Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee (Gamecube/Xbox)

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Re: Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee (Gamecube/Xbox)

Post by Gojira tai Mosura »

tenup wrote:The one thing this game has over the rest are the post battle replays. There are alot of benefits to the feature however it was the only game to include it. I remember many epic finishers and with the replay showing different angles of the final moments of the battle it made it more rewarding. I dont understand why they didnt keep this feature in the remainder of the series? Also I didnt like how they interupted the victory poses with stupid point displays in GSTE and Unleashed.
I agree. Those were awesome, and the "victory poses" looked dumb half of the time in Save the Earth and Unleashed.
Heck, in Unleashed, Biollante's victory pose only shows her chest downward because the Camera has no idea how to Biollante.
Gojira Tai Mosura: Clumsiest Toho Kingdom Member Ever.
I disappear for fifteen thousand minutes, come back for two seconds.

Superrex
G-Grasper

Post by Superrex »

I believe the reason the replays were taken out was because the PS2 version of Save the Earth couldn't handle them, so they did away with them all together. If believe it's in an interview on the site.

Edit: http://www.tohokingdom.com/vg/gste/interview.htm
There you go.
I'm guessing this may be a reason why we never got a PS2 version of DAMM.
Probably the unluckiest guy in the Shadow Arena
Shadow Arena History:
Wins:7
Defeats:8
Chris55 wrote:
wisper15 wrote:I sucks donkey dick.
"He's really bad at it too!"

-The donkey

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

deleted
Last edited by F4ZaTE_X on Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derzerb wrote:And his name is WARNED USER

BurningGMK54
Monsterland Worker

Post by BurningGMK54 »

Superrex wrote:I believe the reason the replays were taken out was because the PS2 version of Save the Earth couldn't handle them, so they did away with them all together. If believe it's in an interview on the site.

There you go.
This honestly still doesn't make much sense. I get that STE is a complicated game but there were a couple games on the ps2 that were capable of replays AND were probably just as complicated as STE (Example: Ace Combat Zero).

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

While it was cool, it wasn't a necessity. I think replays didn't really fit in with the "tone" of StE.

Like, G:DAMM had a sort of comedic, campy feel to it, while StE was almost Heisei-like in tone: serious, but not dark.

Instant replays are the kind of thing you see on wrestling.

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

UltramanGoji wrote:While it was cool, it wasn't a necessity. I think replays didn't really fit in with the "tone" of StE.

Like, G:DAMM had a sort of comedic, campy feel to it, while StE was almost Heisei-like in tone: serious, but not dark.

Instant replays are the kind of thing you see on wrestling.
Honestly, my opinions have shifted quite a bit over time, but I still prefer Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee to the rest. Probably because it doesn't have gimmicky bullcrap in it like Save the Earth does, and it has slightly more features. It also feels more fun to play the game, as punches and kicks have an actual feel to them alongside more sound effects and visual effects. Save the Earth didn't really have these, and it got stale quick because the gameplay was just so slow, and it goes on and on...
And the beamspam in Save the Earth was atrocious. The AI will spam their beams to no end sometimes and it's an absolute pain
At least Save the Earth had better ultimate attacks, for the most part at least.

Armored Colossus
Yojimbo

Post by Armored Colossus »

I think this game had much better music than Save the Earth. It fits in with Godzilla more.

I also think Mechagodzilla is a better boss fight than Orga. It's so much more satisfying winning.
Armored Colossus was brought to you by viewers like you!

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Armored Colossus wrote:I think this game had much better music than Save the Earth. It fits in with Godzilla more.

I also think Mechagodzilla is a better boss fight than Orga. It's so much more satisfying winning.
Agreed. MechaGodzilla 2 always felt like an actual boss character. He hardly took damage (absolutely no damage if you're the poor sucker who picked Gigan) and he hit like a dump truck.
And Save the Earth's music is just bland. I hardly even remember a single track from that game, but I remember a lot from Destroy All Monsters Melee.

Armored Colossus
Yojimbo

Gojira tai Mosura wrote:
Armored Colossus wrote:I think this game had much better music than Save the Earth. It fits in with Godzilla more.

Agreed. MechaGodzilla 2 always felt like an actual boss character. He hardly took damage (absolutely no damage if you're the poor sucker who picked Gigan) and he hit like a dump truck.
And Save the Earth's music is just bland. I hardly even remember a single track from that game, but I remember a lot from Destroy All Monsters Melee.
MG2 kinda surpasses the original MechaG in this game.

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla Lover101 »

Honestly I don't care for the music in DAMM except for the 1 track that plays during the intro, and even that is kinda bland. The music in GU was pretty good, but it still didn't really "fit in." They should have just redone some of the classic Godzilla themes, even if it was only 2 or 3 guys in a studio with keyboards.
Last edited by Godzilla Lover101 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Superrex
G-Grasper

Post by Superrex »

I always thought that MG2 was either a little bit harder than other monsters or HOLY SHIT WHY CAN'T I GET A SINGLE HIT ON THIS GUY AND WHY WON'T THOSE FUCKING ATTACK SHIPS AND FREEZE SHIPS GO AWAY?! I nearly resorted to using cheats because I couldn't beat it with Rodan. But the cheats didn't work and I eventually beat him the intended way. And my god was it satisfying.

