Millennium Godzilla film favorites from greatest to least!

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Re: Millennium Godzilla film favorites from greatest to leas

Post by KaijuFiend »

The Millennium series is my least favorite as well. Showa has the most camp factor, the most fun, and the most original and memorable monsters, as well as being classics. Heisei has the more serious tone, overarching story instead of stand-alones, and a decent amount of original monsters. The only monster that feels completely original from Millennium is Orga. Megaguirus is second after that, but while she does have some original traits, she's still yet another insect monster without a lot of things to help distinguish her. Kiryu is simply another incarnation of MechaGodzilla, and Monster X/ Kaiser Ghidorah is another incarnation of Ghidorah. Had the Millennium series introduced more original monsters, I'd have likely enjoyed it a lot more.

Chris85
Ronin

Post by Chris85 »

1. Godzilla against Mechagodzilla
2. Godzilla Final Wars
3. Tokyo SOS
4. GMK
5. G2k
8. Godzilla X Megaguirus

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Having recently gotten the Blu-Ray, I've come to the conclusion that I may actually hate Tokyo SOS more than Godzilla x Mechagodzilla.

But god f*cking damn do I hate them both.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Tokyo SOS

Godzilla 2000

Godzilla X MG

Megaguirus

GMK

Final Wars.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

NorthCoast
Ronin

Post by NorthCoast »

1. Godzilla 2000: Millennium
2. Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S
3. Godzilla against Mechagodzilla
4. Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
5. Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
6. Godzilla: Final Wars

Benn_Sonic_exe
Monsterland Worker

Post by Benn_Sonic_exe »

1. Final Wars

2. Tokyo S.O.S.

3. GMK
AKA Jamie.

Gotschiller
Interpol Agent

Post by Gotschiller »

1. GMK

2. Godzilla 2000: Millennium

3. Godzilla Final Wars

4. Tokyo SOS

5. Godzilla against Mechagodzilla

6. Godzilla vs Megaguirus
Hi!

1tisoygoji
Gotengo Officer

Post by 1tisoygoji »

1. GMK
2. Godzilla X Mechagodzilla
3. Godzilla 2000
4. Godzilla Tokyo SOS
5.Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
6. Godzilla Final Wars

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

GMK
GxMG
GxMxMG: Tokyo SOS
GxM
G2000
GFW
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Giant Condor
Yojimbo

Post by Giant Condor »

1. GMK: One of the best entries in the series, topped only by the original Gojira. I prefer the more serious Godzilla films, so yeah….this one ranks pretty high. The only real drawback is Ghidorah's size and it still doesn't bother me that much.
2. GxMG: Easily the best depiction of MechaGodzilla, and the best G-suit, IMO. A fun ride from start to finish.
3. Tokyo SOS: I debated putting this at #2, but it recycles too many plot points from other films in the series (mainly Mothra vs Godzilla). It's still one of the best G-films, and has probably the best portrayal of Mothra yet.
4. Godzilla 2000: Decent film with the best Godzilla design up to that point. Orga was an interesting opponent as well.
5. GxM: A collection of interesting ideas that doesn't quite come together.
6. GFW: An awful film, easily the worst "true" Godzilla film since the Showa era.

Dino4ex
Samurai

Post by Dino4ex »

Godzilla Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
Godzilla 2000
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
Godzilla: Final Wars
Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
Giant Carnivorous Ants

GojiraFanMan
Yojimbo

Post by GojiraFanMan »

1) Godzilla, Mothra, & King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack = It has its flaws, but overall, the darker tone and Godzilla being completely evil made it stand out among the series and the full destructive force of Godzilla is on full display and it is great.

2) Godzilla X Mothra X Mechagodzilla: Tokyo SOS = It was Tezuka's best entry by a mile. It has some nice call backs to the original Mothra, features some great kaiju action (with a much appreciate decrease in CGI usage) and it is just fun all around. Also, it was nice to see the rebooting with every new entry put on hold for at least one movie and to get a frigging sequel.

3) Godzilla 2000 = This one was a huge part of the healing process for me after the debacle that was the Tristar Godzilla. To get to see this in theaters stateside was a big treat for me. Love Godzilla's news design and the battle with Orga is a lot of fun. There are a lot of digs at Emmerich & Devlin, which you could interpret as petty, but hey, it just added to the fun for me.

4) Godzilla: Final Wars = Despite its flaws (and trust me, there are a lot of them), I certainly can't fault this movie for lacking ambition. They tried to throw everything out there but the kitchen sink. It was like they took Godzilla's entire history, threw it in a blender, and just splattered the results on a movie screen. Despite the flaws, it is fun to watch

5) Godzilla X Megaguiras = It gets by on some ridiculously fun ideas like the Dimension Tide, and a fun atmosphere to it that in some ways harkens back to the 70s, but it isn't very good overall. It comes across like a weak sauce version of Gamera 2, and Megaguiras itself is probably the most superfluous opponent Godzilla has ever had. It exists for the sole purpose of giving Godzilla a monster to fight and nothing else. They could have raised moral questions about how the Dimension Tide unleashed this greater evil on humanity or even to have the defense force shift their focus from dealing with Godzilla to dealing with this swarm, but that never seems to happen.

