General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Re: General Gamera Thread

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

Tohosaurus wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:28 pm
InfiniteHollywood wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:53 pm I find Gamera The Brave very underrated.
I've always quite liked GTB, and I believe its lukewarm reception is due to it succeeding the beloved Heisei trilogy while returning to being more of a "family-friendly" and less "dark" Gamera movie.
Oh absolutely. Even though much of that film is as bleak as any and it was hardly a kid’s movie in the way classic Gamera films had been.

It seemed the backlash was mostly just reactionary but somehow the “it’s a kids movie” sentiment has retained even years later. The effects, fights and monster designs in the film are all fantastic and hardly kid’s stuff.

Good stuff!

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:43 am You just gotta believe, bros.
Ive got news for you buddy

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Janjira-York wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:03 pm
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:43 am You just gotta believe, bros.
Ive got news for you buddy
Faith is rewarded. <3
Resized Image

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I saw this joke on a kaiju website somewhere (its name escapes me at the moment):

Q: How do kaiju take photographs?
A: With a Gamera!

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

InfiniteHollywood wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:57 pm
Tohosaurus wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:28 pm
InfiniteHollywood wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:53 pm I find Gamera The Brave very underrated.
I've always quite liked GTB, and I believe its lukewarm reception is due to it succeeding the beloved Heisei trilogy while returning to being more of a "family-friendly" and less "dark" Gamera movie.
Oh absolutely. Even though much of that film is as bleak as any and it was hardly a kid’s movie in the way classic Gamera films had been.

It seemed the backlash was mostly just reactionary but somehow the “it’s a kids movie” sentiment has retained even years later. The effects, fights and monster designs in the film are all fantastic and hardly kid’s stuff.

Good stuff!
Changing Gamera's roar to Kong 76 was a huge part of the backlash. Also it got overlooked because of the hype for The Great Yokai War at the time.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

It’s a good film but the roar, weird designs/suits kind of kill it for me.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

mikelcho wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:02 pm I saw this joke on a kaiju website somewhere (its name escapes me at the moment):

Q: How do kaiju take photographs?
A: With a Gamera!
I found the website. It's The Toku Professor.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

king_ghidorah wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:48 pm It’s a good film but the roar, weird designs/suits kind of kill it for me.
I would have been more interested in Gamera The Brave had the Avant Gamera suit been used against Zedus. I mean you could have Toto in the majority of the film. And then the final battle is between a fully grown Toto (Avant) and Zedus.

Also they all should have been bigger. I just can't really stand small kaiju.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

^Wow, I did not know they replaced Gamera's roar with Kong 76's in The Brave. That's incredibly dumb.

Anyway, hopefully we can get Shin Gamera within the next few years?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Anguirus wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:47 pm ^Wow, I did not know they replaced Gamera's roar with Kong 76's in The Brave. That's incredibly dumb.

It was because Kadokawa didn’t have the rights to Gamera’s traditional roar. It was snagged by Toho for a while.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:59 pm
Anguirus wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:47 pm ^Wow, I did not know they replaced Gamera's roar with Kong 76's in The Brave. That's incredibly dumb.

It was because Kadokawa didn’t have the rights to Gamera’s traditional roar. It was snagged by Toho for a while.
Is that really the reason? I'm sure Avant Gamera still used it.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

G-Matt wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:33 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:59 pm

Is that really the reason? I'm sure Avant Gamera still used it.
I don't think he did. I just heard pretty generic sounding roars.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Anyone who hasn't picked up the Arrow Blu-Ray releases for the Showa and Heisei Gamera films, as well as the Daimajin trilogy, might be interested to know that they are all on sale for 50% off on Amazon right now! I just ordered the Showa Gamera movies and the Daimajin trilogy.

I also have a question for anyone who has already purchased the Arrow release of the Heisei Gamera movies. How much of an upgrade in video and audio quality is it from the Mill Creek Blu-Rays? Like is it substantially better? I love the Heisei Gamera trilogy enough that I'm seriously considering dropping another $50 for the Arrow collection but I wanted to make sure I'm actually paying for quality and not just fancier box art.

Sorry if this was the wrong place to post this, I didn't see a designated Gamera Arrow thread.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

^ Arrow's releases of the Heisei Gamera films are the best I've ever seen them look. The black levels and colors are more natural than Mill Creek's discs and there's more visible detail. G1's composite effects actually look better. G2 looks the least different because it already looks really good on Mill Creek's release but it has more visible detail too. G3 has the most noticeably different color correction, with flame-filled scenes now tinted orange and scenes high in the night sky now tinted blue, and that also helps to mask the film's weaker composite shots. At the same time, comparing Arrow's G3 disc to Mill Creek's reveals just how yellow-tinted a lot of the daytime scenes look on Mill Creek's release, with Arrow's disc having the more natural-looking colors overall.

