credits scene. It works because Marlow's story isn't the central focus but it's a nice cap off to things.
Yeah, while I'm sure Hank was willing to be consulted and answer questions Monarch might have had about Skull Island, I think his adventuring days were done. Hopefully Monarch recognized that and didn't roll him up, ala Lee Shaw.