Display Your Collection

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Re: Display Your Collection

Post by DirektorSplennic »

This is more so a question rather than showing my display, and I'm not sure if this constitutes a new topic, but after coming home from being away at college for almost two months, I come back to see my shelf is incredibly dusty. It's repulsive how bad it got, and a lot of very detailed figures like my SHMA figures have a bunch of dust in the nooks and crannies that won't come out with a rag or duster. Same with some of my vinyls. Basically, I'm asking if something like canned air will harm the figures. I'm mostly concerned about stuff like SHMA and vinyls, though this applies to things like NECA too. I know it really is just canned air, but I know that it uses chemicals inside the can, and I'm wondering if any of those chemicals will cause deterioration to the paint on these figures. The last thing I want is to mess up something like my SHMA Shin Godzilla or original release Ghidorah.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I've never had any trouble except it just blows the dust off and back into the air where it resettles. My big improvement was when I found a small vacuum cleaner with a hose and a very soft long-bristled brush, so I could dust them while also sucking the dust away. You CAN loose small parts this way, that's why mine is a small Ryobi with the dust catcher as a clear plastic box, so I can pop it out and retrieve anything I lost.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

This topic comes up probably once a year. Synthetic feather dusters have served me well for many years.

LiamNeesons
Samurai

Post by LiamNeesons »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:16 am This is more so a question rather than showing my display, and I'm not sure if this constitutes a new topic, but after coming home from being away at college for almost two months, I come back to see my shelf is incredibly dusty. It's repulsive how bad it got, and a lot of very detailed figures like my SHMA figures have a bunch of dust in the nooks and crannies that won't come out with a rag or duster. Same with some of my vinyls. Basically, I'm asking if something like canned air will harm the figures. I'm mostly concerned about stuff like SHMA and vinyls, though this applies to things like NECA too. I know it really is just canned air, but I know that it uses chemicals inside the can, and I'm wondering if any of those chemicals will cause deterioration to the paint on these figures. The last thing I want is to mess up something like my SHMA Shin Godzilla or original release Ghidorah.
My girlfriend gave me one of her fine paint brushes and a make up brush to get those hard to reach areas on the figures. Also if the dust is really caked in there, you can use a wet cue tip to clean it out.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Man, Ya'll are so helpful, I went with the vacuum idea and ordered one since it would help me kill a few birds with one stone, instead of just using it for figures.
It's got a bunch of little attachments, including tiny brushes, plus I don't have to worry about the dust going everywhere like with a feather duster

Plus it looks like the Oxygen Destroyer :lol:
(not actually a reason I chose this one)

I'll let ya'll know how it works

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Similar question. My collection is getting pretty massive now, and I havent dusted it....like....at all, since I started collecting. Plus, I have two dogs. Pit bulls, so they dont shed a whole lot, but hair still does get onto things. How often would you recommend dusting? Its a big collection, like I said, so I worry dusting every week or so would take infinitely too long.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

I might do a full dusting (take everything down and thoroughly clean all the figures and the shelves themselves) once a year. Other than that I just do spot dusting if I see something that’s in need of attention. Also, for many years I had all my stuff behind glass which almost completely eliminates the need for dusting at all. I hope to get my stuff back into cases with glass doors some day.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

I guess glass is the sensible thing to do, yeah. For me though putting everything in glass cases feels too...idk. Posh? Clinical? Some word. I like to have everything out and busy. My design philosophy is that everywhere you look youd be overwhelmed with figures. Makes things hard to dust.

But yeah, when I get a chance I'll buy a duster and do a good deep clean.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

I highly recommend getting the vacuum I posted above. Worked wonders for cleaning the shelf, and the special mini brush nozzles were great for dusting individual figures. Plus since its a vacuum it just sucks up all the dust and you dont have to worry about it flying anywhere else.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Just did a dusting and slight reorganizing of the Marmit/M1/Marusan/Whatever else I like that's stylized shelf.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Looks really nice!
Im always tempted to update my whole collection photos but I have some cool stuff I wanna wait on and I MIGHT POSSIBLY be getting the 40th Anniversary Memorial Box next month so that'll probably be the best time to update.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

If I'm not lazy I might do some serious rearranging of my bedroom today. See if a can make a bit more room to display some more stuff.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

I got a new phone so I feel I need to post update pictures now. (The Star Wars and Other Things™ portion of my shelf is blended in):
For some reason the dust looks a lot worse than it actually is, since I dusted my entire shelf fairly recently.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Thats pretty rad looking. Love how the star wars shelf looks, even if im not super into star wars anymore.

I got my brothers HD camera after he passed so Ill see about taking new, HD pictures of my collection. Its not SUBSTANTIALLY bigger than it was before but itll be nice to have better pics.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Executive Hamster wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:37 am Thats pretty rad looking. Love how the star wars shelf looks, even if im not super into star wars anymore.

I got my brothers HD camera after he passed so Ill see about taking new, HD pictures of my collection. Its not SUBSTANTIALLY bigger than it was before but itll be nice to have better pics.
Thanks! I'm very into organization with my figures. Everything looks all neat and tidy. Girlfriend even likes it lmao.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Finally started some rearranging. Still a lot more work to go.

Image Image
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Welp, new year, might as well update my collection photos. Really, I was waiting for the memorial box so nows as good a time as any.

More pictures here: https://imgur.com/gallery/YSBm18Q

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

Nice collection, my friend! :D

I have a BANDAI-only collection and I own (almost) every Godzilla & Gamera vinyl made after 2000, but I still miss many of the pre-2000 figures. That 40th Memorial box... :g2k:
Last edited by Petezilla on Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Size DOES matter!

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I love that giant Gamera on top, what is it?

I will, I know, never have a 'dedicated' shelf for one particular line. I am always either late to find something or what I do like doesn't go anywhere (like the light/sound/music line, the '89 release, the ONLY one, is my favorite Godzilla toy ever and I thought Shin and Ultima would have benefited from the treatment immensely) so I have the weird assortment of monsters from many lines in the little city that's been shown here before. I do plan some improvements, the oddball SCV Ghidorah 2019 will fit with my randomness perfectly as it doesn't match anything, and I look forwards to the Smog Monster three-pack!