King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Post by edgaguirus »

It does go against tradition, and some won't like that, but your idea sounds exciting.

Look at K:SI. This Kong can be friendly to humans it doesn't perceive as a threat, but it's also a wilder creature that will attack and destroy anyone or thing that is. This Kong doesn't seek human company as well. Kong becomes much more human relatable in G vs K, but K:SI is an anti-hero Kong.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:30 pm It does go against tradition, and some won't like that, but your idea sounds exciting.

Look at K:SI. This Kong can be friendly to humans it doesn't perceive as a threat, but it's also a wilder creature that will attack and destroy anyone or thing that is. This Kong doesn't seek human company as well. Kong becomes much more human relatable in G vs K, but K:SI is an anti-hero Kong.
That’s a first. Thanks. : )

A idea I had for the climax in New York, Ann and Kong re-engage their game of cat and mouse from Skull Island, now the setting changed to the concrete jungle, with her luring Kong through the city and to follow her up the Empire State Building so the military can get a clear shot at him and get trapped, by sticking her head out the window and moving up a few floors to regularly entice him further up. He’d nearly get her at the highest floor (before the tower section), she gets the fire emergency axe and swing it into his fingers. Causing him to fall back down several floors. With the firehouse she lassos her way outside on the roof and finally up to the top of the tower where Kong once more has her in hand.

This interpretation of the phrase, “Twas beauty that killed the beast” being more literal.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

ArtMaker wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:39 pm
edgaguirus wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:30 pm It does go against tradition, and some won't like that, but your idea sounds exciting.

That’s a first. Thanks. : )

A idea I had for the climax in New York, Ann and Kong re-engage their game of cat and mouse from Skull Island, now the setting changed to the concrete jungle, with her luring Kong through the city and to follow her up the Empire State Building so the military can get a clear shot at him and get trapped, by sticking her head out the window and moving up a few floors to regularly entice him further up. He’d nearly get her at the highest floor (before the tower section), she gets the fire emergency axe and swing it into his fingers. Causing him to fall back down several floors. With the firehouse she lassos her way outside on the roof and finally up to the top of the tower where Kong once more has her in hand.

This interpretation of the phrase, “Twas beauty that killed the beast” being more literal.
I agree! This is an exciting reinterpretation of the story! Ann Darrow vs Kong, victim vs brutalizer.

I’ve also been bothered by how quickly people forgive Kong for his atrocities. You reasoned that Kong may not have been responsible for the deaths of his past sacrifices, but what about the men that Kong attacked on the log bridge? Their only goal was to rescue Ann. They didn’t deserve to die. Where is their justice? I like that in your version they are avenged by the person they tried to save.

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

SpiderZilla wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:05 pm
I agree! This is an exciting reinterpretation of the story! Ann Darrow vs Kong, victim vs brutalizer.

I’ve also been bothered by how quickly people forgive Kong for his atrocities. You reasoned that Kong may not have been responsible for the deaths of his past sacrifices, but what about the men that Kong attacked on the log bridge? Their only goal was to rescue Ann. They didn’t deserve to die. Where is their justice? I like that in your version they are avenged by the person they tried to save.

Well, he probably did cause at least over half for the sacrifices I’d say. He also killed several natives on the island and trashed their village, along with many bystanders in New York. That one girl who wasn’t Ann he dropped after realizing it wasn’t. Most famously his attack on the train.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

ArtMaker wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:58 pm
SpiderZilla wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:05 pm

Well, he probably did cause at least over half for the sacrifices I’d say. He also killed several natives on the island and trashed their village, along with many bystanders in New York. That one girl who wasn’t Ann he dropped after realizing it wasn’t. Most famously his attack on the train.
Kong was especially brutal in 1933. Each remake tones down his violence — the assault on the village was removed for the 1976 remake and fewer New Yorkers were killed in 2005 — but the massacre at the log bridge is always retained.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

ArtMaker wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:50 pm
edgaguirus wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:43 pm Kong could be just as flexible, provided you have an imaginative writer and team. Godzilla started out as a villain and evil force of destruction, but creative writers at Toho were able to come up with new ideas, directions, and themes for the character. Kong just needs that same creative force.
From my experience, not so much.

