Godzilla X Varan, Baragon and Anguirus

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

Which would you prefer?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:54 am

Godzilla X Varan, Baragon and Anguirus
75%
Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
25%

Total votes: 32

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Re: Godzilla X Varan, Baragon and Anguirus

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

SonOfGorgo wrote:Yet you don't have a problem with Baragon? or Varan?
Besides, at least he would look like Anguirus anyway.
I don't care enough for Baragon either way, but yes. I've been saying Baragon was poorly cast as well. The only "guardian beast" that wasn't poorly cast was Mothra. As I said, the likes of Manda and King Caesar would have made the most sense for the types of roles that were written. Varan sort of makes sense because his original origin is tied to mythology and legend, even if he was just a generic kaiju that was worshiped as a deity by some superstitious villagers. Anguirus has never had that type of role. Again, it may be a "BUT MUH SHOWA" moment for me, but I just have no desire to see Godzilla and Anguirus fight each other as primary opponents in a film. It irked me in FW and would have irked me in GVA as well.

Example: When first watching Final Wars on a low quality cam rip back in 2004, I was super excited when Keizer Ghidorah appeared. Knowing Godzilla knocked Anguirus, Rodan and Caesar out cold, I was under the impression they'd be freed of alien control like the mutant guy was when Ozaki knocked him out. Here I was expecting Anguirus, Rodan and Caesar to rush in and save the day and we'd get the dream team taking on Keizer Ghidorah for the finale. But nope. -_- HUGE disappointment. Something like that I can get behind. Godzilla fighting Anguirus at some point and later joining forces.

Again, may be a "BUT MUH SHOWA" moment... But I just don't want to see Godzilla kill Anguirus or fight him as his main opponent in a whole film after growing up with them as partners and I just can't get behind the idea of Anguirus being revamped as a supernatural guardian like the GMK trio were.

As for Anguirus looking like Anguirus in GMK... Meh. I don't even like the design. Looks too much like a poodle as far as I can tell. Better than the pudgy FW one? Maybe.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I don't care if a monster's origins get changed as long as they look and act like themselves when they appear.

Angurius is my second favorite kaiju in the toho roster so he role in GVBA wouldn't have bothered me personally because its not the same Godzilla and Angurius who were more or less brothers in the showa series.

Its almost the saw way that Godzilla changed roles throughout his films.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

miguelnuva wrote:Godzilla and Angurius... were more or less brothers in the showa series.
That's a bit of an overstatement.

Look, I love Angilas, and the changing/evolving relationships among the monsters was part of what really got me into the series as a whole, but "more or less like brothers" is reading a lot into a series in which:

- They fought in their first appearance
- They were peaceful cohabitants and both part of a 10-monster team in DAM
- They partnered up for GvsGigan
- They were in the same vicinity briefly in GvsMegalon
- One fought the other's robot duplicate in GvsMG, but Angilas and Godzilla-proper didn't share any screen time

Their characterizations as individuals in those movies never go into the kind of depth that would be required to establish a relationship of the significance you suggest.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

eabaker wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Godzilla and Angurius... were more or less brothers in the showa series.
That's a bit of an overstatement.

Look, I love Angilas, and the changing/evolving relationships among the monsters was part of what really got me into the series as a whole, but "more or less like brothers" is reading a lot into a series in which:

- They fought in their first appearance
- They were peaceful cohabitants and both part of a 10-monster team in DAM
- They partnered up for GvsGigan
- They were in the same vicinity briefly in GvsMegalon
- One fought the other's robot duplicate in GvsMG, but Angilas and Godzilla-proper didn't share any screen time

Their characterizations as individuals in those movies never go into the kind of depth that would be required to establish a relationship of the significance you suggest.
Well GRA was a different Angurius but as for as showa goes

They first team up in 72,
In 73 Angurius falls into a sinkhole and Godzilla turns around and roars
In 74 Angurius trailed MechaG and fought him but understands Godzilla is the only one who can win so he calls for him and tries to buy some time. At least in the dub Godzilla and Angurius are also called friends.

