Talkback: The Mysterians (1957)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Re: Talkback: The Mysterians (1957)

Post by Stevo_1985 »

ThunderScore wrote:I think your first impression was correct...
That's a sweet picture. What I mean is that they could have easily just taken the earth by force thereby delaying or completely halting the construction of the markalite cannon.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

I've always been curious about the connections between THE MYSTERIANS and BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE.
Apart from sharing what might be considered the same characters (albeit played by different actors),
i.e. Etsuko and Dr. Adachi, it seems like a continuation of basically the same story - IMO...

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

I think I'm gonna watch that next. The local farmers market here has a Toho 3 pack collection with this in it I'm gonna pick up.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

Which version of THE MYSTERIANS did you watch? The Media Blasters DVD with their English dub?

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

VHS with English dub.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

That's good. If it's the VCI tape - that is the better dub, IMO. Wish the transfer looked better.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

ThunderScore wrote:That's good. If it's the VCI tape - that is the better dub, IMO. Wish the transfer looked better.
From what I'm reading media blaster released it with a new dub right? Yes the quality is far from great but not unwatchable. My space ameoba VHS on the other hand is atrocious lol.

Edit

I'm not complaining though. There was a time where most of my Godzilla collection were recorded on a series of blank tapes courtesy of TNT's monster vision mash.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

So which English dub do you think you saw? Also, was the VHS of SPACE AMEOBA titled YOG MONSTER FROM SPACE?

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

The MB dub is way too literal at times. It just comes off as awkward. The original dub's script simplifies (or sometimes expands upon) a lot of lines to stuff that sounds better in English.

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

IMO, most of the voice talent on that sounded too young to be convincing as older people.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

ThunderScore wrote:IMO, most of the voice talent on that sounded too young to be convincing as older people.
Only dubber I thought was pretty decent was Shimura's (Michael McConnohie).

Harold Conway's character, though. Oh boy, what were they thinking?

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

Exactly. He was the only decent voice in MB's dub. IIRC, THE MYSTERIANS was an early Titra dub.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

One thing I admire about the RKO dub is how they really make use of when they can dub. For instance, the scene below squeezes so much more info into the Markalite blueprint scene compared to the other, it's really quite impressive.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2bp8m ... shortfilms

Also, Harold Conways character. What were they thinking? "Good news, good news. This will please you. It is a new machine."
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

ThunderScore wrote:IIRC, THE MYSTERIANS was an early Titra dub.
Not under the studio itself, but some of the key NY players are in there (e.g. Bret Morrison as Tetsu Nakamura's character, Anthony La Penna in a number of roles).

The earlier Rashomon dub is a lot closer to later Titra/Titan efforts dubbing-wise (like the "accents").

It's unfortunate that the MGM/RKO version has been swept under the rug since it was essentially the first time a Toho Sci-Fi effort was just given a rather straightforward English version.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

This is kinda crappy. I mean I'm gonna get my hands on the DVD for the jap. version but I would love to have a remastered version with the original dub.
GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:One thing I admire about the RKO dub is how they really make use of when they can dub. For instance, the scene below squeezes so much more info into the Markalite blueprint scene compared to the other, it's really quite impressive.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2bp8m ... shortfilms

Also, Harold Conways character. What were they thinking? "Good news, good news. This will please you. It is a new machine."

Jeez.. the aliens voice sounds so forced.. I'm being dead honest here it sounds like when my 4 yr old kid does her robot voice impression.

Added in 17 hours 44 minutes 18 seconds:
Edit

Maybe someone can help me out here. I watched it again as I'm finding I really enjoy this film.. Having not seen the original cut, did the Americans really invent the Markalite cannon or was that just interjected into the us release. Akin to how altered G85 was with the Russians.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Wonder9fanboy
Ronin

Post by Wonder9fanboy »

Pure awesomeness. I even like this film better than 1953's War of the Worlds, too. The Mysterians is my al time space invader, with Mars Attacks a close second.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Film is fantastic. I think my younger self used to dislike this film because I watched it only because of Mogera and was disappointed when it got dispatched relatively early.

The film does a good job at building up to the Mysterians, by having the fire, the landslide and then Mogera, before revealing the main antagonistic threat a third of the way through.

Let me also just add that Mogera is really creepy. The way it initially emerges from the mountain, and just sort of walks along is really creepy.

Anti-War and anti colonial themes are very prevalent here.

Also, this film came out 20 years before Star Wars. I can see it as a direct inspiration although I’m sure people have brought it up.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Let me also just add that Mogera is really creepy. The way it initially emerges from the mountain, and just sort of walks along is really creepy.
Big improvement in the music department by Ifukube, too. The music for the Moguera scenes is almost like a funeral dirge. Way better than his work on the Meganulon scenes in Rodan.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:43 am Let me also just add that Mogera is really creepy. The way it initially emerges from the mountain, and just sort of walks along is really creepy.
Necro-bump: I've revisited The Mysterians a couple of times recently, and I think Mogera wading through the Fuji village with all the classic Japanese architecture aflame is now firmly one of my favorite kaiju rampages. The photography is pretty similar to Godzilla's second 1954 attack, only this time in Eastmancolor and TohoScope.

Some doomy Mogera shots from the gross Toho transfer. They're obviously more impressive in motion but I didn't wanna make that many gifs.
Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:00 pm -snip-
Definitely.
One stand out moment is when the female lead is in the bathtub and we sort of see Moguera in the background. And the scene where they try to strategically destroy it on the bridge. Haven't seen this in a year, so those popping up in my mind instantly speak to how great it is. I love the rest of the film, but I think it's a bit of a shame how the movie has such a great destruction scene.

Moguera has a fantastic design of being an alien robot but also being really unique. I sort of wish Showa Moguera, as an alien invader could make a comeback. The Heisei Moguera has completely overshadowed the original design in the fanbase.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.