6) Godzilla X Mechagodzilla = This movie had a lot of good ideas and one of the best opening sequences to any Godzilla movie, but it just doesn't pan out well. The human characters are a complete bore and seem preoccupied with other things besides Godzilla. The idea for Mechagodzilla's creation is a nice idea, but there is very little payoff to it in this movie. How did they fix Mechagodzilla anyway? I mean, what was to stop it from going crazy again?

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

1. Godzilla 2000: Millennium
2. Godzilla: Final Wars
3. Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.
4. Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla
5. Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
6. Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Undertaker Goji
Monarch Researcher

Post by Undertaker Goji »

1. GMK - It's my favorite Godzilla design, not much of a contest here.
2. Godzilla 2000 - The only thing that would have made this any better would be if Orga had put up more of a fight.
3. Godzilla vs. Megaguirus/Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla/Godzilla: Tokyo SOS - I rewatched Godzilla vs. Megaguirus recently and it was better than I remembered it being. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla and Tokyo SOS were both pretty good.
4. Godzilla Final Wars - Even though this is the last on the list, it's not because I think it's bad so much as number three was a three way tie. I liked how much action this movie had, and my dad randomly brought home the 8 inch vinyl for me one day when he came home from work. So nostalgia :D
"You can call this the new world order of professional wrestling brother!"
-Hulk Hogan, WCW Bash at the Beach 1996
Godzilla21 wrote:
MandaSaurus wrote:Wow. The last few pages have been interesting. Ranging from Mssr. French calling people who missed out on a piece & those who bought a re-paint 'dumb skreeonks' to GTU suggesting commando hit squads should take out scalpers. What a day... :lol:
Welcome to another day in the TK SHMA thread.

C-rex
Monsterland Worker

Post by C-rex »

1.-G2000
2.-GxM
3.-T:SOS
4.-GFW
5.-GxMG
6.-GMK
if they somehow had some continuity I migth re order them, but as they are mostly stand alone fils this is my list

Tomzilla
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by Tomzilla »

The Greatest: Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack

For starters, it tries and excels at being different. Not only is Godzilla depicted as an unstoppable force of destruction, he's presented to be an unstoppable god of destruction. This Godzilla was truly malevolent. It was great seeing Baragon again, new and improved. King Ghidorah's portrayal left much to be desired, as I prefer the King of Terror over the Guardian Beast. Mothra was a real treat, however. Now that the monsters are out of the way, I'd like to touch base on the plot, visuals, characters, and sound. As far as monster movie plots are concerned, GMK is great. It's neither cheesy nor too serious. It lives and breathes in the universe its filmmakers have created. The visuals are spectacular, although a step below Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris. That's mostly because of time restraints on the production. The humans were likable, especially Admiral Taizo Tachibana. Last but not least, this film is filled with great sound effects and a great score by Kow Otani.

Godzilla X MechaGodzilla

GMK was a tough act to follow, which is why it's ironic for me to place GxMG second on this list, because it was the next Godzilla movie to chronologically follow my #1 choice. Let me first say, GxMG had a terrific opening. It was ominous, well-paced, and had my full attention. Godzilla's entrance, along with the lightning flashing behind his savage image, made me very excited. What follows next is a truly memorable performance by the main character, Akane Yashiro. She had my condolences when she suffered; she had my praise when she succeeded. And what about Kiryu, the MechaGodzilla of the new Millennium? He's definitely my favorite MechaGodzilla. I love how he's really the original Godzilla in disguise. Overall, this is a great, fun movie.

Godzilla: Tokyo SOS

This is a sequel to GxMG. Like most sequels, it tries to copy the success of the original, while adding more style over substance. It's by no means superior to its predecessor. It succeeds, however, in being mostly entertaining. Where GxMG excelled in having an interesting main character, SOS struggles. I didn't really care for the human characters in this. I cared more about the monsters. Looks like that is what the filmmakers were going for. Kiryu is a more fleshed out character, which delighted me. Godzilla wasn't quite the dull creature he was in GxMG. Here, he showed a bit more personality. Mothra was executed perfectly. Even though I'm not interested in watching the movie again through its entirety, I'd happily skip straight to the monster parts, as they're very enjoyable to watch.

Godzilla 2000

Unfortunately, my respect for this movie has dwindled over the years. I once watched it with great glee and enthusiasm. That's probably because it was the first true Godzilla movie I ever saw in theaters. So don't get me wrong, it holds a special place in my heart. That doesn't change the fact it's mostly boring. Godzilla does kick ass, and I was extremely happy to see him return to form. Orga is and always will possess so much potential, as I explored in my KWC story. G2K was, at least, a stomp in the right direction.

This Godzilla movie is different. Yes, I know that's a big understatement. It really depends on my mood as to whether or not I'm going to enjoy it. Currently, I don't really like it, which is why it's nearly at the bottom of my list. I do remember seeing a special screening of it in Seattle. I had a very great time that night. This movie only works if you're seeing it with a large crowd of people who are there just to enjoy mindless fun, which I have nothing against. It's a wildcard when it comes to being a party movie, but it is a party movie nonetheless. I still don't like it right now.

