Godzilla: The Animated Series

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)

What are your thoughts?

LOVE IT
36%
Like it
42%
Neutral
11%
Dislike it
5%
ARRRGHH SKREEENK GINO
6%

Total votes: 194

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Re: Godzilla: The Animated Series

Post by Al Diplodocus »

edgaguirus wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:26 pm They had a kaiju, the Silver Hydra, that was living mineral. Sci fi is full of conjecture on life based on some element other than carbon, but we get little explanation or dialogue about that in the episode. Besides, they were more concerned with stopping the sphinx than what made it alive.

The series had a creative menagerie of creatures that varied, which is one of the show's strengths.
Yeah, I did love the designs and diversity. Still, even the Silver Hydra fit in with the Science Fiction territory, while Norrzug has no such excuse.

Meanwhile, its well known that many of the monsters were based off or hamages to Toho and other Japanese-made kaiju to get around rights issues, but not all of them did. I'm just gonna submit a few of them I've had of what if they were (more will come later).
- "Gorosaurus": A giant mutant chicken and its flock, created in an Indonesia by a genetic experiment gone wrong. Because of atavism, it has a long bony tail and small but sharp teeth in the beak's back; it only has feathers on the back, neck, and wings, and none on the sides and belly in lieu of scaly skin. Its main methods of offense and defense are powerful claw-tipped legs that can deliver powerful punches, sharp, irritant feathers that can be launched like fletchettes or be released when opponent bite down, and oscillating sonic vocalisations derived from its crowing, accentuated by it having a group that fights along it. Most people (especially Randy) would be non-plussed if not amused by the idea of a chicken kaiju, but these are quickly shot down by it being a surprisingly lethal opponent to Godzilla.
- "Zone Fighter"/"Ultraman": An everyday joe of Japanese descent who one day while out walking in the wilderness of Oregon discovered a crashed alien probe and bonded with an alien symbiote much like the one in Juggernaut. The symbiote allows him to grow into a 60-metre techno-organic entity that can move at superhuman speed and strength and fire blasts of energy, and shift between four forms: a balanced default one, a gracile speedster, a muscular form, a long-range fighter. However, while he uses this for good and fight other monsters and solve other problems, it takes an enormous strain on his mind.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Love the series and it really did feel like a big apology for the 98 film improving all aspects of it and making something I still adore to this day.

With that said, anyone else feel like some of the episodes were out of order? Like why did we get the King Cobra introduction episode AFTER the Monster Wars Trilogy where it made an appearance? Or why did the characters complain of concerns of collateral damage with Godzilla near the end of the season rather than earlier on?
Last edited by godjacob on Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

This series is definitely (as said by godjacob) a great apology for the wrongs of ‘98. The action is great, the stories are enjoyable and can keep me engaged, and the Monster Wars arc is still some of my favourite American Godzilla media.
For Emperor and Empire!

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

godjacob wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:50 am Love the series and it really did feel like a big apology for the 98 film improving all aspects of it and making something I still adore to this day.

With that said, anyone else feel like some of the episodes were out of order? Like why did we get the King Cobra introduction episode AFTER the Monster Wars Trilogy where it made an appearance? Or why did the characters complain of concerns of collateral damage with Godzilla near the end of the season rather than earlier on?
Where and how did you watch the series? I'm pretty sure that King Cobra was introduced before the MW trilogy. I don't know that I would call this series an apology for 98 only an indication of the different approaches the two creative teams took. The 98 team wanted to reinvent the character and the series team wanted to recreate the Godzilla films they grew up with.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

cloverfan98 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:22 am
godjacob wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:50 am Love the series and it really did feel like a big apology for the 98 film improving all aspects of it and making something I still adore to this day.

Where and how did you watch the series? I'm pretty sure that King Cobra was introduced before the MW trilogy. I don't know that I would call this series an apology for 98 only an indication of the different approaches the two creative teams took. The 98 team wanted to reinvent the character and the series team wanted to recreate the Godzilla films they grew up with.
When it originally aired, they had the Monster War Trilogy with the very next episode being the one to introduce King Cobra. I heard the DVD of the series placed the MWT at the end like it should be but I do not own such a collection.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

godjacob wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:27 pm
cloverfan98 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:22 am

When it originally aired, they had the Monster War Trilogy with the very next episode being the one to introduce King Cobra. I heard the DVD of the series placed the MWT at the end like it should be but I do not own such a collection.
You're right. The DVD complete series set had the episodes in order of occurance, not the broadcast order. I'd say: get the series! You won't regret it, believe me.

It's like another TV series the same company released on DVD, Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century: The Complete 26 Episode Series. That set had the episodes in the U.K. order of release, not the U.S. order, which was entirely different.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

GINO done right.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Question: shouldn't the Lizard Slayers be in the Godzilla: The Series section in TV Monster Bios instead of Aliens, SDF and Misc.?

Or should the Cyber-Flies and both the Albino Yeti and the Robo-Yeti be placed in the latter category since they're mechas and not mutations?
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Also, shouldn't the Swamp Beast's bio page be after pg. 24, not at the end of the list?

