Super Godzilla (SNES)

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Re: Super Godzilla (SNES)

Post by GigaBowserG »

Red Hunter wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:^Instead of taking no damage at all, would LESS damage make playing the game a less tedious experience?
And why it would be tedious if Godzilla would took no damage at buildings? We already have the damage taken by tanks and traps and the fact we can get lost in some maps to get "entertained"
They apply the same "run into buildings and take damage" thing in Godzilla Generations, too. But you can recover health by roaring in that game. I believe the whole building-damage aspect was an intentional mechanic to make the Super Godzilla transformation more rewarding (you take no damage from buildings or military weapon fire as Super Godzilla).
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

I'm probably going to be gutted like a fish for this, but who is bagan? I know he's the big boss in this game but what is about him that everyone goes nuts over
your source of self destruction

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

master_of_monsters wrote:I'm probably going to be gutted like a fish for this, but who is bagan? I know he's the big boss in this game but what is about him that everyone goes nuts over
TK pages, man :( Pretty much all the bio info you need is there. But he's also somewhat notoriously known for being planned (and cut) from several films.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Red Hunter
Monarch Researcher

Post by Red Hunter »

GigaBowserG wrote:
Red Hunter wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:^Instead of taking no damage at all, would LESS damage make playing the game a less tedious experience?
And why it would be tedious if Godzilla would took no damage at buildings? We already have the damage taken by tanks and traps and the fact we can get lost in some maps to get "entertained"
They apply the same "run into buildings and take damage" thing in Godzilla Generations, too. But you can recover health by roaring in that game. I believe the whole building-damage aspect was an intentional mechanic to make the Super Godzilla transformation more rewarding (you take no damage from buildings or military weapon fire as Super Godzilla).
I know but Godzilla Generations IS a game where you NEED to destroy buildings all time
master_of_master wrote:I'm probably going to be gutted like a fish for this, but who is bagan? I know he's the big boss in this game but what is about him that everyone goes nuts over
A villain that was planned to appear in a showa era movie, but was cancelled
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

Don't read this. You did, see ya in hell

Godz
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godz »

And in Generations you had other moves you could use to destroy the buildings. Super G would've been more fun if you could use Godzilla's breath on command in this way
SAVE_US.GDZ

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

master_of_monsters wrote:I'm probably going to be gutted like a fish for this, but who is bagan? I know he's the big boss in this game but what is about him that everyone goes nuts over
Godzilla

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Turns out the game has a secret stage select screen! Japanese version only, though.

Left, Right, Y, A, Up, X, Down, B
if you want to try it for yourself.
/crawls back under rock

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

GigaBowserG wrote:Turns out the game has a secret stage select screen! Japanese version only, though.

Left, Right, Y, A, Up, X, Down, B
if you want to try it for yourself.
That's awesome! I read about a code that let you do this on the US version ages ago on Gamefaq and was disappointed when it didn't work.

I first got this game back when I was a kid and despite it's flaws I came to really enjoy it. It definitely has an odd fighting system but it can be fun once you get used to it. The overall atmosphere of the game, the dynamic battle sequences, and the excellent music all make this game worth playing. I also love the badass final boss Bagan and Super Godzilla himself. I've always wanted to see those two in a movie someday. Like the PS4 Godzilla game I find this is a very entertaining game to watch, back in the day my friends would love to sit down and watch me play this, and my little brother still enjoys watching me stomp through this classic game.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Godz wrote:And in Generations you had other moves you could use to destroy the buildings. Super G would've been more fun if you could use Godzilla's breath on command in this way
So this game easily could have been an adventure/beat em up like TMNT or Final Fight, but they had to include a weird mechinic. I notice fro some reason, Godzilla games are the ones where they try some weird mechnic like the slot machine in Godzilla 2 War of Monsters. Like damn, you have to make even a turn based games more complex than it already is? Just make an adventure game.

Super Godzilla had a great story, music and presentation but the game mechnic is a turn off for most people (including me), so non fans are not gonna stick with it. On the flip side the PS3/PS4 Godzilla is like Super Godzilla but minus the story and the goal is reverse with the reactors being the goal and the monster fights being optional.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

So....I just noticed on the front page that concept art has been added for this game. (Check out concept art at the bottom of the page.)

http://www.tohokingdom.com/vg/super_god ... ics.htm#ca

Some of these designs were nuts. If they had to go with one of these instead of what we ended up getting, I would choose the third. But in the first one I immediately thought of Biollante, the second one reminded me of Keizer Ghidorah, and the fourth made me think of a centaur. :lol:
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

3rd was my favorite of the batch, too, and that weird bigass centaur looks boss. But I'm 100% satisfied with the design we ended up with; none of those really captured the same Heisei Ghidoran face as the decided design. Funny how it feels the most tame of the bunch now in comparison :P
/crawls back under rock

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

Oh god! Imagine if he became centaur Godzilla!

Seriously my brain broke when I saw that. Maybe we should just keep Godzilla with two legs please
Resized Image

PineappleProducer
Monsterland Worker

Post by PineappleProducer »

Gah! I always hated centaurian designs. Plenty happy with what we got.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

My only issue with the centaur design is that it seriously needs a pair of wings.

I can see it now.

Bagan has Super Godzilla on the ropes. It seems the enhanced monster king won't make it. Then, he taps into previously unknown wells of power deep within. A new transformation begins. Rising into the air before unworthy humanity's eyes is the godly form of... Hyper Godzilla!
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

PineappleProducer
Monsterland Worker

Post by PineappleProducer »

I'm also just now realizing that the only difference between concept arts 3 and 4 is that they just added an extra lower body and altered the tail a little. C'mon guys!

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Those designs are way too extreme. I absolutely hate the small head and long neck. The Biollante-looking one looks like the best design, I'll admit.

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Post by SomeknowmeasXeno »

Ivo-goji wrote:My only issue with the centaur design is that it seriously needs a pair of wings.

I can see it now.

Bagan has Super Godzilla on the ropes. It seems the enhanced monster king won't make it. Then, he taps into previously unknown wells of power deep within. A new transformation begins. Rising into the air before unworthy humanity's eyes is the godly form of... Hyper Godzilla!
But will it give kids seizures with rainbow power?
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

YO I recently got the Japanese official guide book for Super Godzilla - there are a whole slew of codes I've never seen!

What the heck is "ANIME PAUSE"? :lol:

Edit, it looks like you actually unlock Stage Select naturally if you RESET the game (don't turn it off) after defeating it once. But, it doesn't explain how to get those other options at the bottom...
/crawls back under rock

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Somebody should create a ROM hack of this to fix some of the gripes people have with game.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

LegendZilla wrote:Somebody should create a ROM hack of this to fix some of the gripes people have with game.
That's not how ROM hacks work.

That's more of a home brew.

Added in 26 seconds:
+1

Good find!