Your first Godzilla related toy?

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Your first Godzilla related toy?

Post by MustafaDaisenso »

I recall as a very small child in the late '90's receiving a huge Trendmasters walking King Ghidorah for christmas. Man was I amazed by this monstrosity. Unfortunately, he's taken a lot of abuse: one of his wings is broken, his tail is super loose, and his walking mechanism is broken :cry:

In any case, it was likely my first exposure to any Godzilla related material, and it probably predates my watching GINO in theater or seeing Godzilla King of the Monsters on vhs.

Share your own tales of how your toy collecting began, even if you're not a figurine afficionado
"I'm a freelance reporter, but... you could call me a scandal hunter hahahaha…"
Check out my YouTube channel for restored Toku trailers in HD
Rodan 1.85:1 US Reconstruction Thread

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Re: Your first Godzilla related toy?

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

A pair of GINO bootlegs I received as a lil' kiddo.

First collector's item was Bandai Kelbea and Eleking. Saw them at a collector's stall near a cinema at pretty good prices. I had initially intended to start collecting model kits, but since figurines were alot cheaper I decided to kick off with those. Today, I couldn't care less about model kits and I'm a vinyl figure nut.

First Godzilla-related collector's item was the Revoltech Gigan. Got it at the same collector's stall. I still do most of my collecting at collector shops and not online. No shipping (which can be pretty costly when you live in Singapore), and frankly its just more exciting.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

EikoHarvey
Monarch Researcher

Post by EikoHarvey »

Some trendmasters stuff. I remember a Mechagodzilla specifically, I think also a Mecha King Ghidorah.. Everything else is a bit hazy.
TK's self-proclaimed Green Lantern
Godzilla VS the Sea Monster is my favorite movie. I'm that guy.

4Tankzilla
Monsterland Worker

Post by 4Tankzilla »

I have a pretty weird story, so here we go! lol:

After watching a Spanish dubbed w/ English subs Godzilla 2000 movie, my older brother was amazed how I wanted to see more Godzilla films. He ran into his room, digging through his box of toys, until he pulled out the Trendmasters Power-Up Godzilla, Mechagodzilla, the 4in Sound Godzilla & Gigan, and a Garuda. To this day, I still own most of them, except the Power-Up Godzilla. Sadly, I lost it in the mall when I was four years old, but I bought a new one when I got older just to fill in what was lost. Though, I still own the trading card that came with the lost Power-Up Godzilla!

So yeah, that's my story of how I got into Godzilla, I was more into trains before being exposed to the Big G!

EikoHarvey
Monarch Researcher

Post by EikoHarvey »

4Tankzilla wrote:I have a pretty weird story, so here we go! lol:

After watching a Spanish dubbed w/ English subs Godzilla 2000 movie, my older brother was amazed how I wanted to see more Godzilla films. He ran into his room, digging through his box of toys, until he pulled out the Trendmasters Power-Up Godzilla, Mechagodzilla, the 4in Sound Godzilla & Gigan, and a Garuda. To this day, I still own most of them, except the Power-Up Godzilla. Sadly, I lost it in the mall when I was four years old, but I bought a new one when I got older just to fill in what was lost. Though, I still own the trading card that came with the lost Power-Up Godzilla!

So yeah, that's my story of how I got into Godzilla, I was more into trains before being exposed to the Big G!
I still have so many trendmasters trading cards... God they're awful.

4Tankzilla
Monsterland Worker

Post by 4Tankzilla »

Mine has a very noticeable crease, but it remains inside a plastic sleeve!

EikoHarvey
Monarch Researcher

Post by EikoHarvey »

Which is it?

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

For me it was a power-up Godzilla, a power-up King Ghidorah, and a flexing Mechagodzilla. I sadly lost all three because of play, or because of my dog. And this was before I even knew about the 98 movie. Just recently been treated to a couple of Godzilla films after of my folks getting tired of Jurassic Park. :lol:
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

Eunectes
Gotengo Officer

Post by Eunectes »

Zilla, as a kid.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I THINK I remember having a Trendmasters Battra way before I knew what it was, but I may be mistaken.

Anyways, the first Godzilla-related toy I owned knowing what is was is this Dollar Tree figure:
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

My first was one of those cheap Mexican Godzilla knock-offs. I don't have it anymore; I actually gave it away, but I still kinda miss it...

My first official toy was a Bandai Creation Burning Godzilla.

restless spirit
Yojimbo

Post by restless spirit »

My was a shogun G. everything worked on it. I always took it to the beach, I put that poor toy through hell.
I have no idea what ever happened to it. we moved around a lot as a kid, probably got left behind somewhere.
-chris
Encased in lead and steel, The end and infinity
The eight moon the sixth day the year death
The heatwave to grasp and consume your last breath

retrogametruck
Samurai

Post by retrogametruck »

it was actually the TM rc Godzilla. it was way before I actually got into Godzilla collecting. I just thought is was awesome and had to have it.

Planetxman
Interpol Agent

Post by Planetxman »

I had a toy like this in the 70's. I had for many years.
When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth.

Plexton
EDF Instructor

Post by Plexton »

My first Godzilla toy was the Imperial Godzilla; I still have the large-scale version from when I was a child. If you can look past the paint application, it's actually not all that bad a sculpt (kind of a 'chimeric' Godzilla).

Godzillasaurus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzillasaurus »

My first figure was the Bandai Creation Godzilla 2000. I actually got it a few summers ago.

Lord Orga
Young Farmer

Post by Lord Orga »

My first official Godzilla toy was the Bandai Creations Godzilla 1954. Got it for $1 at a local thrift store.
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2616/4141 ... ae79_z.jpg
“I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams.”
-The Eleventh Doctor

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

^ Hard to say. I know I had a lot of dinosaur toys & models BEFORE I got into Godzilla - I'm not sure WHEN I finally crossed the line. It may have been those Ghidorah & Rodan models, back in the '70's. I got both, & remember wishing that there was a Godzilla to go with them.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Imperial Small Godzilla

Got at an amusment park @1985. I still have it , though it is a bath-toy for my son now ;) .
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Ghidorahs3rdHead
Samurai

Post by Ghidorahs3rdHead »

Trendmasters toys back in like 95? Can't remember which ones but I still have most of the 3-4 inch ones, power up Godzilla, Mechagodzilla and Gigan hanging out in my room. First Bandai vinyls didn't come until 1998. Always wished Trendmasters made a Hedorah back in the day.