Super Godzilla Returns [Fan Game / Remake / Sequel]

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Re: Super Godzilla Returns [10-12-15] (Episode 1 Patch N!)

Post by GigaBowserG »

Been wondering about the next episode, great to hear things are still on :) Sorry to hear about the problems with your last project, hopefully that one came out for the better? Recalled you had a schedule for other games you were working on as it was, so any lack of news here I'd attributed to whatever else you had been busy with.
...Also, what it always 7 episodes? :lol:
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Burninggodzillalord
Interpol Agent

Re: Super Godzilla Returns [10-12-15] (Episode 1 Patch N!)

Post by Burninggodzillalord »

GigaBowserG wrote:Been wondering about the next episode, great to hear things are still on :) Sorry to hear about the problems with your last project, hopefully that one came out for the better? Recalled you had a schedule for other games you were working on as it was, so any lack of news here I'd attributed to whatever else you had been busy with.

GigaBowserG wrote:...Also, what it always 7 episodes? :lol:
I do believe at first I had written 8, but "Vengeance" and "Forbidden" were too small to really justify as their own episodes so I merged them together (Becoming Episode 6).

To reiterate, Only Episodes 1-3 are technically the full game and include the most content. Episodes 4 and on are bonus episodes, such as the NES Creepypasta episode, tie-ins with my other projects, or just other stuff I wanted to add but didn't fit in the story at all.

Added in 16 hours 50 minutes 44 seconds:
Re: Super Godzilla Returns [08-11-16] (Progress Resuming Soon!)
Hey guys! I'm posting now to inform you all Super Godzilla Returns progress will return within the next few days (or next week/SOON). Too many complications arose with my other project which is why progress to this was halted. I decided to return to this and complete it with all it's episodes before I went back to my other project.

SUPER GODZILLA RETURNS

RETURNS

More details later.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Very nice! Thought about when episode 2 may launch. Still need to S-rank stages in the first game...
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Burninggodzillalord
Interpol Agent

I have begun to continue work on this game. I will be giving it a face-lift, and some other optimizations before continuing to Episode 2. I have a new plan for the game, so some older posts may be obsolete. Details of these will be revealed later on.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Re: Super Godzilla Returns [1-11-17]

Post by SpaceG92 »

Holy mother bump batman!

Glad to you see you resume production and development on SGR. No doubt, it'll continue to grow and evolve as you get more and more experienced. (Referring to Breakout).

Burninggodzillalord
Interpol Agent

I have made progress on the new battle system. It will be much more like the original game (somewhat), and Fighting Spirit is more forgiving. The new system makes battles less item reliant, making the battles easier to a certain degree. There will also be battle animations for the monsters, given that I have a new script for this. Because of this, the old "small Godzilla in the upper left corner" bug is gone. I will be posting a video showing this battle system soon. This upcoming version I'm naming Episode 1.5.

List of upcoming features I will or want to include:

Confirmed:
  • The lag on the overworld has been fixed.
  • New battle system! Includes monster animation!
  • Optimizing locations, such as removing alot of buildings from Tokyo to lessen the lag on the stage.
  • Results will be fixed/changed (There's a counting error on UFOs destroyed)
  • Item carry limit will be dropped more as the new battle system doesn't require too much need for items.
  • When you cannot carry any more items, you will instead be given Credits instead of just nothing (Not enough to buy the item you missed out on though, just a small bit)
  • removing most, if not all, basic RPG maker assets (specifically in terms of overworld sprites)
  • Changing some dialogue, and improving cutscenes (As in visually or bad dialogue altogether)
  • The Bank will be removed entirely, this allowed players to exceed the carry limit.
Hopefully:
  • Lowering the amount of Credits lost when you get a game over.
  • Allow fleeing from bosses, and them keeping their HP upon re-entry to battle. This gave me problems originally, and it was removed from the previous version. I feel confident I can fix it this time.
  • Compatibility with older save files should work. It's too early to tell, but I will try my best to make sure that stays.
  • May include an equip system that allows buffs or resistances against certain attacks. The would be known as Chip Upgrades (Godzilla is controlled by a chip, or box, or whatever, right?)
When it comes to entirely new content, such as new stages, enemies, items, etc., they will be added in Episode 2, so you'll have to wait a bit more for that.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Wow, I've been missing a lot of notifications in this section... Sounds really cool! So, is Episode 1.5 like a remake of the first episode, playing only as Godzilla but with the enhanced mechanics & features? Wouldn't mind at all replaying it if that's the case, a majority of these additions make it sound like I'd be playing an almost entirely new game.
/crawls back under rock

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Glad to hear work is still being done on this! It's gonna turn out great :D

Burninggodzillalord
Interpol Agent

Here's a screenshot of new overworld tiles I made to replace the default RPG Maker assets. This is a scene from the Overworld Map (I also fixed the mountains!) I also decided to retract my previous statement about Episode 1.5, and just do the Episode 1 updates and Episode 2 at the same time.

