Guide to Toho Film/TV Distributors

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
ShoMustGo2054
Young Farmer

Re: Guide to Toho Film/TV Distributors

Post by ShoMustGo2054 »

I read that there was a screening of The Return of Godzilla and Godzilla vs Biollante that had the Janus logo on them.

I think that means Criterion has those rights now even if they haven't put them out on Blu Ray yet.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

I believe Criterion is a subsidiary of Janus. My understanding is Janus is the film distribution/theatrical side of the business while criterion is the home video division. Seeing as theatrical rights and home video rights are not equivalent, there’s no guarantee that criterion has the home video rights even if Janus did get the theatrical rights. But given the symbiotic nature of the two labels, it would not be surprising to see criterion acquire the home video rights if they can.

I actually saw a theatrical double feature of RoG and Biollante at the Alamo Drafthouse in Brooklyn a while back. Now I’m trying to remember if it had the Janus logo before the films. I want to say it did, but I can’t remember for certain.

heiseigodzilla425
GPN Volunteer

Post by heiseigodzilla425 »

canofhumdingers wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:06 am I actually saw a theatrical double feature of RoG and Biollante at the Alamo Drafthouse in Brooklyn a while back. Now I’m trying to remember if it had the Janus logo before the films. I want to say it did, but I can’t remember for certain.
I also saw Alamo's double feature, and it did have the Janus logo. I was specifically looking for that.

Also, Sony apparently let their rights to GvKG and GvM:BFE lapse, since that BD set is OOP. So if screenings of those pop up with the Janus logo, then that might indicate Criterion wants to do a Heisei set as well.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Very interesting. Very interesting, indeed.

If Criterion releases all seven of the Heisei Godzilla films unedited and in Japanese with accurate English subtitles in a Blu-ray box set, that'd go great with my Criterion Blu-ray release of Godzilla (1954)! I'd have the entire Heisei story line from beginning to end! Maybe, just maybe, mind you, they could even include the Rebirth of Mothra trilogy in it in the same way as well!

Notice I said "If", however.
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I don't think the world is ready now (nor will it ever be) for the Mothra trilogy in the Criterion Collection.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:26 am I don't think the world is ready now (nor will it ever be) for the Mothra trilogy in the Criterion Collection.
Ehh, okay, skip the RoM trilogy. The seven Heisei Godzilla films will be just fine with me...I'm willing to be flexible.

wahoo123
Ronin

Post by wahoo123 »

I just saw a post on a different forum where the user revealed that the Danish Film Institute has issued a stop order on booking and screening any Toho films, as Toho is now too expensive to deal with. Does anyone here know what Toho's endgame here is with their stupid antics? They must realize that losing foreign customers will hurt them.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

wahoo123 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:40 am I just saw a post on a different forum where the user revealed that the Danish Film Institute has issued a stop order on booking and screening any Toho films, as Toho is now too expensive to deal with. Does anyone here know what Toho's endgame here is with their stupid antics? They must realize that losing foreign customers will hurt them.
Can you provide some context and/or more info? Seems like a lot to extrapolate from a relatively small amount of info.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

wahoo123
Ronin

Post by wahoo123 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:47 am
wahoo123 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:40 am I just saw a post on a different forum where the user revealed that the Danish Film Institute has issued a stop order on booking and screening any Toho films, as Toho is now too expensive to deal with. Does anyone here know what Toho's endgame here is with their stupid antics? They must realize that losing foreign customers will hurt them.
Can you provide some context and/or more info? Seems like a lot to extrapolate from a relatively small amount of info.
I should added this in my first post but apologies if this was the wrong place to post this.

I was reading a discussion on the recent Japanese releases at the Bluray Forum and one user posted the following that I thought would have been of interest to this forum:
Speaking of Japanese films, I was just told by someone from DFI yesterday that Toho now have become so expensive to deal with that our national film museum have issued a full stop on booking any of their movies for screening.

We have long known from labels that Toho were/ are hard to deal with and expensive, but when even a national film institute throws the towel in, it does not bode well for home video releases (they have a rather large budget for booking films and they are not obligated to make any form of profit on the screenings, so Toho's prices must be close to extortion).
Since it doesn't look like they are going to decrease licensing costs, I was just wondering if anyone knew what Toho is trying to achieve with this bizarre business strategy. It's not a good look when bluray companies are refusing to deal with you and it's definitely not a good look when the national film institutes are issuing orders to stop booking screenings with you.

enhancelabored
Young Farmer

Post by enhancelabored »

Just to clarify, the Criterion Blu-ray edition of Godzilla does indeed include "King of the Monsters" as well. While I haven't had the chance to watch it yet myself (probably this weekend), both the box and the menu confirm its presence. So, rest assured, fans of the monstrous saga can enjoy the full experience with this comprehensive edition.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Come again? Was anyone actually questioning if KOTM56 was on this set? Its your first post, what are you clarifying?

Or is this ANOTHER bot?

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:13 pm Come again? Was anyone actually questioning if KOTM56 was on this set? Its your first post, what are you clarifying?

Or is this ANOTHER bot?
I think the "So, rest assured, fans of the monstrous saga can enjoy the full experience with this comprehensive edition" pretty much confirms it's a bot...
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)