Talkback: Space Amoeba/Yog, Monster from Space (1970)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Talkback: Space Amoeba/Yog, Monster from Space (1970)

Post by MustafaDaisenso »

I didn't see a thread about this movie, and I thought it would make a nice topic.

Well, definitely one of Toho's more obscure kaiju films, but certainly not one of their best. Suffers from poor writing, rather uninspired effects, and a plot thats too thin to make any of the action feel exciting.

On the other hand, it does have some cool monster designs, some interesting man vs. monster battles, and good cinematography.

Definitely not a favorite, but I'm glad I got to see it anyways.

Discuss :)

BTW: I would say the trailer is more exciting than the movie itself, and has a really fun rock song playing in the second half. If anybody knows what the song is called, let me know.
"I'm a freelance reporter, but... you could call me a scandal hunter hahahaha…"
Check out my YouTube channel for restored Toku trailers in HD
Rodan 1.85:1 US Reconstruction Thread

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Re: Talkback: Space Amoeba/Yog, Monster from Space (1970)

Post by Rodan »

Fun film, but easily one of the worst to feature Honda and Ifukube's work. And, therein, one of the most unintentionally hilarious.

Pop on the dub track, grab some friends, and irony watch this one all the way through, because damn is it worth it.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I actually really liked this one. The ending was particularly well done.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I love the production design and the photography, and there are some good concepts at play, but the script is quite dull and Honda seems to have been sleepwalking through the direction.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Has anyone here seen the AIP dub? How does it stack up against the official english version?

The only time I've seen the movie was the international version and all I can say was that it made the film unintentionally hilarious, especial the heroines prim British accent.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

While entertaining, it's a film with flaws. The pacing suffers, and portions of the dialogue don't sound natural. The acting is a mixed bag, too, but the monsters are a high point. It's also interesting to see the clever ways the humans face and defeat the monsters despite having limited resources. It's decent for a kaiju flick.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Looking back on it, the movie has an issue with finding the right tone. It tries to be dark and eerie, but the lush island setting is too bright and colorful for this to work (most of Honda's color films have a very subdued color scheme). Also, the tacked on moral of "what it means to be human" feels preachy and out of place.

Honda must have been very tired of making Kaiju films by this point; I feel like Jun Fukuda would have handled it better, since the movie would have benefitted from a less serious, faster paced approach.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:I think that's part of it's appeal. It's a pretty bad suit. But it has boat loads of charm for me.
Ganimes and Kameobas (particularly the latter) more than make up for Gezora's shortcomings anyway.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Ganime and Kamoeba did have the better suits.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Just got around to watching this for (IIRC) only the second time. While it brings little or nothing new to this sub-genre of sci-fi, it's still enjoyable. The only main effects work I would've wanted to see improved was the Gezora suit, and otherwise it's a nice entry. I could see any of the three monsters make cameo-type appearances in future movies (including Kameobas' in Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla), as they have versatility yet aren't tier-one monsters like Godzilla or King Ghidorah that demand a crucial role to the plot.

On a side note, I have a somewhat somber feeling that surrounds this movie. It has nothing to do with the film itself, as it's totally popcorn fun from 1970; it has more to do with what it represented. This was one of the last (or the last?) original Japanese daikaiju films of the Showa era. At the very least, it was the last of its kind from Toho's Showa era (as far as original daikaiju).
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Bubbazilla
Yojimbo

Post by Bubbazilla »

One of the better 'monster in a rural area without military help' genre films. An 8 out of 10.

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

MustafaDaisenso wrote:Has anyone here seen the AIP dub? How does it stack up against the official english version?
The only time I've seen the movie was the international version and all I can say was that it made the film unintentionally hilarious, especial the heroines prim British accent.
The English version released by AIP is IMO far better than the version available now...

djkgoji
GPN Volunteer

Post by djkgoji »

MustafaDaisenso wrote:Has anyone here seen the AIP dub? How does it stack up against the official english version?
Wow, do I feel old.

I've seen the AIP dub many, many times. As is almost always the case, it's superior to the international English version in just about every way.

As for the movie itself, I think it's a bit underrated. In fact, it's always been one of my favorite non-Godzilla Toho films. It doesn't have the energy or the spectacle of other kaiju films of the period, but the monsters themselves are unforgettable, and the basic plot is very solid. Akira Kubo is excellent as the two-fisted hero, while Kenji Sahara is wonderfully slimy as the human villain. And while some say he's wasted in the role, I quite like seeing Yoshio Tsuchiya cast against type (for him) as the level-headed scientist.

