Power Rangers/Super Sentai Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Re: Power Rangers/Super Sentai Thread

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

Thanks for the feedback, folks. It looks like I've got 33 more episodes of Dairanger coming my way!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

IMO the best Sentai series (of the few complete seasons I've seen) is a toss-up between Jetman and Dairanger. They both get quite soapy at times, but I can't say I mind too much when it results in endearing, well-earned character moments like this from Jetman (not surprisingly, from one of Keita Amemiya's episodes). In both series I was typically more interested in seeing how characters' stories resolved than watching the mech/monster fights.

For better or worse, those are the two shows that I compare all other Sentai seasons to. Which also explains why I've seen so few. :P
Last edited by Terasawa on Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

So far I've only watched Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger and Seiju Sentai Gingaman. I figured I'd start with the original versions of the two Power Rangers series that I watched the most as a kid, which were Mighty Morphin' and Lost Galaxy.

Zyuranger is currently my favorite. Gingaman seemed a bit less inspired but I liked how it was so different from the space-themed Power Rangers series that they turned it into. These Sentai shows are formulaic as hell but I've got to hand it to Toei, they really know how to make these shows fun.

mwbworld
Yojimbo

Post by mwbworld »

I've seen Zyuranger, Dairanger & Kakuranger (now watching Jetman and next will be Ohranger.)

For various reasons I started with Kakuranger first so it has some extra affect for me. But overall I liked the monster designs and villain best in Kakuranger and Dairanger. Although I have a lot of affection for Zyuranger and am definitely liking Jetman.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Does anyone think that this franchise should be given its own sub-forum like how they did for Ultraman and Gamera?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:05 pm Does anyone think that this franchise should be given its own sub-forum like how they did for Ultraman and Gamera?
No.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:55 am
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:05 pm Does anyone think that this franchise should be given its own sub-forum like how they did for Ultraman and Gamera?
No.
May I ask why?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:02 pm
No.
May I ask why?
Well, what even is there to post about that couldn't be done in this thread?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:50 pm

No.
May I ask why?
Honestly I don't see any reason why we need more than one Ultraman thread that couldn't be used for Power Rangers.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

There just doesn't seem to be enough discussion around here to warrant an entire sub-section dedicated solely to Super Sentai. That said, a general Toei area might not be a bad idea. We could discuss not only their superhero shows, but their large, diverse catalog of sci-fi films, and maybe even some of their non-SF outputs. Doubt there'd be much interest in the latter, though (But hey, I'm always down to discuss The Bullet Train or the Female Prisoner Scorpion movies!).

But first we should make the Gamera subforum a general Daiei section and the Ultraman subforum a general Tsuburaya one. No idea why those haven't happed yet.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:21 pm There just doesn't seem to be enough discussion around here to warrant an entire sub-section dedicated solely to Super Sentai. That said, a general Toei area might not be a bad idea. We could discuss not only their superhero shows, but their large, diverse catalog of sci-fi films, and maybe even some of their non-SF outputs. Doubt there'd be much interest in the latter, though (But hey, I'm always down to discuss The Bullet Train or the Female Prisoner Scorpion movies!).

But first we should make the Gamera subforum a general Daiei section and the Ultraman subforum a general Tsuburaya one. No idea why those haven't happed yet.
Smart plan. They should try to make each of those subforums divisions of the Monster Manor.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:50 pm

No.
May I ask why?
If it's a general power rangers/super sentai sub-fourm, there's quite a bit, just as much as Ultraman and even more than Gamera. You could make a sub-fourm just on the boom comics power rangers alone. You can have discussions on individual sentai seasons, individual power ranger seasons, comparisons between sentai and power ranger counterparts, actors and actresses discussion, movie discussions, mech discussions, monster design seasons, ect.... We can also discuss pros and cons of eras like pre in space, post zordan, Disney era, neo-Saban, Hasbro era.

Basically, we have individual ultraman season discussions so why not sentai? Even if it's only the us released seasons that's still 11 threads worth of discussion alone.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Legend's post asking why there wasn't a Super Sentai subforum came after nearly an entire month of silence in this all-encompassing thread. This thread has had only 21 posts (including this one) since December of 2020; nearly half of them are now about why or why there shouldn't be a sentai forum. This franchise simply doesn't get nearly enough discussion on this site to warrant its own subforum.
Last edited by Terasawa on Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:32 pm Legend's post asking why there wasn't a Super Sentai subforum came after nearly an entire month of silence in this all-encompassing thread. This thread has had only 21 posts (including this one) since December of 2020; nearly half of them are now about why or why there shouldn't be a sentai forum. This franchise simply doesn't get nearly enough discussion on this site to warrant its own subforum.
Does Ultraman and Gamera really get that much more discussion in the same token? I'm not saying it needs its own subform just that it has as much reason as those two in theory to have a subform.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

All this talk of a PR/Sentai sub forum and not one of you are discussing the fact that Lord muthafuggin' Zedd is back (or that Power Rangers is now a Netflix show). Shame on all of you.
Last edited by TitanoGoji16 on Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

TitanoGoji16 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:27 pm Image

All this talk of a PR/Sentai sub forum and not one of you are discussing the fact that Lord muthafuggin' Zedd is back (or that Power Rangers is now a Netflix show). Shame on all of you.
I will say this, I haven't been interested in Dino Fury, but I did watch the return of Lord Zedd. Even though the voice could be much better, the story nailed the portrayal good. I liked the fact that they brought out that the original rangers themselves never beat Zedd and that it took the Z-wave to defeat him. Also, we got some good fight feats for him in show and the fact that it took the whole Dino Fury team and two monsters just to barely stalemate him (and this is him without his staff). I'm guessing when Dino Fury ends he will be the final boss with Serpentera.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I stopped watching PR completely when I was a teenager. In order to win me back, I think the writing needs a serious overhaul. Kids shows nowadays have proven themselves that they can be made to appeal to adults just as much. From In Space to Time Force, the franchise did start maturing and catering itself to older kids but once Wild Force came around, things took a 180 degree turn. After all these years, the series still feels the need to pander to toddlers.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

For a long time now, I have been brewing up my own version of the Power Rangers saga in my head. Mind if I tell you what I’d do?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

My Dream PR reboot would be a celebration of both it and its original Japanese source material. If I were in charge, I would try and mesh elements of both the original MMPR series as well as Zyuranger and Dairanger into the storyline. Why has that been so difficult to do so far?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:43 pm My Dream PR reboot would be a celebration of both it and its original Japanese source material. If I were in charge, I would try and mesh elements of both the original MMPR series as well as Zyuranger and Dairanger into the storyline. Why has that been so difficult to do so far?
One is for western kids and one is for eastern kids and our values are different.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image