By DAM they have been living together for over 20 years and, Angurius comes to help Godzilla defend the kilak base and in the final battle he despite the beating he takes is one of the only monsters to fight with Godzilla.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

MM Raids Again wrote:I don't care enough for Baragon either way, but yes. I've been saying Baragon was poorly cast as well. The only "guardian beast" that wasn't poorly cast was Mothra. As I said, the likes of Manda and King Caesar would have made the most sense for the types of roles that were written. Varan sort of makes sense because his original origin is tied to mythology and legend, even if he was just a generic kaiju that was worshiped as a deity by some superstitious villagers. Anguirus has never had that type of role. Again, it may be a "BUT MUH SHOWA" moment for me, but I just have no desire to see Godzilla and Anguirus fight each other as primary opponents in a film. It irked me in FW and would have irked me in GVA as well.

Example: When first watching Final Wars on a low quality cam rip back in 2004, I was super excited when Keizer Ghidorah appeared. Knowing Godzilla knocked Anguirus, Rodan and Caesar out cold, I was under the impression they'd be freed of alien control like the mutant guy was when Ozaki knocked him out. Here I was expecting Anguirus, Rodan and Caesar to rush in and save the day and we'd get the dream team taking on Keizer Ghidorah for the finale. But nope. -_- HUGE disappointment. Something like that I can get behind. Godzilla fighting Anguirus at some point and later joining forces.

Again, may be a "BUT MUH SHOWA" moment... But I just don't want to see Godzilla kill Anguirus or fight him as his main opponent in a whole film after growing up with them as partners and I just can't get behind the idea of Anguirus being revamped as a supernatural guardian like the GMK trio were.

As for Anguirus looking like Anguirus in GMK... Meh. I don't even like the design. Looks too much like a poodle as far as I can tell. Better than the pudgy FW one? Maybe.
While it's been a long while since I last saw Raids Again, I don't exactly recall that film going in depth into Anguirus' origin/backstory, so anything goes.
Maybe Battra instead maybe? As in King Caesar, Battra, Mothra and Manda.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Something we have to keep in mind is that while monsters like Mothra, Manda, King Caesar and Megalon traditionally have more fantasy leanings there's still not much rhyme or reason between them... Kaneko initially chose Baragon, Anguirus and Varan because their smaller statures could emphasize Godzilla's strength. Even with Mothra and Ghidorah in the final film purely for name recognition it helps give the film a grander 'golden age' feel akin to Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster which obviously caught on with audiences.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

tbeasley wrote:Something we have to keep in mind is that while monsters like Mothra, Manda, King Caesar and Megalon traditionally have more fantasy leanings there's still not much rhyme or reason between them... Kaneko initially chose Baragon, Anguirus and Varan because their smaller statures could emphasize Godzilla's strength. Even with Mothra and Ghidorah in the final film purely for name recognition it helps give the film a grander 'golden age' feel akin to Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster which obviously caught on with audiences.
Anguirus is still a poor choice then. Someone like Manda is even smaller than Anguirus.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

MothraRocks
Futurian

Post by MothraRocks »

Really cool having more details on this story, but I have to say, I'm kinda disappointed in the monster's abilities. Baragon is really hot? Anguirus is really cold? When near each other they create turbulance so Varan can glide? No. I would prefer if Baragon was either given his Heat ray or merely burrowing, if Anguirus had some kind of cold related power, or fired spikes off his tail or something, and Varan should just be able to glide anyway.

And maybe the story summary is missing a couple of details or something, but I would hope that they would be able to at least inflict some damage on Godzilla like Ghidorah did after launching the Spirit bomb thing. Otherwise it sounds like "Oh man the three guardians are dead... ok let's send out the Atragon that we could've sent out in the first place to kill Godzilla". Kind of anticlimatic IMO.
"And if something good can come from bad, the past can Rest In Peace."

