Millennium Godzilla film favorites from greatest to least!

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
RumbleJapan
GPN Volunteer

Re: Millennium Godzilla film favorites from greatest to leas

Post by RumbleJapan »

Godzilla vs Megaguirus -- simply horrid. Which is a shame since they used one of my favorite Goji suits.

GMK - probably the best millenium film IMO. All the others are just in-between, excluding GFW which is down at the bottom of the barrel.
Visit my fan site: Goji Database

Varan58
Samurai

Post by Varan58 »

1. Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah - Not a fantastic movie, but very solid. Definitely the most dynamic monster action since Biollante, and overall a good execution of an intriguing concept. Some decent human characters don't hurt either. I'm also gonna go against the common opinion and say that this has my favorite score of the six Millennium films.

2. Godzilla: Tokyo SOS - This is actually probably tied with GMK. I think Tezuka improved pretty significantly with each of his films, and while this one might be a retread of past ideas, it comes together nicely and feels like a complete movie, unlike the bottom half of this list. The opening scene of this one is phenomenal.

3. Godzilla 2000 - Eh. This one's a mid-teir G-film for me, perhaps even a bit below average. I think the first 15 minutes or so are great, and actually the movie as a whole is (mostly) very well made. But for the most part I just find it sort of bland. I like the human villain and the Godzilla suit, but that's all that really stands out to me. Granted, I haven't seen the US cut in years, and I know that's the one everyone seems to enjoy. Maybe a re-watch is in order?

4. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla - I used to like this one a lot more. In fact, a year ago I might have swapped its placing here with SOS's. I love the idea of using Godzilla's bones to build a Mechagodzilla, but the interesting aspects of that concept are pretty much thrown out at the midway point. Then the movie starts going on about creep dad and plant daughter, and basically loses my attention except for parts of the final battle.

5. Godzilla vs. Megaguirus - This whole movie feels like a cheap-o straight to DVD production. The final battle is pretty enjoyable, mostly for its unapologetic goofiness. Aside from that, this one doesn't do anything much for me. I think I fell asleep last time I watched it.

6. Godzilla: Final Wars - The hell is this? Give me Don Frye, Rodan's entrance, the alien kid, the veteran actors, the monster roster and the Zilla battle and you can take everything else. I do kinda get why people like this one, because yeah, there are some (fleeting) neat moments, but this movie just annoys me. It's ugly, it's unfocused, and it's just a completely misguided attempt at a fiftieth anniversary film.

kaijubuddy
Yojimbo

Post by kaijubuddy »

1.) GxMG

2.) G2000

3.) GTSOS

4.) GxM

5.) GMK

6.) GFW
Happy Holidays Everybody!

mschenk
Samurai

Post by mschenk »

1. Godzilla GMK
2. Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla
3. Final Wars
4. Godzilla 2000
5. S.O.S.
6. Megaguiras

Even though these are listed from best to "worst", I like all of them. A lot of people don't like Megaguiras but I liked the storyline with the black hole, that he fought an original monster, and it was just good fun.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

None of these I really dislike, some I have more beef with and general disappointment.

1)GMK. Great all around.
2)Megaguirius. Starts having female protagonists! Great ending fight!
3)Against Mechagodzilla. Not perfect but this has grown on me. Godzilla uses his breathe weapon in different ways.
4) Final War. God...so many things I dislike but really my biggest beefs aren't up until the final human battle. First hour is really enjoyable.
5) SOS kind of dry, Mothra and Mechagodzilla team up is a really neat idea. Goes from nodding to downright borrowing from Mothra vs Godzilla.
6) 2000. Really really dry but the dub. I like this way more than when I saw it as a kid. Needed some middle action for Godzilla for sure.

Jeff Nesteruk
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff Nesteruk »

1. Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
2. Godzilla 2000: Millennium
3. Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S
4. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
5. Godzilla: Final Wars
6. Godzilla vs Megaguirus

I think Tokyo S.O.S and GxM are tied, but I think Tokyo S.O.S may be better though.
[quote="Smuggers"]Yeah, I can't wait for GOゴジラLA to come out.[/quote]

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

1.) Godzilla 2000: Most unique and enjoyable of the series. Clever story, good characters, great music and amazing kaiju designs.
2.) GMK: Often cited as "da bes". I personally don't see it, but it's still a very good movie.
3.) Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla: Love Kiryu and his origin. Enjoyable story with likeable protagonist.
4.) Godzilla Tokyo S.O.S.: Haven't seen this in a while, so consider it a tie for third with GXMG.
5.) Godzilla vs. Megaguirus: Not a great film, but the fight scenes are watchable and Megaguirus has a great design.
6.) Godzilla: Final Wars: All the bad things that have been said are bad. All the good things that have been said are good.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

1: GMK: It's tied with Destoroyah and Gojira as my favourite Godzilla movie, so there's that.

2: Tokyo SOS: A massive battle that takes up a good part of the movie, the best looking Mothra ever, incredible special effects… This one is just fun all around, and a solid film.

3. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla: From a critical standpoint, I think this one is actually a bit better than Tokyo SOS, though it's not quite as enjoyable to me.

4. G2K: My first non-Showa film, this one holds a lot of nostalgia for me. The practical effects are top notch, and the enemy monster is cool and unique. Orga's appearance at the end had me hold the blanket up to my chin as a kid. Titanosaurus, Ghidorah, and other Showa beasts never looked quite as creepy as Orga did.