I mean, since the list seems to be doing the creatures and their episodes' bio pages in the actual occurance order and not the broadcast one...
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Well, I just the TV Monsters Bios for this series and only four episodes out of 40 are left: episodes 17, 25 and 39-40.

To whoever's doing this I say: Great job! Keep up the good work! Only one thing wrong with it: it should be D.R.A.G.M.A. and Premature D.R.A.G.M.A. The name is actually an acronym. Also, it's El Gusano Gigante, not El Gusano, and it's Quetzalcoatl's Chicks (the apostrophe-s is missing). Finally, my guess is that the Lizard Slayers are in episode 25 and just haven't been put in yet?

Now if the same thing could just be done to the bios for the Hanna-Barbera monsters from Godzilla...
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:25 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

mikelcho wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:52 pm Well, I just the TV Monsters Bios for this series and only four episodes out of 40 are left: episodes 17, 25 and 39-40.

To whoever's doing this I say: Great job! Keep up the good work! Only one thing wrong with it: it should be D.R.A.G.M.A. and Premature D.R.A.G.M.A. The name is actually an acronym. Also, it's El Gusano Gigante, not El Gusano, and it's Quetzalcoatl's Chicks (the apostrophe-s is missing). Finally, my guess is that the Lizard Slayers are in episode 25 and just haven't been put in yet?

Now if the same thing could just be done to the bios for the Hanna-Barbera monsters from Godzilla...
Thanks. :)

Working on 'em. Netflix anime trilogy bios have also been finished and waiting to be put up.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

mikelcho wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:52 pm Well, I just the TV Monsters Bios for this series and only four episodes out of 40 are left: episodes 17, 25 and 39-40.

17 . . . didn't have any new monsters, it was the 3rd and final part of the whole "Monster Wars" series, so it just reused the monsters from Parts 1 and 2. Meanwhile, the Lizard Slayers were placed in the Aliens/SDF section.

The naming convention for the Dragmas was treated similarly as Heisei Moguera, though I could see an argument for at least all caps DRAGMA like the MUTO. A handful of sources typically opted not to uppercase all the lettering of their name, though, like the SciFi Japan article. Kind of a similar thing with El Gusano, plenty of sources shorten the name (books, games, and even the show), but his full name is still referenced in the trivia. Intentional naming scheme for the chicks, since they are both Quetzalcoatl's chicks and... Quetzalcoatl chicks :)
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

GigaBowserG wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:26 pm
mikelcho wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:52 pm Well, I just looked at the TV Monsters Bios for this series and only four episodes out of 40 are left: episodes 17, 25 and 39-40.

17 . . . didn't have any new monsters, it was the 3rd and final part of the whole "Monster Wars" series, so it just reused the monsters from Parts 1 and 2. Meanwhile, the Lizard Slayers were placed in the Aliens/SDF section.

The naming convention for the Dragmas was treated similarly as Heisei Moguera, though I could see an argument for at least all caps DRAGMA like the MUTO. A handful of sources typically opted not to uppercase all the lettering of their name, though, like the SciFi Japan article. Kind of a similar thing with El Gusano, plenty of sources shorten the name (books, games, and even the show), but his full name is still referenced in the trivia. Intentional naming scheme for the chicks, since they are both Quetzalcoatl's chicks and... Quetzalcoatl chicks :)
Thanks! That sure helps. I should've known about episode 17, silly me!

Actually, I just looked in the TV Aliens, SDF & Misc. section of Aliens, SDF & Misc. and the Lizard Slayers aren't there. There isn't even a post for Godzilla: The Series in it at all. Could this be fixed, please?

Added in 5 minutes 53 seconds:
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:13 am
mikelcho wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:52 pm Well, I just looked up the TV Monsters Bios for this series and only four episodes out of 40 are left: episodes 17, 25 and 39-40.

Thanks. :)

Working on 'em. Netflix anime trilogy bios have also been finished and waiting to be put up.
Great, thanks! It'll be nice to see all of them finally done and updated after all these years of having to look at just the first two monsters' articles in an embryonic state.
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:40 pm, edited 11 times in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

With the all the GTS bios we have, I'm surprised we haven't seen them being used in many fantasy matches.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I'm not sure how this series was initially "finished" and completed...like, if it was done with cel animation and finished on 16mm or if it was finished on some type of SD tape.

But if it could get some kind of HD remaster and presentation, that would be great.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Only one episode left to go in the TV Monsters Bios section for this series! Sweet!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

All we need is the big bad Rhinosaurus.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

edgaguirus wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:55 pm All we need is the big bad Rhinosaurus.
And the Giant Water Beetle and Giant Centipede, which we've now got.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

edgaguirus wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:55 pm All we need is the big bad Rhinosaurus.
All done! And thank goodness it's all done in my lifetime!

Next up to be updated and finished: Godzilla (Hanna-Barbera)!

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

This thing never came out where I live and I'll forever loathe my country for this - I would've DEVOURED this stuff as a kid. I was addicted to Alienators and Martin Mystere...
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.