The Least: Godzilla X Megaguirus

It's very, very boring. Megaguirus is, like, the only thing I liked about it. That and the musical score by Michiru Oshima.
Monster Sightings Video: GHIDORAH | King of Terror!
“Everyone, deep in their hearts, is waiting for the end of the world to come.”

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

1. GMK - If I'm grading the Godzilla films purely on an entertainment scale, then it's probably number one. I'm just enthralled whenever I watch it. The music, the characters, the story, the action all grab my interest and never let go. Yes, they could have developed the thematic elements more, but I have so much fun watching it every time I put it on that I'm willing to forgive that. The rather uninspiring King Ghidorah suit does dock it some points, but Godzilla, Mothra and Baragon are all impressive looking enough that it all evens out. One of my five favorite films in the franchise without a doubt.

2. Godzilla x Mechagodzilla - I'm tend to be more lenient on the Millennium series than most around here, but after GMK there is a bit of a drop-off. None of the remaining films in the series are really top-tier Godzilla films but of all of them, Godzilla x Mehagodzilla is the one that comes the closest. For starters, I like the characters a lot more in this entry than I do in the vast majority of the series. Akane Yashiro was everything Tsujimori from the previous film wasn't: badass, sympathetic, and determined. The fight scenes and sfx. are outstanding, possibly the series' high point, and Kiryu is my favorite Mechagodzilla incarnation. It may not be great, but it is good.

3. Godzilla 2000 - The movie does have a lot of strengths. The photography is amazing and once again, the characters are more interesting and relateable than the majority of the films in the franchise. But it feels sort of generic; let me explain, it feels like the writers just crafted the safest, most standard Godzilla story they could think of. Nothing here story wise or theme wise really jumps out at you, it's just giant monsters are attacking with some flourishes in presentation like the GPN and the outstanding opening sequence. The film also tends to drag after the saucer lands in Tokyo prior to Godzilla showing up. And Kenji Suzuki really did have a knack for terrible CGI. Overall, it's alright; too flawed for me to really call it a good entry.

4. Tokyo SOS - The story and characters are just a rehash of some prior movie and exist only as a framing device so we can see the monsters fight each other, so they're really not worth talking about. But the movie at least delivers on the action front, so it makes up for it on that front. Yes, as a whole, the movie just feels like same old, same old; but it has no pretensions about what it want to be and I'd be lying to myself if I sad I wasn't entertained for an hour and a half whenever I watch it, so it's an okay entry.

5. Final Wars - It's juvenile, hyperactive, over-the-top, unrestrained audacity makes me respect it to a point. But make no mistake, this is a bad movie, that feels like it was thrown together after the writers read some fanfics from the internet. It's laughably stupid and the fact that it shamelessly rips off numerous other, superior, films just makes me hate it even more. On a personal level, this is one of about four films in the franchise that I just hate, but it's style and flair at least make it more entertaining to watch than the film below it. So think of it as one of those films you love to hate rather than one of those films where you're checking the runtime on your phone to see how much of it is left to get through.

6. Godzilla vs. Megaguirus - Well, for one, I hate the characters. Okay, technically I only hate Tsujimori, but the rest annoy me and give me no reason to like them, so I'll just lump them all together. Secondly, black holes do not work that way. Thirdly, the film has no sense of scope and feels like a TV movie with how...sparse the sets and costumes look. The CGI is about as good as what you'd expect of a TV movie as well, so that's a thing. And finally, the thematic bankruptcy of the movie with how it never addresses the ethical or moral implications of using a superweapon to defeat Godzilla when such concerns over superweapons and exploiting science that we don't fully understand forms the backbone of the entire series. Final Wars may be stupider, but Megaguirus isn't executed as well and completely loses the spirit of the series.

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

GREAT

Godzilla, Mothra & King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack

GOOD

Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
Godzilla 2000

AVERAGE

Godzilla Vs Megaguirus
Tokyo SOS

I don't think any of them are straight up bad.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

If we're looking at the films in terms of how successful they were, the list would look something like this:

Box Office
Godzilla 2000- $25 million
Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack- $20 million
Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla- $16 million
Godzilla Tokyo SOS- $12 million
Godzilla Final Wars- $12 million
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus- $10 million

Budget
Godzilla Final Wars- $19.5 million
Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack- $9.5 million
Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla- $8.5 million
Godzilla 2000- $8 million
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus- $8 million
Godzilla Tokyo SOS- N/A

Notes
Information pulled from Wikipedia.
Combining box office performances for both American and Japanese theatrical releases makes Godzilla 2000 the most successful. Looking at Japanese performance alone, it would fall to third (just under GXM with $15 million).

KingZillla
Interpol Agent

Post by KingZillla »

(1) Godzilla 2000
(2) Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla
(3) Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S
(4) Godzilla: GMK
(5) Godzilla vs Megaguirus
(6) Godzilla: Final Wars
We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent... Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." -The King Returns, 2016.

Let them fight - 2019