Godzilla X Varan, Baragon and Anguirus

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

Which would you prefer?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:54 am

Godzilla X Varan, Baragon and Anguirus
75%
Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
25%

Total votes: 32

Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Godzilla X Varan, Baragon and Anguirus

Post by Legion1979 »

Please, please don't compare Toho and Godzilla to Marvel and the MCU. Just don't.

And actors ARE that big a deal in many cases. For a lot of people there is only going to be one cinematic Tony Stark or Dr Strange.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:39 pm Please, please don't compare Toho and Godzilla to Marvel and the MCU. Just don't.

And actors ARE that big a deal in many cases. For a lot of people there is only going to be one cinematic Tony Stark or Dr Strange.
Might as well complain we can’t all have only one cinematic Batman.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:22 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:39 pm Please, please don't compare Toho and Godzilla to Marvel and the MCU. Just don't.

Might as well complain we can’t all have only one cinematic Batman.
🍎 and 🍊 again.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

GigaBowserG wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:51 am
Gailah 1966 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:29 am The movie should have been realized as it was meant to. Reading the story behind the movie on the main page made clear for me how much I want this movie. Even if GMK was not bad but the "original" script would have fullfilled my kaiju dreams. To have Anguirus and Varan back, no matter who would get the "last man standing" role is like a dream come true.

Toho thought Mothra and King Ghidorah were the most popular kaiju next to Godzilla that time. But even here in the forums Anguirus was elected the most popular kaiju of all time. I don´t know what Toho`s marketing management was thinking back in 2000/2001. They asked the worng people or they asked "just main stream fans"
Real fans love Anguirus and Varan too.
There's a bit more to it than that. It wasn't an issue of fans not knowing who the monsters were, but general audiences, casual moviegoers. Kaneko mentioned that after Toho advised replacing Varan and Anguirus, he talked with some friends at a school reunion who had no idea who those monsters were, but were familiar with Mothra and King Ghidorah. Granted, Kaneko still tried to justify it as "It's not like you don't know who the monsters are, it's that you forgot who they are," but coupled with the fact he wanted to make a New Year's movie with a "festive" feel, this ended up helping to sway his decision (much to Shinada's dismay).
Mainstream always gets the preference. I wish he had talked to other guys not Beavis and Butthead
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Gailah 1966 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:31 am
Gailah 1966 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:29 am The movie should have been realized as it was meant to. Reading the story behind the movie on the main page made clear for me how much I want this movie. Even if GMK was not bad but the "original" script would have fullfilled my kaiju dreams. To have Anguirus and Varan back, no matter who would get the "last man standing" role is like a dream come true.

Toho thought Mothra and King Ghidorah were the most popular kaiju next to Godzilla that time. But even here in the forums Anguirus was elected the most popular kaiju of all time. I don´t know what Toho`s marketing management was thinking back in 2000/2001. They asked the worng people or they asked "just main stream fans"
Real fans love Anguirus and Varan too.
There's a bit more to it than that. It wasn't an issue of fans not knowing who the monsters were, but general audiences, casual moviegoers. Kaneko mentioned that after Toho advised replacing Varan and Anguirus, he talked with some friends at a school reunion who had no idea who those monsters were, but were familiar with Mothra and King Ghidorah. Granted, Kaneko still tried to justify it as "It's not like you don't know who the monsters are, it's that you forgot who they are," but coupled with the fact he wanted to make a New Year's movie with a "festive" feel, this ended up helping to sway his decision (much to Shinada's dismay).
Mainstream always gets the preference. I wish he had talked to other guys not Beavis and Butthead
Guarantee this movie wouldn't have done nearly as well if Mothra and Ghidorah weren't in it.

Also....what?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I still think Toho should take unused scripts and ideas like this and animate them.

The Godzilla, Mothra and Bagan saga after Biollante is another good one I'd want to see.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:39 am I still think Toho should take unused scripts and ideas like this and animate them.

The Godzilla, Mothra and Bagan saga after Biollante is another good one I'd want to see.
Manga or comic versions of these early scripts or even entirely unused proposals would be a lot of fun. The Heisei movies and some of the Millennium ones have those crazy-wacky and sometimes brutally violent manga adaptations. It'd be one way for Toho to continue expanding the Godzilla line in other mediums, while also basically having scripts/stories readily available to be converted to comic format. I'd love to see a high-octane interpretation of the battle between Godzilla and the 3 Guardian Monsters from this draft in all their bloody glory.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:01 am
Gailah 1966 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:31 am

Guarantee this movie wouldn't have done nearly as well if Mothra and Ghidorah weren't in it.

