Godzilla X Varan, Baragon and Anguirus

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

Which would you prefer?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:54 am

75%
Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
25%

Total votes: 32

kaiju ph
Young Farmer

Post by kaiju ph »

I wish they didn't cancel this movie for GMK. As good as GMK was I feel that it would have made more sense to have these 3 as opposed to Mothra and Ghidorah. We've seen both in enough movies. On top of that I feel that Ghidorah being a protagonist was a really wierd concept. I just couldn't think of him as a hero. What do you guys think? Was it a better choice making GMK or not?

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Godzilla X Varan, Baragon and Anguirus

Post by Tohosaurus »

Varan and Anguirus don't have the spectacle that KG and Mothra would've, even if KG as a protagonist still doesn't go over well with me.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

Easily the former for me. While I do like King Ghidorah, both Ghidorah and Mothra are way overdone. While it was nice to see Mothra get owned 1v1 again by Godzilla, Anguirus and Varan need a comeback. I love Baragon even though he always seems to get decimated whenever he shows up in a movie and I think Anguirus and Varan would blend in the movie well with him. The film would have a nice trinity of underrated monsters and might have sparked more popularity in them. Not to mention the abilities Ghidorah and Mothra possessed hinted at the scrapped appearances by Varan and Anguirus. Such as Mothra's projectile stinger. It is a shame Kaneko could not get creative control, because the Heisei Gamera films are pretty awesome as a whole as well as GMK for what it is.The man certainly knows what he is doing and I hope he gets involved in future projects.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I would've liked to see Anguirus and Varan as well. They're not as popular or provide the same spectacle, but it would've been a good trio. All of them tooth and claw dinos. They deserve some screen time, especially Varan. The kaiju hasn't had a scene since DAM. Kaneko had a good idea for bringing them back, but Toho had to have Mothra and Ghidorah.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

The decision to use Mothra and Ghidorah over Varan and Anguirus definitely rubs me the wrong way. Don't get me wrong, I love Mothra and Ghidorah, but they had appeared in sooo many Godzilla films already. Toho threw out Varan and Anguirus in favor of them because they were more popular, and the problem with that is, when are Varan and Anguirus going to get their chance to be in a film? Of course they aren't popular, Toho hadn't used either of them since the 70's. How can they ever be popular if they keep being canned in favor of other monsters? I'd be willing to bet that if Varan had been used as many times as Mothra has, he'd be very popular.

I still like GMK a lot and it's still one of my favorite films. But boy, are Varan and Anguirus due for more screen time. (And yes, I know Anguirus appeared in Final Wars. He still needs more love)

Varan
Ronin

Post by Varan »

I would love to see Varan again, He only got his own solo movie, and like 2 seconds in DAM.

Nightlight
Ronin

Post by Nightlight »

I think it would have been amazing to have Varan make a comeback-- especially since he hasn't appeared since DAM. I mean, the movie probably wouldn't be as much as a spectacle as GMK was, but I think it'd still be great to let those monsters--especially Varan--have more screen time.

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

Count me as one of those people who just doesn't see what's so damn special about Varan.

The hype backlash this film suffers from amongst the fan community these days astounds me. Kaneko even said the film wouldn't have worked with those original three monsters.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

I still would've loved to see Anguirus. You could have easily substituted him in for Baragon.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Ookondru99
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ookondru99 »

This would've been awesome, wouldn't have put Mothra and Ghidorah out of character, and would've made more sense why the guardian monsters get defeated relatively easily by goji. Millinium Varan would've been a plus 8-)
TK's Resident Red Bamboo :destoroyah:

Benn_Sonic_exe
Monsterland Worker

Post by Benn_Sonic_exe »

I would've prefered GVA over GMK.
AKA Jamie.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

They should have just replaced Baragon with Mechagodzilla, then they'd have all three overused Toho monsters as guardians. :lol:
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

MrGameguy
EDF Instructor

Post by MrGameguy »

While GMK is my favorite G film to date, I honestly would of risked it & chosen original idea.
Or at the very least, kept Varan & replaced Angurius with Ghidorah. (Mothra is overrated :P )
Originally known as TourettesGigan.

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaFan1992 »

Would of been way better if it was King Caesar and Manda instead. I feel they would of fit alot better.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

GodzillaFan1992 wrote:Would of been way better if it was King Caesar and Manda instead. I feel they would of fit alot better.
Gabara- Oni
King Caesar- Shisa
Orochi- well... Orochi

Now THAT would be neat.
Last edited by Lain Of The Wired on Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

^Oooh, that would be cool :D

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

GalacticPetey wrote:I still would've loved to see Anguirus. You could have easily substituted him in for Baragon.
That would have been the only change I would like to have seen.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

This film, had it been done the way it was originally intended, would have brought Anguirus back much sooner and Varan would finally have been given a chance to make it into the big leagues. At least, that's what I think would've happened. Oh well, we can dream, can't we?
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Yeah... if only...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

If they wanted to use a more popular kaiju for Varan's role, why not Rodan?
Have the Guardian Monsters be Rodan, Mothra and Baragon or Anguirus.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)