Speaking of using cheats, to anybody who plays this on the Wii instead of the GameCube, do the cheats work on your system? Because they don't on mine for some reason.
Probably the unluckiest guy in the Shadow Arena
Shadow Arena History:
Wins:7
Defeats:8
Chris55 wrote:
wisper15 wrote:I sucks donkey dick.
"He's really bad at it too!"

-The donkey

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

tenup wrote:The one thing this game has over the rest are the post battle replays. There are alot of benefits to the feature however it was the only game to include it. I remember many epic finishers and with the replay showing different angles of the final moments of the battle it made it more rewarding. I dont understand why they didnt keep this feature in the remainder of the series?
Superrex wrote:I believe the reason the replays were taken out was because the PS2 version of Save the Earth couldn't handle them, so they did away with them all together. If believe it's in an interview on the site.

There you go.
I think it was overly simplistic of me to say "The PS2 couldn't handle it." Like all things, it's a matter of costs.

GDAMM (and the other games) is VASTLY more complex than other fighting games, because of the thousands of destructible objects & AI vehicles which influence the fight. Instant replays were a feature my friend Solomon wanted, and he worked hard to get them working. Every time we added more to the game, it would break the replay system, and solomon would have to spend days getting it working again. We had more bugs with the replay system than anything else - simply because it was trying to simultaneously record EVERYTHING happening in the game all the time, to support that 2-second rewind moment.

When we started planning StE, everyone knew that dropping replays was something we were going to do. Continuing to support it would have slowed everything down - meaning fewer features getting finished in the game. We were also looking at porting to the PS2 and memory was a big issue we worried about there - ditching replays did half of their optimization work for them.

Essentially it's just a matter of tough choices - every feature you build into the game comes at the cost of all the other features you could have created with that time. We knew that the replay system just wasn't stable enough to exist without a LOT more work, and we decided that we'd rather put that work into the other game features. We all knew it was cool, but that's just part of the development process - even ditching replays, we couldn't get all the cool things into the game we had hoped for (like Biollante, or the upgrade system.)

Armored Colossus
Yojimbo

I hate how Megalon, takes harm from his Napalm attack. Its so annoying. Why was that put into the game? I think its in STE too.

Also, King Ghidora... seemed way too overpowerful when I played as him. The only challenge when I played as him was Mechagodzilla.

CheetoKamper
G-Force Personnel

Post by CheetoKamper »

Armored Colossus wrote:I hate how Megalon, takes harm from his Napalm attack. Its so annoying. Why was that put into the game? I think its in STE too.

Also, King Ghidora... seemed way too overpowerful when I played as him. The only challenge when I played as him was Mechagodzilla.
Because it's a giant open fire on the ground. It makes perfect sense really.
He musta thought it was a gun!
I liked Giant Condor and Gabara before it was cool to just sayin.
Shadow arena record (5-3)

Armored Colossus
Yojimbo

CheetoKamper wrote:
Armored Colossus wrote:I hate how Megalon, takes harm from his Napalm attack. Its so annoying. Why was that put into the game? I think its in STE too.

Sure... if you put it in more realistic terms, but game wise I don't see a reason why Megalon should be hurt by his own attack. Its inconveniencing.

CheetoKamper
G-Force Personnel

Post by CheetoKamper »

Armored Colossus wrote:
CheetoKamper wrote:

Sure... if you put it in more realistic terms, but game wise I don't see a reason why Megalon should be hurt by his own attack. Its inconveniencing.
It's not like it was game breaking. The fact that it stunned Megalon as well made it balanced, otherwise people could've basically just spammed it at close range all the time and not even let an opponent get an attack off. It'd been pretty cheap in that aspect.
He musta thought it was a gun!
I liked Giant Condor and Gabara before it was cool to just sayin.
Shadow arena record (5-3)

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

Armored Colossus wrote:
CheetoKamper wrote:

Its also inconvenient to be attacked by the other monsters. Why haven't they fixed that
Resized Image

Armored Colossus
Yojimbo

Beef Bigshot wrote:
Armored Colossus wrote:
CheetoKamper wrote:I hate how Megalon, takes harm from his Napalm attack. Its so annoying. Why was that put into the game? I think its in STE too.

Its also inconvenient to be attacked by the other monsters. Why haven't they fixed that
That's a necessity for the game. The game would be boring without it. I don't see how the two things are comparable. Megalon's attack is meant to hurt the enemy, why would it hurt him too? I'm just curious on why this was added to the game. It just doesn't make sense to me.

2009MECHAGODZILLA
Futurian

Post by 2009MECHAGODZILLA »

Armored Colossus wrote:Megalon's attack is meant to hurt the enemy, why would it hurt him too?
'Cause it's fuckin' funny.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21114

Commission prices: https://www.deviantart.com/snake151/jou ... -848926845
"Disappointing! Re-watch the 1954 original. THAT is the correct form!!!"

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Armored Colossus wrote:Megalon's attack is meant to hurt the enemy, why would it hurt him too?
Wasn't Megalon harmed by his own Napalm bombs in the film?