Super Godzilla (SNES)

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Zilla103192
Keizer

Super Godzilla (SNES)

Post by Zilla103192 »

I just bought this game at a convention. Surprised there was no thread for this game. There are threads discussing the monster "Super Godzilla" But not the actual game.

WHY THE FUCK IS MECHA GODZILLA SO HARD!??!!?!!? GAH!!

I CAN'T get past him at ALL!

I have wittled him down to 023 health, and he STILL beats me!

seriously! I leave the battle, refuel, collect items, and he beats me. every time.

I know you can't use your basic beam attack, because it just hurts yourself...

I can barely even get close enough to hit him 80% of the time, because he does that OMFGSUPASPEEDPUNCH attack every time I get close.

HELP!
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Re: SUPER GODZILLA

Post by GigaBowserG »

The best course of action against any of the monsters is to study their "Fighting Spirit" (FS), the little bar that moves back and forth. Godzilla's Fighting Spirit rises the closer he walks to his opponent, but the opponent's bar has a set pattern... their FS can also boost if you walk very quickly towards them, though!

To keep your own Fighting Spirit low & approach enemies more easily (save the later game ones), just hold Down on your D-pad!
When you press the control pad (down), Godzilla goes onto the defensive. Pressing the control pad (down) and holding it increases Godzilla's defensive force. The enemy can not launch a major attack, but Godzilla's fighting spirit drops rapidly. The greater Godzilla's defensive force, the less damage he receives from an enemy body attack.
What I like to do is crawl towards the opponent; I take one very small step, hold down on the D-pad, take another small step, hold down, walk, hold down, etc.
While pretty tedious, it's better than taking tons of damage from Mechagodzilla.

Mechagodzilla's Fighting Spirit fluctuates pretty greatly, especially when compared to King Ghidorah, but it's not impossible; if you have to, take his health down little by little with your tail attacks. Having a high Fighting Spirit bar is not recommended, as you don't want to risk using your Fire Breath Attack.

Until you've studied Mechagodzilla's bar, it'll be pretty difficult to take him down. His FS rises for about 2 seconds, then drops rapidly for about 2 more seconds - this is where you should strike. If you fail, his FS will rise again very quickly, and this is where he'll get you. But once you exploit the weak points in his attacks, he becomes pretty easy!

* Ah - another quick tip: After you've landed a successful attack on any boss, sometimes their Fighting Spirit will do this after the animation finishes: http://youtu.be/s4EBiGVURzE?t=13m17s
If you see their Fighting Spirit suddenly rise like that, hold down on the D-pad! It should lower your own bar, and keep you safe from their strong attacks. Biollante loves to do that.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: SUPER GODZILLA

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I'm usually forced to spam him with tail whips and body slams. Yeah I hate that damned rush thing he does.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Handsome Jack
G-Force Personnel

Re: Super Godzilla (SNES)

Post by Handsome Jack »

I can't even beat Biollante so don't feel bad.
What’s that saying? Don’t pick a fight with a man with nothing left to lose? I’m going to show you just how much you have left to lose.

Where the hell is -- I had a violin somewhere, I was gonna play it all sarcastically --goddammit, I saw it like a day ago. Blake! Violin!

You are a bandit AND I AM THE GODDAMN HERO!

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

What GigaBowserG said. Gotta pay attention to their fighting spirit bar and move accordingly. Battra is the only one that gives me fits
"A monster can live forever"

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Fortunately a friend of mine got the japanese version when it was brand new in 1994 (featuring Heisei MG). back then there was no internet or strategy guides, so we had tons of fun trying to figure out the system. But we did in quick fashion. battra I think was the most frustrating because it took the longest to figure out only the "Super Ray" (as we called it back then) was effective.

By the time the American version came out in 1995 (which i still have to this day) we were pros and finished it with relative ease, though having the dialogue in english was finally nice to have.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

HOLY BALLS, this game brings back alot of nostalgia. I recently got my retro duo in the mail (retro duo=system that plays nes and snes) and literally the next day a game store opened up close to meh house and I got super Godzilla and sim city. I popped super Godzilla in and started playing. I didn't remember the controls at first a died to king ghidorah. I restarted and beat him, got to mechagodzilla and could barely hit him in the Godzilla form and lost a significant amount of health by him merely punching me. It was pretty bad. The game doesn't tell you what the controls are, so it's basically up to the player to figure it out. I remember as a kid playing this game. I didn't know the controls vary well and it doesn't help that your fighting Godzilla's most iconic arch enemies as THE FIRST BOSS! For what the game is it's ok but can be alot of fun or extremely tedious or boring or frustrating or stress inducing or.....I need to stop remembering my childhood
Resized Image

ReturnoftheKing14
Samurai

Post by ReturnoftheKing14 »

I have it on an SNES sim on my phone. i hate how enemies seem to use whatever attack they feel like without regard to FS

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

ReturnoftheKing14 wrote:I have it on an SNES sim on my phone. i hate how enemies seem to use whatever attack they feel like without regard to FS
To be fair, Godzilla can too if he hits his Random (?) button. Though the game usually trolls you with just tail attacks, or the worst possible move (Fire Breath Attack against Mechagodzilla, Body Strike against Biollante).
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

85% of the time you will use Body Slam with that on Biollante. I need to find the video, for those who wondered actually how long it would take (infinite life code enabled) to beat Bagan as normal Godzilla? About 45-47 minutes. Who would torture themselves doing that!

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

SpaceG92 wrote:I need to find the video, for those who wondered actually how long it would take (infinite life code enabled) to beat Bagan as normal Godzilla? About 45-47 minutes. Who would torture themselves doing that!
Me, apparently :P Even sped up the attack animations pretty early on or else it would've taken even longer!
http://youtu.be/xYZxWcK1abM
/crawls back under rock

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Oh...my...god!

First Darth Calypso now you! /fangasm! Yep that's the video!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Biollante is easy. Wait until she dives beneath the water then walk to the other end and let your spirit meter full up and wait for her to pop back up, punch her then fire breath her ass. Rinse and repeat.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Biollante is easy. Wait until she dives beneath the water then walk to the other end and let your spirit meter full up and wait for her to pop back up, punch her then fire breath her ass. Rinse and repeat.
It's easy if she doesn't pop up right underneath you, which she seems to do about half the time.
"A monster can live forever"

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

What Living Corpse said.
When Biollante is underwater, it's easy to approach & raise your fighting spirit. But it's a matter of diligence and timing after that, since she can emerge from the water whenever she wants. I like to stay around halfway across the screen, then dance back and forth to bait her out. If you're unsure, just lower your FS and try it again later.
/crawls back under rock

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Well yeah don't just stand in one spot. Like GB said dance back and forth a tad to keep your spirit up and attempt to lure her out. Works about 80% of the time for me.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

This game........this freaking game. Why did they have to make it like this when you got games like destroy all monsters
Resized Image

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

If it only just played like every other tournament fighter
Resized Image

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

The map is ok but if they kept it in I wouldn't mind
Resized Image

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Pardon the older bump - replayed the game pretty recently, and actually took the time to read the dialogue. Something I totally missed before was how the tanks are referred to - multiple times - as "enemy units" or "enemy tanks". I always figured they were JSDF because Godzilla (despite him being controlled), but now I wonder if they're alien weaponry resembling Japan's forces, or hijacked JSDF units.

Now I want to see what the Commander and such say about Heisei Mechagodzilla...
/crawls back under rock