Also....what?
You are right. But 20 years later this movie would be an outstanding exception and a fan favorite for sure if they had used the original script kaiju.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

But it's still a fan favorite regardless. I'd rather not live in a world where this stars Angilas and Varan, the film ends up bombing and we're deprived of the two Kiryu films.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:43 am But it's still a fan favorite regardless. I'd rather not live in a world where this stars Angilas and Varan, the film ends up bombing and we're deprived of the two Kiryu films.
Remember like 10 years ago where there was a small group of people arguing that Mothra and Ghidorah were overused and GAV would have done better at the box office despite all evidence suggesting otherwise. Good times.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Box office has no correlation whatsoever with quality. You can a have a masterpiece that tanks and a shit film that breaks records.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:28 pm ^Box office has no correlation whatsoever with quality. You can a have a masterpiece that tanks and a shit film that breaks records.
While this is true I disagree that quality has nothing to do with box-office. Film is subjective but movies that people think aren't good are good to others.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

There are movies considered cult classics that did poorly with critics and others, but have some liked it enough that these "bad movies" are appreciated and still watched.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:43 am But it's still a fan favorite regardless. I'd rather not live in a world where this stars Angilas and Varan, the film ends up bombing and we're deprived of the two Kiryu films.
And Final Wars you could just take or leave, huh? Sounds about right. :lol:

I definitely wouldn't want Anguirus and Varan to make their live action returns in a film that bombs.* That would probably just guarantee that they'd never see the light of day again.

*Of course, Anguirus did have this happen with Final Wars, but all he had was a little cameo in that movie. Hopefully Toho isn't pathetic enough to blame him for that trainwreck's failure...
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I think we were lucky to get Anguirus in GFW. He doesn't get much love in Japan, so it was a treat to see him return on screen.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:38 pm I think we were lucky to get Anguirus in GFW. He doesn't get much love in Japan, so it was a treat to see him return on screen.
Just remember that he was originally supposed to be the corpse that washed ashore in Tokyo S.O.S., and murdered by his own best friend no less.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:51 pm
edgaguirus wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:38 pm I think we were lucky to get Anguirus in GFW. He doesn't get much love in Japan, so it was a treat to see him return on screen.
Just remember that he was originally supposed to be the corpse that washed ashore in Tokyo S.O.S., and murdered by his own best friend no less.
Angurius being Godzilla's best friend really shows you how Godzilla treats his friends. He also beat him up for saying hi to Gojirn lol.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I am surprised more fans haven't thought to mix and match a bit. I often wonder what if Varan remained in the lake and Mothra was the final god monster?
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Considering the history between Godzilla and Mothra, that would make sense to me. However, it also would have been nice to see Varan in combat so we could finally see what he can do. We can speculate about Varan's fighting potential but seeing him in action would make it easier.

Pròiseilvenator
Yojimbo

Post by Pròiseilvenator »

So I am probably a major outlier here, but GMK is and will probably always be in my top 3 Godzilla films. I'm in a weird spot though, because Anguirus was always my favorite kaiju growing up, so his exclusion does hurt a bit. I almost feel like I'm trapped between how cool/unique the movie could have been vs how much I love what we got!

While I would have loved to see the Varan, Anguirus and Baragon teamup, I actually really enjoyed seeing King Ghidorah as a hero for once. That doesn't seem to be a popular opinion here, but I guess that with Godzilla switching between good/bad guy so frequently, it doesn't sit wrong with me that this Ghidorah is a good guy. It just kind of is, as with any alternate timeline. I think they handled his relative weakness in the film well, by having him just be not finished growing. I first watched it when younger, so it's entirely possible that my brain was just impressionable and really enjoyed the mystic aura Ghidorah had in this one.

I will throw in that I could take or leave Mothra in this one. I liked some of her abilities this time around (stingers were pretty cool actually), but I really feel like she might be overrated as a kaiju aside from the ol' Leo films. Often times Mothra seems more like a punching bag/sacrificial pawn than a serious threat.

-------------

On a note I think we can all agree on, however, I would LOVE a new Anguirus appearance. I've always liked the stubborn/bulky appearance, but the design they had in mind for GMK was simply amazing, and I would be totally fine with seeing that version appear in film. Preferably without just getting bodied in the first few minutes too... After hearing those original Tokyo SOS plans, I'm not sure I trust Toho to use him right. 0.o