Guide to Toho Film/TV Distributors

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: Guide to Toho Film/TV Distributors

Post by mikelcho »

Just found these things that have to be put in:

The Mysterians, Varan, and Matango:

*...and triple feature box set entitled "Toho Pack" are both out of print. (no hyphen)

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II

*...the Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II/Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla...

Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla

*...or the Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II/Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla double feature Blu-ray from Sony.

all three Rebirth of Mothra films

*double feature DVD... (again, no hyphen)

Also, don't forget that The Toho Godzilla Collection Vol. 2 (single release) and the box set The Toho Godzilla Collection Vol. 1 & 2 are both out of print now just like The Toho Godzilla Collection Vol. 1 (single release) is.
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I'll leave the hyphens in for now as it's grammatically correct (you can use a hyphen in these situations) and not specifying an actual movie title. The Vol 2 will be updated to "out of print" once it essentially disappears at normal prices online. Seems like retailers are still selling their remaining stock and when you say something is OOP unfortunately people equate it with being completely unavailable. But thanks to your research we can at least confirm it's OOP and avoid the "may be out of print" ambiguity for a number of titles!
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Tohosaurus wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:28 am I'll leave the hyphens in for now as it's grammatically correct (you can use a hyphen in these situations) and not specifying an actual movie title. The Vol 2 will be updated to "out of print" once it essentially disappears at normal prices online. Seems like retailers are still selling their remaining stock and when you say something is OOP unfortunately people equate it with being completely unavailable. But thanks to your research we can at least confirm it's OOP and avoid the "may be out of print" ambiguity for a number of titles!
Thanks! Glad I could help!

The only thing that's left to be done is to fix the Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla section as mentioned above.

UPDATE: I see you fixed it; thanks! Only two goofs, however, in the G vs. MG II section, it should be written "double-feature Blu-ray from Sony" (I guess you forgot to either include or fix that one) and as for the other one, I've got a question: should the part in G vs. SG that says "Currently available on a Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II/Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla double-feature DVD or Blu-ray" be changed to "Corrently available in the Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II/Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla double-feature Blu-ray from Sony"? I believe it should be.

UPDATE: I was wrong; it should say "Currently available on a Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla/Godzilla vs. Destoroyah double-feature DVD or the Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II/Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla double-feature Blu-ray from Sony." If this can be put in, that should do it. Thanks!
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:11 pm, edited 11 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Hey, did you get my last post? There's something that still needs to be done.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Got a question: are Attack on Titan and Attack on Titan: End of the World two separate releases? They also look like they'd be interesting to watch.

Also, are you ever going to fix the entry for Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla? That would be nice if you did; then that'd be up to date.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I just saw you fixed it; thanks a million!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I noticed one Toho film you don't have on this guide: Yamato Takeru a.k.a. Orochi, the Eight-Headed Dragon (1994).

Also, The Mysterians, Varan, and Matango should all say "...and triple-feature box set entitled "Toho Pack...", since it is a box set.

Finally, both Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II and all the Sony-owned Godzilla films from Godzilla 2000 to Godzilla: Final Wars (with the exception of GMK, which already says this) should all say "Currently available on individual DVD,...".
Last edited by mikelcho on Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Just found another typo. Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla should say "...or the Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II/Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla double-feature Blu-ray from Sony." You know, just like Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II says before it.
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Here's more typos I just found:

*Onmyoji and Onmyoji II should both say "Currently available on DVD and a double-feature DVD set entitled "Onmyoji Collection" from Geneon.
*Godzilla Raids Again: "...in the Criterion Blu-ray set entitled..."
*King Kong vs. Godzilla, Mothra vs. Godzilla, Ghidorah, the three-Headed Monster and Invasion of Astro-Monster should all say this: "...and a Blu-ray of the movie is included in the..."
*Zone Fighter: "...has ever been available outside of Japan."
*Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla: "A Blu-ray of the movie is included in the..."

Also, the typo I mentioned in my previous post above still hasn't been done yet.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Have there been any recent news or shake ups involving distribution rights to any of the films changing hands?

I heard Janus films screened a couple of Heisei films fairly recently...that can have zero to do with home market rights...but I heard it was Return of Godzilla and Biollante...which have spent a lot of their history sort of homeless on disc in the US.

I wonder if Janus/Criterion would ever feel compelled to make a grab for as many of the films as possible...even as a "future proofing" type of preparation.

If Toho EVENTUALLY restores all of the films in 4K and EVENTUALLY permits international distributors to source those masters....then it would make sense for any company that can afford it to align themselves to take advantage of that.

