King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Post by SpiderZilla »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:42 am Guess I'm in the minority that wouldn't mind an expansion of that world understandable.
To be honest I’ve always wondered about the story behind the map that led Carl Denham to Skull Island. Who drew it? How did those people find the island before the map existed? What happened to them on the island? How did they escape?

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:30 am Any else think they're gonna continue Peter Jackson's King Kong lore someday.
I still wish I could remember where I saw the thing that said one of Jackson's future film projects was to make King Kong vs. Frankenstein into an actual film at long last, both as a sequel to his 2005 version of King Kong and as a tribute to Willis O'Brien.
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:30 am Any else think they're gonna continue Peter Jackson's King Kong lore someday.
They absolutely could. I'm imagining two films much like what that April Fools joke was during 2005 when PJ convinced everyone they were making Son of Kong and a third film called Into The Wolf's Lair. They really COULD make something like those two films as a perfect trilogy. I'd imagine two films more along the lines of the original 1996 script, where it very much had a The Mummy (1999) feeling. With how grim everything seems to be nowadays, I would love to see a more lighthearted take on these films. And no, not in a MCU jokey "uhhhh... you guys miiight wanna take a look at this" way. I'm talking about capturing those late 90s early 2000s vibes that made some of these films so great to watch! Something with depth yet doesn't take itself too seriously. With the right creative team, they can absolutely make something incredible!
Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

SpiderZilla wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:01 am
DynomikeGojira wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:42 am Guess I'm in the minority that wouldn't mind an expansion of that world understandable.
To be honest I’ve always wondered about the story behind the map that led Carl Denham to Skull Island. Who drew it? How did those people find the island before the map existed? What happened to them on the island? How did they escape?
I can see a movie in that.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

KingKong2005 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:40 pm
They absolutely could. I'm imagining two films much like what that April Fools joke was during 2005 when PJ convinced everyone they were making Son of Kong and a third film called Into The Wolf's Lair. They really COULD make something like those two films as a perfect trilogy. I'd imagine two films more along the lines of the original 1996 script, where it very much had a The Mummy (1999) feeling. With how grim everything seems to be nowadays, I would love to see a more lighthearted take on these films. And no, not in a MCU jokey "uhhhh... you guys miiight wanna take a look at this" way. I'm talking about capturing those late 90s early 2000s vibes that made some of these films so great to watch! Something with depth yet doesn't take itself too seriously. With the right creative team, they can absolutely make something incredible!
I'd actually love see those as well as a prequel about Kong

Added in 1 minute 48 seconds:
mikelcho wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:56 am
I still wish I could remember where I saw the thing that said one of Jackson's future film projects was to make King Kong vs. Frankenstein into an actual film at long last, both as a sequel to his 2005 version of King Kong and as a tribute to Willis O'Brien.
I've heard of it before I've always assumed it was just a rumor but would have loved to see that.

Added in 1 minute 39 seconds:
edgaguirus wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:01 pm
Agreed a prequel is my personal preference for more PJ King Kong.

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

Here’s a “What If?” prompt: what non-primate animal could you see being used in place of King Kong?

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

ArtMaker wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:19 am Here’s a “What If?” prompt: what non-primate animal could you see being used in place of King Kong?
I would pick...
* Ground Sloths and Chalicotheres. Both have the build of long arms and short legs like gorillas and are vaguely similar enough to slot in, with the bonus of huge claws. 1949's cUnknown Island did something like it.
* Bears.
* Certain marsupials (kangaroos, Palorchestes, drop bears)
* Ornithopod dinosaurs like Iguanodon/Therizinosaur dinosaurs.

basically, any big anmal that can basically has long arms that it uses to reach food while parking their ass in one spot, just as apes do.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

If this tweet is to be believed, it's all but confirmed:

https://mobile.twitter.com/DISCUSSlNGFl ... _8n58sAAAA

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Yeah I don't really trust them as a reliable source anymore

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Well considering that's a fake account, you probably shouldn't in this case.

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

A few old fan arts of mine. Nothing too grand, just some sketches. Mostly of the Broadway interpretation.

https://www.deviantart.com/artmakerprod ... -938085746

https://www.deviantart.com/artmakerprod ... -938085749
Last edited by ArtMaker on Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

chalicotherium kong is an amazing idea

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:55 am
KingKong2005 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:40 pm
I'd actually love see those as well as a prequel about Kong

Added in 1 minute 48 seconds:
mikelcho wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:56 am
I've heard of it before I've always assumed it was just a rumor but would have loved to see that.

Added in 1 minute 39 seconds:
edgaguirus wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:01 pm

Agreed a prequel is my personal preference for more PJ King Kong.
Really? You heard of it? Where did you find it? Do you have a source for it you can put up here? Oh, I'd love to see if I was right at long last!

Added in 5 minutes 9 seconds:
As far as a prequel is concerned, have you read the paperback novel King Kong: The Island of the Skull? Maybe that's what you're looking for.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

Any head canons on how a great ape, (a Cenozoic animal), of all things ended up on a isolated island heavily inhabited by prehistoric creatures (dinosaurs and other reptiles) of the Mesozoic era?

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

ArtMaker wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:16 pm Any head canons on how a great ape, (a Cenozoic animal), of all things ended up on a isolated island heavily inhabited by prehistoric creatures (dinosaurs and other reptiles) of the Mesozoic era?
Both the Joe DeVito lore and Peter Jackson lore state that Kong's species were recent arrivals to Skull Island

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:20 pm
ArtMaker wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:16 pm Any head canons on how a great ape, (a Cenozoic animal), of all things ended up on a isolated island heavily inhabited by prehistoric creatures (dinosaurs and other reptiles) of the Mesozoic era?
Both the Joe DeVito lore and Peter Jackson lore state that Kong's species were recent arrivals to Skull Island
I get that, what I mean is the circumstances of that occurrence.
Last edited by ArtMaker on Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

ArtMaker wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:03 pm
DynomikeGojira wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:20 pm
I get that, what I mean is the circumstances of that occurrence.
They arrived with the first Skull Island natives

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Based on G vs K, it appears Kong's race lived in the hollow Earth. For whatever reason, they left their home and took the tunnels up to Skull Island. That's my theory, but I haven't read any novelizations of K:SI.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

Hmmm, 🤔 It appears that I should rephrase my question on what I meant:

What are some fun ideas of your own, ignoring any outside/canon sources, of how Kong’s species (and possibly other mammalian/other Cenozoic life) got to the island? As for which version, I’d say it be the non-monsterverse ones. Instead, focus on the original’33 films, and Jackson’s. It can even be just on the general mythos of Skull Island overall, not tied to any film. Hopefully this cleared things up.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I understand.

There was a large extinct ape called Gigantopithicus. It's possible that G. Pithicus is the small fry of a species of large apes that once lived. These apes went smaller because of natural changes in the rest of the world, but they retained their large size on Skull Island in order to compete with and survive therapod dinosaurs.