Your first Godzilla related toy?

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Creature22
EDF Instructor

Re: Your first Godzilla related toy?

Post by Creature22 »

KingKaiju wrote:Also, did anyone else also get that 4-foot inflatable Godzilla, as a kid?
I didn't have that, but I apparently had a Godzilla punching bag as a kid. According to my dad, we destroyed it pretty quickly.

I had an awesome Godzilla tent as well, for the 1998 film. That thing was a lot of fun.

Obscurity68
Ronin

Post by Obscurity68 »

On my sixth birthday my grandmother gave me a shoebox, which I thought was a little weird because she's never the person to give clothes or shoes for a childs birthday. To my surprise, inside the box was the Bandai Japanese Godzilla 1968 figure, along with DVDs of Godzilla's Revenge and Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster. Needless to say, it was my favorite toy. I absulotely adored it, and it's easy to tell because now its got quite a lot of paint scratches. I'll never forget that day.

smotemotem
Young Farmer

Post by smotemotem »

When I was a kid, I had a Rodan toy that was rubbery and had those metal wires on the inside. I also had a plastic Mecha King Ghidorah that had a noise box in its chest. I think both were Bandai, but I've forgotten. My brother had an Imperial Godzilla that I wasn't supposed to play with, but you know how that goes (he actually still had it, and gifted it to me a few years back).

When I fired my collection back up, and refocused, the Bandai 92 Anguirus was my first purchase. It's a reproduction of the original Anguirus toy.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

big imperial godzilla I found at a flea market when I was 5, I think
your source of self destruction

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

I don't know if I took it or it was given to me, but I went to a friends house and he had one of the Trendmasters '98 Godzilla toys. About 7" tall, and if you pulled back one of the spines his mouth would open. He once had a missile to shoot out of his mouth, but I never got it. Anyway, I took him home, and later that same friend gave me my first Godzilla movie for my birthday: Mothra vs. Godzilla.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

Sagezilla08
Young Farmer

Post by Sagezilla08 »

Mine was a Bandai Movie Monster series Gigan vinyl. It was far from my first kaiju figure, I grew up with lots of power rangers. It was given to me by a good friend and I had loved it. I dont have it anymore but it was fun at the time. It was definitely a great introduction to Godzilla figures.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

The one I vividly remember getting first was the Terror of Mechagodzilla set from Bandai Japan with all three monsters. I played with that Godzilla so much and broke him, but I repaired him a few years ago and holds a special place in my heart.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I believe it was the Imperial 11" Godzilla, but I also know I had a handmedown Shogun Godzilla (was my dad's originally) that was eventually lost in a house fire when I was real young. So it had to be either of those. The Trendmasters are sit around my first memories with the franchise as well, but I don't have any memories of playing with any TM toys with the Shogun, which makes me think I didn't start getting them until after the house fire.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Imperial 6 inch and 11 inch Godzillas for sure. My second memory is that set from Trendmasters that had a bunch of those 4 inch Godzilla figures!

Memories...!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Ah, first Godzilla toy ever was the 14 inch Imperial Godzilla around 1991 or ‘92. I remember seeing a shelf full of them in KB Toys at a mall and begging my mom for it. Didn’t get it that day (to my knowledge, heh) but the Easter bunny put one in my Easter basket soon thereafter…

First Japanese toys a few years later were Bandai Godzilla Island Godzilla and Destroyer vinyls. I think I bought them from Clawmark Toys but it might’ve been Jim Cironello’s (sp?) website. It was still the very early days of home internet and convincing my parents to send a money order to some random strangers I found online was a challenge for sure!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

The 6-inch Imperial Figures.

NickMockoviak
GPN Volunteer

Post by NickMockoviak »

I believe my first Godzilla "toy" was the Knickerbocker Godzilla plush toy based on the Hanna-Barbara cartoon. It was my mom's that I more-or-less took for myself. I still have that one, plus I bought a damn-near mint one that is stored away. For figures, it's the Imperial Godzilla figure and the Trendmasters Godzilla roaring toy I won from the TNT Monstervision contest.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

It was the 10" Imperial. Probably got it sometime in mid 1986. My first Japanese toys were the 1983 Yamakatsu versions of Baragon, Angilas, Mothra and Mechagodzilla.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

My first (and for over a decade only) one was the 6" Imperial Godzilla, too. I bought it new with a hang tag in a toy store in my small hometown in Germany when I was like 10 to 12 years old. The paper tag even had German writing on it. I believe this was the only officially licensed Godzilla figure available in the 90s in Germany. At least I never saw anything else besides those chinese Godzilla and Gigan knockoffs. Both the Imperial Godzilla and the tag are long gone, though...

Damn... now I'm getting nostalgic and I want one with tag back... :shock:
Size DOES matter!

Gojira 41mk11
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojira 41mk11 »

The first I remember was a set of gashapons including Burning Godzilla, Godzilla Junior, Godzilla ‘98, Mechagodzilla ‘74, Gigan ‘72, and Anguirus ‘72. All of them are gone now except for Junior, but his arms have been long missing.
:Gigan: Gigan <3 :Gigan:
But Gigan is a villain that prove you support only villain not hero
Wrong. The current MonsterVerse films are “kaka”. At least these classic Showa kaiju films ain’t WOKE!

MoK 13
GPN Volunteer

Post by MoK 13 »

My first Gogi was the bendy one in the mid 70’s. He & Mazinga had awesome battles with Star Wars figs.

My first Bandai was Godzilla Collection starburst tag 84’, still have’em.
Godzilla Vs Megalon was my first in 1976, Damn I'm old.

We might get vaporized along with this base before long. Let’s just relax and have some coffee

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

shadowgigan wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:27 pm The big Trendmasters with the blue dorsal plates. Still have it.
Cartoony as heck, but I loved that figure (had the green one with silver plates myself). I wished the rest of the Trendmasters sculpts had looked as good as this one did!

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Bandai Creation Godzilla 2000. Got it at a Big Lots. I actually remember the day I got it very clearly: we went out to CiCi's Pizza for a family dinner, it was raining lightly and we stopped to get some kind of electronic from a Best Buy, and while they did that us kids went into the Big Lots next door where I saw it on the shelf with a few other Bandai Creation figures. Based on the figures I remember seeing on the shelves at the time, my guess is that this would've been around 2007-8. I remember the grey boxes very clearly.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

G1985 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:02 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:27 pm The big Trendmasters with the blue dorsal plates. Still have it.
Cartoony as heck, but I loved that figure (had the green one with silver plates myself). I wished the rest of the Trendmasters sculpts had looked as good as this one did!
It’s a great figure. Captures a menacing, generalized Heisei look quite well.