Spine 1000, in the long run, may just end up being a stepping stone to much bigger potential releases down the road. It selling well may have shown that there is a big, exploitable market for a more lavish and ambitious release....when the time comes.

Classic Media did their bare bones full frame DVD releases of the 5 or so films they had at the time, and then later followed up with the collectors editions that had the commentaries, both versions of the films, etc

When the Olympic Films set came out I remember reading that it had been getting developed and worked on for years. Who knows what might be getting cooked up as we speak.

Janus/Criterion being good bedmates with Toho certainly isn't a bad thing for future prospective releases. I expect any and all future vintage Godzilla releases will come from boutique and specialty companies and not from any major studio.

Sure...most of the Heisei and Millennium films don't carry the cultural impact or significance of the Showa Era, but there is a generation of fans raised on those films, brought to the franchise through their VHS, DVD and TV releases. They DO have a lot of meaning to their own corner of the culture. I'm one of the kids whose first Toho Godzilla experience in a theater was Godzilla 2000.

If any Godzilla film is as deserving of a Criterion release as the original, it would be Shin Godzilla. That could be its own stand alone release without any other films included.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Crispy, you keep doing these same home media thought exercises over and over again. You keep coming back to these threads just to keep repeating yourself.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

The heart wants what the heart wants, man.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

canofhumdingers wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:19 am The heart wants what the heart wants, man.
It's called "speaking it into existence" :mrgreen:

You'll all thank me one day 8-)

Plus there isn't much else to do in a thread like this, might as well hope and pray for the best possible outcome.

70th anniversary might be the final chance at a last big hurrah for a quality physical media cash in on the Godzilla backlog. We just need Toho to play nice and be generous, and to find the right folks here in the US to play nice and be generous with.

I've noticed that it seems like the Funimation(Now Crunchyroll) Shin Godzilla Bu Rays(the original and re-issue) are both out of print as well. Wonder what that might say about the status of that particular film.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Chrispy_G wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:36 pm
Plus there isn't much else to do in a thread like this, might as well hope and pray for the best possible outcome.
There's no clause for the forum saying you have to post, you know.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The thing is, odds don't favor any company putting out a complete Godzilla movie box set. Odds certainly don't favor any company redubbing the entire series either. But Crispy keeps bringing it up. Once or twice? Go nuts. But, at the risk of someone throwing a "no fun allowed" picture at me, after a while it should be time to realize you should come up with a different thing to talk about.

I know "what if" topics are popular around here but still....

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:35 pm The thing is, odds don't favor any company putting out a complete Godzilla movie box set. Odds certainly don't favor any company redubbing the entire series either. But Crispy keeps bringing it up. Once or twice? Go nuts. But, at the risk of someone throwing a "no fun allowed" picture at me, after a while it should be time to realize you should come up with a different thing to talk about.

I know "what if" topics are popular around here but still....
Yeah, no company will ever get them all, there might be a way for a single company to get all of the Toho-produced films, but companies like Sony and WB that have made their own US productions would not yield the movies to the other in the name of 'a big mega box set'

But the Toho films could find one consistent North American home. All that takes is for the ever-aging films and rights to lapse, and for a single company to be interested enough in grabbing them all. I would never expect a big 30 disc Box Set because in todays day and age that seems a little extreme. Most I would expect would be a multi-volume release to break the series up into 3 or 4 sets to keep them all affordable and maximize return on investment.

The 'Re-dub all the old films' thing would probably have to come from Toho themselves "deciding" in their infinite wisdom that the new 4K versions of the films all need to have their own "matching" export English Dubs for international distributors to use. It would have to be some kind of scenario like that. I don't wager they would be of particularly high quality, but hard to imagine they could be worse than any of the typical stuff that already exists for the first 50 years of G films.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

See, you're doing it again...

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Regardless of whether or not this possibility is an interesting on to discuss, it is not one that is really relevant to this thread.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

Gamera still has the advantage of Godzilla in Japanese-made films released in 4K of 3 Ultra HD Blu-ray disc releases to 2 (KKvG & Shin). And I just got through buying the Arrow video sets! :lol:

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Great Hierophant wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:40 pm Gamera still has the advantage of Godzilla in Japanese-made films released in 4K of 3 Ultra HD Blu-ray disc releases to 2 (KKvG & Shin). And I just got through buying the Arrow video sets! :lol:
I expect Toho will rectify that inequity at least in Japan. The 70th anniversary is coming up. Plenty of 4K restorsrions have been made public. Who knows how many they have been working on internally.

Newer films would probably take a fraction of the time as the old, beat up entries.

On the other side...You give them a few years, and if given access to the restorations...Arrow will probably cook up an upgrade for Gamera.