Added in 1 hour 28 minutes 44 seconds:
Hey guys, BGL back once again to tell you that I had a setback on the project (again) as my hard drive failed (again). Basically I've been set back all the work I've done in 2017 so far, and I have finally gotten over the loss, and now feel ample to continue working on the game again. I will be making backups every time I do anything from now on, you can be assured this will not happen again. Regardless, details on what I want to do with the game will be mentioned later, as I need to focus on getting back up to speed.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

I feel you, lost a hard drive years ago while working on stuff and it was awful. Really, best of luck!! :)
/crawls back under rock

Burninggodzillalord
Interpol Agent

Re: Super Godzilla Returns [7-6-17]

While I'm still trying to get back to where I was before the drive failure again, I have made some decisions and they will be said below:

The next available version will be the 5th Public Patch to Episode 1. This version will contain all the new elements such as a new battle system, new scoring system, new graphics, attempts at lag fixes, and some other fixes/changes.

However, due to the old version being a complete mess in the coding portion, I have decided to rework it. This, unfortunately, will cause all save file data to be broken and unusable (This will be the last time I promise). This change will, however, make the game generally easier to work with. To make up for this I will add a password that will allow you to unlock all 6 of Episode 1's levels so you can begin Episode 2 when it starts, if you don't feel like replaying the levels that is.

Future versions will also include the RPG Maker VX Ace RTP, meaning you will not need to download it separately or install it if you don't have it.
Last edited by Burninggodzillalord on Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Re: Super Godzilla Returns [8-13-17]

Post by GigaBowserG »

A-OK with old save data not being usable, replaying the game with additional fixes & content sounds like fun. Gives a good excuse to do so, too, as well as act as a refresher :)
/crawls back under rock

SpaceG92
Keizer

Re: Super Godzilla Returns [7-6-17]

Post by SpaceG92 »

Burninggodzillalord wrote:However, due to the old version being a complete mess in the coding portion, I have decided to rework it. This, unfortunately, will cause all save file data to be broken and unusable (This will be the last time I promise). This change will, however, make the game generally easier to work with. To make up for this I will add a password that will allow you to unlock all 6 of Episode 1's levels so you can begin Episode 2 when it starts, if you don't feel like replaying the levels that is.
+1 on nuking save data. You don't want anything to break like I managed to due in Monster World with mixing save data. It's for the better.

Burninggodzillalord
Interpol Agent

Re: Super Godzilla Returns [8-13-17]

Another quick update: The game is coming along. The next update should be ready sometime soon. I won't give any estimated date or anything, as that will put the pressure on and I'd rather not have that. My personal goal is simply before the years end.

Added in 5 hours 19 minutes 1 second:
BGL here with an informative update (finally)!

I've been working on the game on and off, and unfortunately haven't been able to show stuff off until about recently, with the hard drive failure and some other personal issues.

Anyways, I thought I'd outline some details on changes from the previous version (other than just simple visuals). Click the spoiler below to see.
Spoiler:
  • The game runs alot smoother generally.
  • Previously you were unable to run away from Bosses. This will now be a thing you can do, with the Bosses' HP being the same (with some amount of healing) at the time you fled, much like the SNES game.
  • Level 2 Orbs have been added. The only way to get them in Episode 1 is randomly getting them from Item Tiles.
  • Military will attack you if you get close to them, instead of you interacting with them. You can flee them, which "stuns" them briefly, preventing you from being forced into another battle immediately.
  • A different kind of Monster Logbook has been added that will outline enemy stats and such (AKA a Bestiary)
  • An image gallery (what the monster logbook used to be) will be available showing concept or progression images of SGR's progress.
  • Dialogue is being modified either to fix broken English or because I don't like it.
  • Player tutorial will return (Not starring Megalon this time, though)
  • Item storage and money bank are being removed as the item carry limit is being removed entirely.
  • Equips are currently being tested out. They will be called "Control Chip Upgrades" and will offer multiple kinds of effects, such as an Attack boost or more Fighting Spirit regeneration per turn.
  • A new battle system is currently being worked on, which includes the game acting somewhat more RPG-like.
  • All password effects from the previous version have been removed currently to focus on the core game. May or may not be readded in later episodes.
  • The roster for monsters in later versions have been modified. For the sake of not having to bring it up again, I won't be saying what monsters are in the current plans right now.
Here's an image of the current progress of the Osaka Stage - Of course it hasn't been finished yet.
Resized Image

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Re: Super Godzilla Returns [10-11-17]

Post by GigaBowserG »

A good idea with the military. Being able to avoid them altogether would make things a little too simple. Also, interesting choice with equips, reminds me a little of Badges from the likes of Mario & Luigi/Paper Mario. Really liking the new visuals for the generators and item tiles, too.
/crawls back under rock

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

May I have a suggestion?

Burninggodzillalord
Interpol Agent

LegendZilla wrote:May I have a suggestion?
Go ahead.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Burninggodzillalord wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:May I have a suggestion?
Go ahead.
It is just one thing and I hope it's not too much. I would include animations for the kaijus' attack movies, i.e actually see Godzilla shoot fire from his mouth.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burninggodzillalord
Interpol Agent

LegendZilla wrote:It is just one thing and I hope it's not too much. I would include animations for the kaijus' attack movies, i.e actually see Godzilla shoot fire from his mouth.
This is a planned feature as I have found a better battle script that allows this to be possible in VX Ace.

This image here was a screenshot posted on my DeviantArt at the beginning of this year showing the concept off. This image in particular, though, was made before my hard drive failed and lost the data (Meaning I have to do the animations over again, which I haven't done yet.) The final result should look similar to this image though.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Burninggodzillalord wrote: This image in particular, though, was made before my hard drive failed and lost the data (Meaning I have to do the animations over again, which I haven't done yet.) The final result should look similar to this image though.
I'm sorry to hear that.