Arrow's Heisei Gamera discs also include all of the extras from ADV's DVDs and Mill Creek's BRDs plus a lot more. All three films have video introductions by August Ragone, image galleries, and audio commentaries by Matt Frank on G1, by Kyle Yount on G2, and by Steve Ryfle & Ed Godziszewski on G3. The biggest additional special feature is a retrospective Japanese documentary from 2010 called "A Testimony of 15 Years" that runs more than six hours in total, split into three parts among each disc.

Plus, unlike Mill Creek's releases, Arrow's Heisei Gamera set includes Gamera the Brave on the fourth disc! It has an audio commentary by Keith Aiken & Bob Johnson, all of the extras from Media Blasters' release and even more ported Japanese extras.

Arrow's standard-edition Yokai Monsters collection is also available for $50 right now. Those movies are worth getting too!

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:43 pm Anyone who hasn't picked up the Arrow Blu-Ray releases for the Showa and Heisei Gamera films, as well as the Daimajin trilogy, might be interested to know that they are all on sale for 50% off on Amazon right now! I just ordered the Showa Gamera movies and the Daimajin trilogy.

I also have a question for anyone who has already purchased the Arrow release of the Heisei Gamera movies. How much of an upgrade in video and audio quality is it from the Mill Creek Blu-Rays? Like is it substantially better? I love the Heisei Gamera trilogy enough that I'm seriously considering dropping another $50 for the Arrow collection but I wanted to make sure I'm actually paying for quality and not just fancier box art.

Sorry if this was the wrong place to post this, I didn't see a designated Gamera Arrow thread.
Thanks for sharing! Just nabbed both Showa and Heisei. I already have the Mill Creek Heisei ones. But since I don't have Gamera the Brave, I have more incentive to go ahead and buy the Arrow release.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Thanks for the heads-up! I noticed it but I may have to wait to grab these. Moneys tight. Might get Daimaijin bc I don’t have a phys for that yet!
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

So I'm still making my way through Rebirth (pleasantly surprised by how good it is so far!), and I'm avoiding looking around online too much to avoid spoilers, but I happened upon this - new pictures of the 2015 Gamera model from the short film!

Shot in the dark, but would anybody happen to know what book/magazine these are from? Appears to be something recently released ('cause there's also concept art from Rebirth in it). These images are from a Tweet, but they neglected to share the source and I suspect they're reposted from somewhere else anyways.
Last edited by Shenanigans on Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Wow, Rebirth really took cues from that model huh? The chest looks almost the same.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:56 pm ^ Arrow's releases of the Heisei Gamera films are the best I've ever seen them look. The black levels and colors are more natural than Mill Creek's discs and there's more visible detail. G1's composite effects actually look better. G2 looks the least different because it already looks really good on Mill Creek's release but it has more visible detail too. G3 has the most noticeably different color correction, with flame-filled scenes now tinted orange and scenes high in the night sky now tinted blue, and that also helps to mask the film's weaker composite shots. At the same time, comparing Arrow's G3 disc to Mill Creek's reveals just how yellow-tinted a lot of the daytime scenes look on Mill Creek's release, with Arrow's disc having the more natural-looking colors overall.

Arrow's Heisei Gamera discs also include all of the extras from ADV's DVDs and Mill Creek's BRDs plus a lot more. All three films have video introductions by August Ragone, image galleries, and audio commentaries by Matt Frank on G1, by Kyle Yount on G2, and by Steve Ryfle & Ed Godziszewski on G3. The biggest additional special feature is a retrospective Japanese documentary from 2010 called "A Testimony of 15 Years" that runs more than six hours in total, split into three parts among each disc.

Plus, unlike Mill Creek's releases, Arrow's Heisei Gamera set includes Gamera the Brave on the fourth disc! It has an audio commentary by Keith Aiken & Bob Johnson, all of the extras from Media Blasters' release and even more ported Japanese extras.

Arrow's standard-edition Yokai Monsters collection is also available for $50 right now. Those movies are worth getting too!
Did they do away with the cringe-inducing bloopers and joke commentary? I remember way back in 2006 or so wanting to hear the thoughts of the folks behind G3, but what I got was some ridiculous discount MST3K-style riff featuring a posh-accented Gamera. In fact, anyone remember the redneck audio track for G2? It was fucking bizarre.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

In other news, apparently some concept art for a scrapped Gamera anime came out. It was scrapped after The Brave flopped at the box office.

Apparently even Zanon was supposed to reappear. There's also a lot of returning Showa monsters, Garasharp, and I think even a couple more members of Gamera's kind?
Last edited by Gigantis on Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.