5. Godzilla: Final Wars: Good movie? No. Well made? No. Fun? YES. I remember seeing Zilla in the movie for the first time, pausing, rewinding to make sure I wasn't seeing things, and then freaking out when I realized that the American Godzilla was in the movie. This film is also responsible for reigniting my interest in Godzilla, and prompting me to look up Godzilla information online, after seeing several monsters I never knew about. And thus, my rise to true fandom began.

6. Godzilla vs Megaguirus: Same boat as FW. Not good, per say, but fun. However, this one didn't have nearly as big as an impact on me when I first saw it. Have to say, I LOVE Megaguirus herself, though. Easily one of my favourite kaiju ever.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

GMK
G2K - American cut
GXMG/ GMMG
GXM
GFW

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

GMK Giant Monsters All Out Attack: Easily my favorite, just wonder how much better it could have been if Toho didn't force Mothra and King Ghidorah into the line up.
Godzilla Final Wars: A fun action through back to the late Showa era.
Godzilla X Megaguirus: I really enjoyed this one the last time I watched it, it does have many flaws, but they aren't enough to sink the movie.
Godzilla Tokyo SOS: A superior sequel to the previous film, it does a pretty good job cutting between the characters and the daikaiju action in the 2nd and 3rd act.
Godzilla 2000: A nice attempt at relaunching the Godzilla franchise, but isn't well paced.
Godzilla X Mechagodzilla: A mess of a film

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

1. GMK or GxMG (tied)
3. Tokyo SOS
4. 2000
5. Final Wars
6. Megaguirus

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

GMK
Final Wars
Tokyo SOS
Godzilla 2000
Godzilla × MechaGodzilla
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
Last edited by F4ZaTE_X on Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
Derzerb wrote:And his name is WARNED USER

three
Keizer

Post by three »

F4ZaTE_X wrote:6. Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
5. Godzilla × MechaGodzilla
4. Godzilla × Megaguirus: G Extermination Strategy
3. Godzilla 2000: Millennium :g2k:
2. Godzilla × Mothra × MechaGodzilla: Tokyo SOS
1. Godzilla: Final Wars :monsterx:
i have no idea how to interpret this :lol:

it's from greatest to least, but you assigned them numbers in descending order. so it looks like least to greatest.

but FW is at the bottom...where most people would have it. and GMK is at the top...but because of the numbering, i'm left wondering.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

three wrote:
F4ZaTE_X wrote:6. Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
5. Godzilla × MechaGodzilla
4. Godzilla × Megaguirus: G Extermination Strategy
3. Godzilla 2000: Millennium :g2k:
2. Godzilla × Mothra × MechaGodzilla: Tokyo SOS
1. Godzilla: Final Wars :monsterx:
i have no idea how to interpret this :lol:

it's from greatest to least, but you assigned them numbers in descending order. so it looks like least to greatest.

but FW is at the bottom...where most people would have it. and GMK is at the top...but because of the numbering, i'm left wondering.
I'm used to having the one I like the most at the bottom, I wasn't paying attention. Fixed.
Last edited by F4ZaTE_X on Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derzerb wrote:And his name is WARNED USER

three
Keizer

Post by three »

ah, ok. that makes more sense then. ^_^
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Hmm, favorites to least favorites?

GMK
Megaguirus
MechaGodzilla
G2000
Tokyo SOS
Final Wars

Although the only one I specifically dislike is Final Wars.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Huh? Didn't I post my list in here? I could've sworn I did... Ah well, here we go:

1./2. Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah/Godzilla against Mechagodzilla
3. Godzilla 2000
4. Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.
5. Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
6. Godzilla: Final Wars

I find I can't definitively choose between GMK and GxMG, so I have them tied. As I've said before, my perfect Millennium Godzilla would've been the crew of GMK shooting the script of GxMG. ^_^ G2K is my number two, and has my favorite battle of the Millennium era (Godzilla vs. the UFO in Shinjuku). Tokyo SOS is, IMO, a decent sequel to GxMG although it could've been better and is a somewhat disappointing end to the Kiryuverse. GxM is saved from dead last by virtue of the creative opening news reel sequence, but otherwise I find really boring and a waste. GFW...has issues. It's got a lot of good ideas, but they're put together rather poorly and the whole thing is just too much of a mess.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

I honestly can not hate Final Wars. I just can't. In fact, it is one of the few Godzilla movies I watch the most.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:I honestly can not hate Final Wars. I just can't. In fact, it is one of the few Godzilla movies I watch the most.
My biggest qualms about GFW are the overly long slow motion sequences and the whole Minilla subplot. I also wish the human fights were better choreographed and more impactful. They were very subdued and dare i say wimpy in comparison to Kitamura's other films but I think that was mostly TOHO's doing. I mean look how lame the sword fights and that we're in Yamato Takeru.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote:I honestly can not hate Final Wars. I just can't. In fact, it is one of the few Godzilla movies I watch the most.
My biggest qualms about GFW are the overly long slow motion sequences and the whole Minilla subplot. I also wish the human fights were better choreographed and more impactful. They were very subdued and dare i say wimpy in comparison to Kitamura's other films but I think that was mostly TOHO's doing. I mean look how lame the sword fights and that we're in Yamato Takeru.
Oh, FW has a lot of problems. For every one thing it does, it does two things wrong. However, for some reason, I enjoy this movie a lot more than a lot of others and I'm not sure why.