Godzilla X Varan, Baragon and Anguirus

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

Which would you prefer?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:54 am

Godzilla X Varan, Baragon and Anguirus
75%
Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
25%

Total votes: 32

Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Godzilla X Varan, Baragon and Anguirus

Post by Legion1979 »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:40 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:19 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:55 am

I wonder why. Is it in part due to the fact he lacks any fantastical abilities and that he debuted in a rushed, mediocre sequel?
The character probably just never caught on.
Do you have anything against the character?
Me? No....why do you ask?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:02 am Fans love Angilas here, but the reality is very different in Japan, where the monster has never been that popular.
Angurius was popular in the showa era. Him missing the Heisei era is likely why he took a dip into obscurity by the time GAV was being written.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

At least Anguirus has had a decent career. It's not surprising that Varan wasn't remembered. Varan's solo film has none of the feel or effect of the other solo outings, and his only other role is a very brief cameo.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:55 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:02 am Fans love Angilas here, but the reality is very different in Japan, where the monster has never been that popular.
Angurius was popular in the showa era. Him missing the Heisei era is likely why he took a dip into obscurity by the time GAV was being written.
I think the only reason why he was used so frequently in the later Showa era is because the ‘68 suit held up, not because Toho actually wanted to use him.

SokogekiGoji
Young Farmer

Post by SokogekiGoji »

I still prefer GMK over GVA, even if ghidorah as a protagonist was weird it still had that whimsical and fantastical feel that I think helped differentiate this film.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I would've preferred seeing Anguirus in the movie, but GMK is one the better Godzilla films IMO.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Yup, still wish it was this one that was made.

It would’ve been so cool seeing the Fire, Ice, and Wind elements coming into play more prominently, too.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I'm fine with what we got. I dont think the movie would have been nearly as successful if Angilas and Varan were in it. I cant even really picture a satisfying climax with those particular monsters.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:15 pm I'm fine with what we got. I dont think the movie would have been nearly as successful if Angilas and Varan were in it. I cant even really picture a satisfying climax with those particular monsters.
There is no correlation between success and quality. I mean that from outside of my own opinion on the film.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:15 pm I'm fine with what we got. I dont think the movie would have been nearly as successful if Angilas and Varan were in it. I cant even really picture a satisfying climax with those particular monsters.
Godzilla just blew all the monsters up, you could have gotten the same movie nearly shot for shot.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

This whole franchise has been clinging on to the popularity of Mothra and Ghidorah for too long. Toho needs to branch out and find new ways to revitalize other Kaiju to help them grow in popularity.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:55 pm This whole franchise has been clinging on to the popularity of Mothra and Ghidorah for too long. Toho needs to branch out and find new ways to revitalize other Kaiju to help them grow in popularity.
On one hand, yeah, this is true.

On the OTHER hand though, the last time Toho tried this with Orga and Megaguirus, it didn't work and the two of them got little more than cult followings at best, compared to the smash hit that GMK made literally just a couple years later. Toho isn't gonna give us some of the franchises lesser monsters until the results really show that we want them.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:55 pm This whole franchise has been clinging on to the popularity of Mothra and Ghidorah for too long. Toho needs to branch out and find new ways to revitalize other Kaiju to help them grow in popularity.
Mothra and Ghidorah fatigue is only a think in western parts of the fandom. Toho serves the Japanese audiance first.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^For the longest time, Marvel clung on mostly to the popularity of both Spiderman and the X-men, especially in later 20th century. Now that the MCU is a thing, virtually all of their characters are A-tier. If Marvel can get their act together and increase the cultural relevance of their characters to an astronomical degree, so can Toho with their B-tier and even C-tier kaiju.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Depending on how long this Monsterverse last, it could be the one to bring back kaiju like Anguirus and Battra. If they can make it big in the international market, Toho could be convinced to try a return.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

edgaguirus wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:23 pm Depending on how long this Monsterverse last, it could be the one to bring back kaiju like Anguirus and Battra. If they can make it big in the international market, Toho could be convinced to try a return.
Toho should try it themselves first.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:52 pm ^For the longest time, Marvel clung on mostly to the popularity of both Spiderman and the X-men, especially in later 20th century. Now that the MCU is a thing, virtually all of their characters are A-tier. If Marvel can get their act together and increase the cultural relevance of their characters to an astronomical degree, so can Toho with their B-tier and even C-tier kaiju.
You're comparing 🍎 and 🍊.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:52 am
LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:52 pm ^For the longest time, Marvel clung on mostly to the popularity of both Spiderman and the X-men, especially in later 20th century. Now that the MCU is a thing, virtually all of their characters are A-tier. If Marvel can get their act together and increase the cultural relevance of their characters to an astronomical degree, so can Toho with their B-tier and even C-tier kaiju.
Could you care to elaborate?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:07 pm
Ghidorah and Mothra are still stars in Japan, the wear out the fandom has for these characters is from the western side of the franchise. Godzilla also has finate movies when ever he returns. If we got a 10 film series from Godzilla for example it would be a blessing.

The mcu has no limit on the movies they want to make. Disney has said before their have Marvel and Star Wars films planned for a century for example.

The Mcu also has to worry about actors. Anyone can be Godzilla, Mothra or Ghidorah because they are the stars or they are cgi. A new Iron Man for example has yo follow in the footsteps on RDJ. All these combined means that the mcu eventually has to take chances on other characters where as Godzilla should take chances but doesn't have to.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:01 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:07 pm

Ghidorah and Mothra are still stars in Japan, the wear out the fandom has for these characters is from the western side of the franchise. Godzilla also has finite movies when ever he returns. If we got a 10 film series from Godzilla for example it would be a blessing.

The mcu has no limit on the movies they want to make. Disney has said before their have Marvel and Star Wars films planned for a century for example.

The Mcu also has to worry about actors. Anyone can be Godzilla, Mothra or Ghidorah because they are the stars or they are cgi. A new Iron Man for example has yo follow in the footsteps on RDJ. All these combined means that the mcu eventually has to take chances on other characters where as Godzilla should take chances but doesn't have to.
It's not like Disney can reboot the MCU completely one day, so I don't consider actors THAT big of a deal. Plus, if Toho had as much money and resources as Disney, allowing them to plan out Godzilla films for a century, would you be making the same argument?