My biggest complaint about it is that it probably should have been a Godzilla film. While the plot is admittedly quite similar to SOG and (to a lesser extent) GR, it would have been cool to see Godzilla attracted to the island by the Helio 7 crash landing and do battle with Gezora, Ganima, and Kamoeba while the human characters fight for their lives against the villainous Obata. Not only would this have given us the chance to see Honda & Ifukube do an "island" Godzilla picture, but Toho could have used the Godzilla vs. Kamoeba fight to take a swipe at Daiei and Gamera. A missed opportunity, IMO. Whenever I'm daydreaming about what Godzilla movies I would make if I could go back in time and run the series my way, Gojira tai Gezora: Kessen! Nankai no Daikaijū is always one of the first ideas that comes to mind.
"Is he strong?" No, not really. He's got radioactive blood, after all.

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

djkgoji wrote: As for the movie itself, I think it's a bit underrated. In fact, it's always been one of my favorite non-Godzilla Toho films. It doesn't have the energy or the spectacle of other kaiju films of the period, but the monsters themselves are unforgettable, and the basic plot is very solid. Akira Kubo is excellent as the two-fisted hero, while Kenji Sahara is wonderfully slimy as the human villain. And while some say he's wasted in the role, I quite like seeing Yoshio Tsuchiya cast against type (for him) as the level-headed scientist.
Definitely agree with that. What I particularly like about Space Amoeba is the different approach in depicting aliens. Other Showa Toho aliens are all humanoid (or at least disguised as humans), so this shapeless glowing blob taking control of other lifeforms was a breath of fresh air for me. Other good thing is that the fight against the invasion is held on a smaller, island stage, yet the feeling of a worldwide alien threat is still maintained.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

I'm gonna re-watch this one later this week, I haven't seen it in a while. I've always thought that the Yog in AIP's title referred to the amoeba, but i've never seen that version, so I can't say for sure.
Last edited by GodzillaFanatic2001 on Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I mean, both dubs are fine. The Rome dub commissioned by AIP is hardy a masterpiece either.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Goji wrote:I mean, both dubs are fine. The Rome dub commissioned by AIP is hardy a masterpiece either.
All dubs with nostalgia value are to be praised at all times! Is that clear?!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

Say, does anyone know what company dubbed this one for AIP? I've heard Titra studios, I've heard ELDA in Rome, so I'm curious, who dubbed it for the US release?
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Heh, it's been a while since this poor thread saw the light of day. Anyway, I just got done with my long-anticipated first viewing of Space Amoeba, dubbed, courtesy of Amazon Prime. I guess I understand why this movie doesn't get a whole lot of discussion around here: there's really just not that much to say. It was plenty enjoyable as a dumb-fun monster adventure, but just... unremarkable. The human cast were all just sort of there, the story stumbled loosely along, doing whatever was convenient at any given time, like having weapons and gas show up every time they were needed, or the bats inexplicably circling over the kaiju whenever it would bail the humans out.

The monsters were a highlight, obviously, managing to be simultaneously generic and original. Some of their early scenes were impressive, particularly the slow, chilling underwater sequence with Gezora. Kameobas vs. Ganimes was a decent enough fight, a bit interestingly unconventional in that neither of them was humanoid/bipedal, but felt tacked on to add some spectacle to the climax.

The Yog themselves were cool, too. I agree that they made a great change of pace from the usual human-like aliens. And as an aside to those of you who played Godzilla: Kaiju Uprising, it's really weird; I actually had no idea that Yog took control of a human and could talk to/through him in the movie. I thought I was doing something original with my version of the character, but apparently not. :lol:

Anyway, it'll probably never be a favorite of mine, but it was a fun way to kill an hour and a half, and I'm glad I finally saw it.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:Say, does anyone know what company dubbed this one for AIP? I've heard Titra studios, I've heard ELDA in Rome, so I'm curious, who dubbed it for the US release?
It was dubbed by Titan, although it doesn’t sound like their typical work. The end credits are also spliced out on the one common VHS release, so unless you’ve seen a 16mm or 35mm print you wouldn’t have seen the dubbing credit. (Or any of the others for that matter.)
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.