King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Post by Al Diplodocus »

ArtMaker wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:33 pm Here’s a fun question: What other species of apes/monkeys (or possibly non-primate/ape-like animals) would you consider as a influence/inspiration for Kong if you were in charge of a reinterpretation? We’ve seen orangutans, chimps, gorillas 🦍 and varying combos of traits of the aforementioned three that a majority of other creators have whipped up. Anything to add?
I'd go with lemurs, to go with the lost world idea of Skull Island (lemurs are more basal then other primates), like the extinct Archaeoindris. One idea was making him a giant Aye-Aye, with a huge skewering finger that unfolds from a spiral shape.

Another posibility is mandrills.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I don’t know if any of you guys remember my interpretation I drew up many pages back. But Mandrill/Orangutan/Gorilla with an emphasis on the first two would still be the preference. The intelligence of the Orangutan and the viciousness from the Mandrill with the strength of a Gorilla seems unmatched. I do still plan on writing that Arctic Skull Island story.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:34 pm I don’t know if any of you guys remember my interpretation I drew up many pages back. But Mandrill/Orangutan/Gorilla with an emphasis on the first two would still be the preference. The intelligence of the Orangutan and the viciousness from the Mandrill with the strength of a Gorilla seems unmatched. I do still plan on writing that Arctic Skull Island story.
I’m intrigued by that concept. I definitely wanna see an Orangutan-smart King Kong set in that kind of skull island.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

A lemur Kong and Madagascar inspired skull island would be interesting, for sure.

What of a Neanderthal or other primitive humanoid Kong? I recall that man-ape idea being considered for the original and that unmade Universal film from the 70s.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Tbh, Kong being anything other than a humanoid gorilla titan wouldn't really work. Going with The Legend of King Kong more human-than-ape design is just outright unappealing, and him being more of an Orangutan just looks really weird. King Kong being a humanoid ape works super well and shouldn't really be changed. Legendary's Kong is pretty much the perfect design. The Boom Comics Kong of Skull Island designs are great, save for the hairy eyebrows and weird hairlines. 2005 being purely a gorilla even worked, but that took a lot of the mystique away from the character as he's just a large gorilla rather than the 33 version which constantly switched from biped to quadruped and had more of a humanoid build.

I REALLY wish we got the 1996 King Kong. If it was even a fraction of what The Mummy was, it would have been a perfect film! There's a lot of creative designs for Kong from that concept art and he felt pretty royal/elegant.
Image Image

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

ArtMaker wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:33 pm Here’s a fun question: What other species of apes/monkeys (or possibly non-primate/ape-like animals) would you consider as a influence/inspiration for Kong if you were in charge of a reinterpretation? We’ve seen orangutans, chimps, gorillas 🦍 and varying combos of traits of the aforementioned three that a majority of other creators have whipped up. Anything to add?
Basing a version of Kong on Siamangs could be an interesting choice. Or if you wanted to go wildly different, a Mandrill or Baboon type of design could be really cool looking!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Pkmatrix wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:16 am
Basing a version of Kong on Siamangs could be an interesting choice. Or if you wanted to go wildly different, a Mandrill or Baboon type of design could be really cool looking!
How about a Siamang body with a Baboon jaw?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

If you had to pick out a modern non-extinct lemur species to use as inspiration for a King Kong design, which would you pick?

Added in 24 minutes 12 seconds:
Whatever, here’s a quick sketch I made of Kong, this one lifting inspiration from Baboons and the extinct Archaeoindris.

https://www.deviantart.com/artmakerprod ... -945506922

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Why not have him be a giant gibbon?

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

Wait, has Kong ever resembled an orangutan? I feel like most interpretations have more or less stuck with making him either a humanoid gorilla or an actual gorilla.

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

Garzon wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:18 pm
Wait, has Kong ever resembled an orangutan? I feel like most interpretations have more or less stuck with making him either a humanoid gorilla or an actual gorilla.
Other than in fan redesigns online inspired by the live action Jungle Book remake in 2016, no.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Page 42 shows fan art that does a good job depicting Kong as an Orangutan.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Has there been any more word on Kong ‘33 getting a 4K release this year? I thought it was rumored but would love to know if it’s officially confirmed yet or when the disc might actually come out.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

ArtMaker wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:42 pm If you had to pick out a modern non-extinct lemur species to use as inspiration for a King Kong design, which would you pick?

Whatever, here’s a quick sketch I made of Kong, this one lifting inspiration from Baboons and the extinct Archaeoindris.

You're such a talented drawer! I love the idea of Kong having a longer snout. 62 Kong was definitely ugly but the inspiration it took from a Japanese Macaque was a cool choice! His face has so much definition and if you ever see it from silhouette view it's instantly recognizable.

Your sketch definitely gives me those 62 vibes!
Image Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

canofhumdingers wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:28 pm Has there been any more word on Kong ‘33 getting a 4K release this year? I thought it was rumored but would love to know if it’s officially confirmed yet or when the disc might actually come out.
Nada. Think that rumor was wishful thinking on our part that Criterion might put it out.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

KingKong2005 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:42 pm
ArtMaker wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:42 pm If you had to pick out a modern non-extinct lemur species to use as inspiration for a King Kong design, which would you pick?

You're such a talented drawer! I love the idea of Kong having a longer snout. 62 Kong was definitely ugly but the inspiration it took from a Japanese Macaque was a cool choice! His face has so much definition and if you ever see it from silhouette view it's instantly recognizable.

Your sketch definitely gives me those 62 vibes!
Thanks!

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

Not necessarily King Kong, but the inspiration is there. I bring this up as it loosely ties into the topic of “alternate animals to represent Kong” we’ve had. Perhaps a relic of the Permian/Triassic that’s survived into modern day?

https://www.deviantart.com/r-heinart/ar ... -693369534

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

ArtMaker wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:24 pm Not necessarily King Kong, but the inspiration is there. I bring this up as it loosely ties into the topic of “alternate animals to represent Kong” we’ve had. Perhaps a relic of the Permian/Triassic that’s survived into modern day?

That’s probably the most disturbing Kong I’ve ever seen. Good work!

He reminds me of Fluffy the Crate Beast from Creepshow.

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

SpiderZilla wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:54 pm
ArtMaker wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:24 pm Not necessarily King Kong, but the inspiration is there. I bring this up as it loosely ties into the topic of “alternate animals to represent Kong” we’ve had. Perhaps a relic of the Permian/Triassic that’s survived into modern day?

That’s probably the most disturbing Kong I’ve ever seen. Good work!

He reminds me of Fluffy the Crate Beast from Creepshow.
Crap, btw folks that’s NOT my art (this time), I’m just showing the find.