A reinterpretation I’ve proposed once and was very much hated was have Kong be a more antagonistic force, representing a abusive relationship, an ugly version of the beauty and beast trope. Cause well, while you can have sympathy towards the 8th wonder, he ain’t exactly a big puppy. Having most definitely maimed and killed a lot of people. No one ever seems to bring up his past sacrifices, all of either perished at his hand or some other Skull Island creature made a quick meal out of them. He saw Ann as nothing more than a plaything of his. Note, this is more in referral to the ‘33 film an small extent the ‘76. An inspiration for this was the 2020’s Invisible Man film. For comparison, Ann’s character growth would a mix of a final girl in horror film, Allen Ripley’s from Alien to Aliens condensed into one film, and Kevin from Home Alone. A game of cat and mouse as Ann tries to make her way across the monster infested island and back to the boat w/ an angry ape on her tail.

Suffice to say, not a lot of folks very much liked or cared for such a diversion.
Personally I feel like between King Kong and Godzilla, Godzilla is the more stagnant of the two. Kong has a lot more flexibility as long as there are decent writers and a creative team on board as Edgaguirus has stated. Kong's personality shines through his eyes and facial features. We're able to connect with him more because of how much more anthropomorphic he is than Godzilla. King Kong can easily be like what Godzilla is and switch over from protagonist to antagonist, as long as there are valid reasons for him doing so. Bomb his territory, harm his people, prey on the weak, and he'll come for you. If they had a story where Skull Island (or now a territory of the Hollow Earth) is nuked and Kong is partially engulfed in that, witnessing those he loves die, he could become a force that Godzilla and other monsters would have to stop. He could easily just turn on humanity if they went out of their way to harm him. There is room for a lot more stories with Kong then there is with Godzilla though mainly because of how he is able to communicate with and acknowledge humans. The only time Godzilla has really done that is in Godzilla The Series and a film or two from the Showa era which was already meant to be campy and for kids, so it was a bit more acceptable. I personally enjoy Godzilla not fully embracing humanity, yet his son does, but there is always room for fresh takes. But to say "What else is there you can do with Kong anyways" isn't the greatest question since you can do a lot more with Kong then you can Godzilla. Again you just need a great team of writers who are actually passionate about the character. You also gotta consider what a mess Kong's rights are, and that if they weren't so screwed up he would most likely have more entries in film then Godzilla does. It's great Toho has such a tremendous amount of respect for Godzilla, Kong however needs that same kind of treatment.
Image Image

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

What do you all think of BigJackFilms’ and HewyToonmore’s videos on what a hypothetical animated King Kong film made by Disney would look like?

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Anyone a fan of the 2000 animated Kong? Recently bought the DVDs and its not bad.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^I think Disney will inevitably make their own version of King Kong after 2029 when the first film goes PD.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:58 pm ^I think Disney will inevitably make their own version of King Kong after 2029 when the first film goes PD.
....why do you think that?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^There has been King Kong cartoons before, so why would Disney not want to give it a shot?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:44 pm ^There has been King Kong cartoons before, so why would Disney not want to give it a shot?
Same could be said for any PD character. Yet you don't see Disney tackling Sherlock Holmes.
For Emperor and Empire!

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

did you guys already forget the D+ series in the works
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Voyager wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:09 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:44 pm ^There has been King Kong cartoons before, so why would Disney not want to give it a shot?
Same could be said for any PD character. Yet you don't see Disney tackling Sherlock Holmes.
Well, actually they kinda-sorta did, in The Adventures of the Great Mouse Detective (1985).

But after that, they didn't follow up on it.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Not sure why we’re speculating about a Disney Kong when it’s already happening:

https://deadline.com/2022/08/king-kong- ... 98603/amp/

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Any else think they're gonna continue Peter Jackson's King Kong lore someday.

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:30 am Any else think they're gonna continue Peter Jackson's King Kong lore someday.
I hope not, cause I think it’s fine where it left off. Not to say there won’t be one that lifts inspiration (be it a lot or small amounts) from his version, but only time will tell.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:30 am Any else think they're gonna continue Peter Jackson's King Kong lore someday.
My knee-jerk reaction was an incredulous " what? of course not." Buuut.... we're in the golden age of reboots and remakes and massively late sequels. It's not impossible, just really unlikely.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:33 pm
My knee-jerk reaction was an incredulous " what? of course not." Buuut.... we're in the golden age of reboots and remakes and massively late sequels. It's not impossible, just really unlikely.
Quick! Shoot the idea down like King Kong before Hollywood can get it. : p

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Guess I'm in the minority that wouldn't mind an expansion of that world understandable.