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Shame the Anguirus design from this film didn't get used for Final Wars. The GVA design has something noble about it, the FW one just looks grumpy and overly designed.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

MothraRocks wrote:Really cool having more details on this story, but I have to say, I'm kinda disappointed in the monster's abilities. Baragon is really hot? Anguirus is really cold? When near each other they create turbulance so Varan can glide? No. I would prefer if Baragon was either given his Heat ray or merely burrowing, if Anguirus had some kind of cold related power, or fired spikes off his tail or something, and Varan should just be able to glide anyway.

And maybe the story summary is missing a couple of details or something, but I would hope that they would be able to at least inflict some damage on Godzilla like Ghidorah did after launching the Spirit bomb thing. Otherwise it sounds like "Oh man the three guardians are dead... ok let's send out the Atragon that we could've sent out in the first place to kill Godzilla". Kind of anticlimatic IMO.
I think the idea of Anguirus have something like a "Sub-Zero Breath" would be cool.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Shooting spikes off his tail would also be an appropriate power.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

MothraRocks wrote:And maybe the story summary is missing a couple of details or something, but I would hope that they would be able to at least inflict some damage on Godzilla like Ghidorah did after launching the Spirit bomb thing. Otherwise it sounds like "Oh man the three guardians are dead... ok let's send out the Atragon that we could've sent out in the first place to kill Godzilla". Kind of anticlimatic IMO.
Learned recently that the movie was actually going to be heavier on the tooth-and-claw action, with the monsters biting one another and shedding blood. But as you're probably aware, this bloodshed was toned down in the final product, with the only remnant being when Godzilla bites down on one of Ghidorah's necks. There also would've been more emphasis on the three guardians working together as one to take down Godzilla.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Yeah I like the idea of Manda and Caesar with Mothra, though the Anguirus, Varan, Baragon angle is not lacking in imagination. Mothra being the Guardian of the Sea simply does not make sense.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

orga_000
Yojimbo

Post by orga_000 »

I still like GMK better than this original script. Varan I can see why Toho would want to bring him back from the dead, but Baragon and Anguirus? Although Baragon is my favorite Millennium kaiju, he just doesn't make sense.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

orga_000 wrote:I still like GMK better than this original script. Varan I can see why Toho would want to bring him back from the dead, but Baragon and Anguirus? Although Baragon is my favorite Millennium kaiju, he just doesn't make sense.
He's super popular in Japan, that's more then enough reason for Toho

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Godzillian wrote:
orga_000 wrote:I still like GMK better than this original script. Varan I can see why Toho would want to bring him back from the dead, but Baragon and Anguirus? Although Baragon is my favorite Millennium kaiju, he just doesn't make sense.
He's super popular in Japan, that's more then enough reason for Toho
Super popular, DESPITE taking credit for Gorosaurus's work!

What a jerk...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Out of these, it's actually Varan who's the most questionable one to me :lol: But in the end, those 3 were all Kaneko's choices, while Ghidorah & Mothra were more Toho's.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GigaBowserG wrote:
Out of these, it's actually Varan who's the most questionable one to me :lol: But in the end, those 3 were all Kaneko's choices, while Ghidorah & Mothra were more Toho's.
I think orga_000's point was that there is a religious element to Varan's original movie, where there were historically no such implications around Baragon or Angilas, so Varan makes more sense in the context of the story.

orga_000
Yojimbo

Post by orga_000 »

eabaker wrote:
GigaBowserG wrote:
I think orga_000's point was that there is a religious element to Varan's original movie, where there were historically no such implications around Baragon or Angilas, so Varan makes more sense in the context of the story.
Thanks for translating my words. :D (THIS REPLY IS NOT TO MAKE YOU FEEL OFFENDED)

onerichman
Monsterland Worker

Post by onerichman »

As much as I love GMK I think they should have used Anguirus and Varan over Ghidorah and Mothra.