Talkback Thread #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: Talkback Thread #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)

Post by mikelcho »

H-Man wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:58 am
Terasawa wrote:Yeah, that's definitely something I prefer about the Heisei Godzillas compared to those that came later. The final battle in every Millennium Series movie took place in some ward of Tokyo, except GMK, where the final battle is only a little further away in Yokohama. The geography nerd in me has always appreciated when these movies show monsters in more than just the same few large cities, and I think the Millennium Series kinda failed in that regard.

GvKG and GvSG are notable, geographically speaking, for having monsters attack cities in Hokkaido, Honshu, and Kyushu. I'm pretty sure those are the only two Godzilla films to do that. It also took 21 movies to get Godzilla to Kyushu. I don't think he's been back in any movie since, either.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing as I typed my previous post. "What about the Milen--oh, Tokyo almost every time."
He was in Osaka in Godzilla vs, Biollante and first in Yokohama in Godzilla vs. Mothra.

Now here's the interesting part. In the 1956 Godzilla, King of the Monsters!, Steve Martin said to Emiko, "Last night Tokyo was destroyed. Tomorrow it could be Osaka or Yokohama." I remember thinking, "No, they're going to be destroyed decades later."

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

It's been a minute since I've seen it, but I remember really liking this movie on my last viewing. It has serious problems and is a long way from being fine art, but it's a decent amount of fun as the Heisei series goes.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

SuperDuper-X
Ronin

Post by SuperDuper-X »

There isn't much more I can say that hasn't already been said in this thread. But I greatly enjoy G vs MechaG II. The battle scenes are quite extensive, the score is superb, and I thought the human side of the story was compelling (I find many of the human stories in the Heisei era well done). I may be in the minority because I do enjoy Baby G, and he really pulls on the heartstrings.
Last edited by SuperDuper-X on Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

This one always surprises me with how much I love it, after watching it again recently with my girlfriend it's hard for me to decide if I still prefer Godzilla vs King Ghidorah and Godzilla vs Destroyah over it or not. My only gripes with the film are Rodan and Mechagodzilla's designs, and some of the bad foreign actors. Godzilla is badass in the movie and the plentiful monster action makes it entertaining to watch. Ifukube's score is fantastic as always, his new Mechagodzilla theme is one of my favorite Heisei era themes he did. I've heard people say the human story is weak in this one but I rather enjoy the human cast of characters even if they aren't among the series absolute finest. If I had to pick just one film to represent the Heisei Era it would probably be this movie.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609

Agent Smith
Monsterland Worker

Post by Agent Smith »

This is a good one. I am not a big fan of the Heisei series but this provides plenty of entertainment to go around. We also got to see the red spiral ray which is nice. I was ecstatic to see Rodan the first time I saw this. His design in this movie is my favorite so far.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but do you think that particular melody associated with Baby might have a connection with the Cosmos?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I wouldn't think that the Cosmos had that kind of connection to Godzilla or any one of the species. They have a relationship with Mothra because Mothra is their protector, but I see the Godzilla species being more of a threat than a protector.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

I wonder if the quality of this movie would be different if White Rodan made it into the finished film. Given how she didn't have a Uranium Heat Beam, maybe we could've gotten a longer, more entertaining Showa-style physical bout between her and MechaGodzilla rather than the usual beam spamming we ended up with.

"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I think the issue is (From a behind the scenes explanation) the Mechagodzilla suit they used was too stiff so any physical contact risked damaging it. I think its head came off during a brief scuffle with Godzilla during filming.

Not that it makes the character (Still terrible) or story better, but it offers least a reason.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

AK Siwach wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:33 pm Except we did get a nice T&C battle with Rodan at the beginning.
Godzilla vs Rodan was a good battle. Seeing Rodan handle Godzilla without a beam showed a tough fighter, and I like to think it was done to show off Mechagodzilla's power. In previous Heisei films, we've seen weapons and mech have little effect on kaiju. In this film, Mechagodzilla does a decent job against Godzilla in the first fight, and then easily defeats a powered up Rodan. It demonstrates mankind finally being able to fight and be successful against kaiju.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Neato metal cover to Akira Ifukube's main title of GODZILLA Vs. MECHAGODZILLA II by a bloke who goes by the handle Poliostasis.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I for one believe that there’s at least some connection between that music-emitting fern and the Cosmos and how it relates to Baby. I know some of you are turned off by the idea, but the evidence leans towards being that there is.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

gfan84
Samurai

Post by gfan84 »

I always cry at the end of this film where Azusa says goodbye to baby Godzilla. Ryoko Sanos excellent performance during this scene is genuine as after when baby tugs at her shirt if you look closely you can see tear streams down her face. The whole scene is heartbreaking.

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

GvMG is excellent. We get a melee fight with Rodan ,Rodan vs MG, and GvMG all in one movie! Not to mention Baby Godzilla. This entry really helped develop Heisei Godzilla as a Godzilla that is more than an angry monster and that he has a compassionate and caring side as well. We also aren't really pushed in a direction of who is the real villain here. Is it Godzilla, or after seeing how the humans treat Baby Godzilla, the humans? The fights are solid and varied. Lots of beams and missiles, but melee as well. With both Godzilla against Rodan and Godzilla's second fight with Mechagodzilla. Mechagodzilla's arsenal is great and this is an iconic incarnation of the character. Finally the final battle with giving Godzilla his famous red beam and Rodan's sacrifice is very memorable and one of the best endings in Godzilla history. Talk about a big finale.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

I really like the pacing in this film - the human drama and monster action are balanced really well. Neither element overstays its welcome.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

The Berserk concept would’ve been sooooo much better and cooler than what we got. Ugh, can’t believe that was passed up
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I feel we either needed a full Union Mechagodzilla (Just go full voltron) or Berserk to help make Heisei MG stand out. Cause as it stands it is a rather bland mecha and overall opponent.
Last edited by godjacob on Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Form blazing G crusher!

Fredyla010
Young Farmer

Re: Talkback Thread #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1993)

Post by Fredyla010 »

Arrow wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:14 pm One more thing:

The back-and-forth portrayal of Godzilla in this film's always amused me. One minute he's supposed to be a menace, the next minute he's supposed to be sympathetic. Who the hell am I supposed to comparateur assurance chat root for? If Mechagodzilla is a good guy, then shouldn't I be glad when he takes out Godzilla? If so, why am I supposed to be happy when Godzilla destroys it and goes back to the sea - free to haunt Japan another day? And why does Miki protest having to aid G-Force in killing Godzilla when she - and everyone else - knows it's the right thing to do? It's ridiculously confusing.
The Biollante theory for SpaceGodzilla's origin is correct.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Re: Talkback Thread #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1993)

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Fredyla010 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:15 am
Arrow wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:14 pm One more thing:

The back-and-forth portrayal of Godzilla in this film's always amused me. One minute he's supposed to be a menace, the next minute he's supposed to be sympathetic. Who the hell am I supposed to comparateur assurance chat root for? If Mechagodzilla is a good guy, then shouldn't I be glad when he takes out Godzilla? If so, why am I supposed to be happy when Godzilla destroys it and goes back to the sea - free to haunt Japan another day? And why does Miki protest having to aid G-Force in killing Godzilla when she - and everyone else - knows it's the right thing to do? It's ridiculously confusing.
The Biollante theory for SpaceGodzilla's origin is correct.
Welcome to the forums!
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft