Talkback: Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
godjacob
Futurian

Re: Talkback: Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)

Post by godjacob »

Emmy's whole heel/face turn was handled...questionably, mistranslations aside. The fact that Emmy honestly believed that these guys would go to the trouble of making King Ghidorah but not actually use it keeping it as a bluff makes her come off as a moron rather than sympathetic.

It would've been better if Emmy believed their mission was just to remove Godzilla, and like another user said have M11 be the one to release the Dorats so the shock of King Ghidorah's arrival feels more of a surprise to her. So it feels like well an actual betrayal.
Last edited by godjacob on Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

I have a lot of nostalgia for this movie because it was the first 'real' godzilla movie i watched.
The scene where godzilla makes landfall afyer being revived is burned into my mind
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

godjacob wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:06 pm Emmy's whole heel/face turn was handled...questionably, mistranslations aside. The fact that Emmy honestly believed that these guys would go to the trouble of making King Ghidorah but not actually use it keeping it as a bluff makes her come off as a moron rather than sympathetic.

It would've been better if Emmy believed their mission was just to remove Godzilla, and like another user said have M11 be the one to release the Dorats so the shock of King Ghidorah's arrival feels more of a surprise to her. So it feels like well an actual betrayal.
"Questionably."

More like downright terribly, as with a lot of things in this movie.
Last edited by ShinGojira14 on Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Just rewatched the film probably for the 100th time. The movie has a lotnof nostalgia for me as one of the first Heisei movies I ever saw after Godzilla 1985. Back then, the movie both fascinated and scared me. Godzilla was incredibly mean looking in this movie and his personality also always seemed very angry. Couple that with Ifukube's remastered Godzilla March and it definitely made me dread seeing the end credits when Godzilla suddenly jumps up and roars in defiance to defeat.

Over the years, the movie faded a bit from my psyche along with the rest of the Heisei as I began to embrace the Showa era a bit more. In preparation of King of the Monsters, I finally seriously sat down and rewatched the movie years later, also for the first time in its original Japanese track. Watching the movie without the dub helped me see this film and the rest of the Heisei films in a new light now that I no longer had to be distracted by poor dubbing. After my marathon, I dubbed this movie among the top 15 Godzilla films in my opinion.

Three years since I last watched and how does it hold up? Still pretty well. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah is probably my personal favorite Heisei film aside from maybe 84 and Spacegodzilla. The characters for me have always been memorable and it is not often in a Godzilla film I remember the names of multiple characters. The timeline still gets puzzling but now with the subtitles, it basically proved my hunch that Godzilla's birth was inevitable and the best the Futurians could do was damage control. The fights and effects are still impressive for the most part and I appreciate that this film brings some physicality to the battles which many other Heisei fights lack. Some shots of the monsters still bring me to awe like King Ghidorah hovering over the city right at the camera or Godzilla emerging from the water.

The film definitely foreshadows some of the pain points of later Heisei films but still holds onto some of the good attributes from the first two Heisei films. A combination of both the new and the familiar is probably why this film always holds a place in my heart. Definitely will always be a favorite of mine and one I would recommend to new fans as well.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:36 pm The timeline still gets puzzling but now with the subtitles, it basically proved my hunch that Godzilla's birth was inevitable and the best the Futurians could do was damage control.
Yeah, the inevitability of Godzilla is a really important aspect of the movie that I don't think the dub really conveys well at all.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Could this be a low key statement on nuclear proliferation? Saying that it's inevitable that Godzilla will be born implies that there's nowhere in the world safe from nuclear weapons or the effects of them.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

edgaguirus wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:55 pm Could this be a low key statement on nuclear proliferation? Saying that it's inevitable that Godzilla will be born implies that there's nowhere in the world safe from nuclear weapons or the effects of them.
Yes, I think that's intended.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

eabaker wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:07 pm
edgaguirus wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:55 pm Could this be a low key statement on nuclear proliferation? Saying that it's inevitable that Godzilla will be born implies that there's nowhere in the world safe from nuclear weapons or the effects of them.
Yes, I think that's intended.
Yea in the Japanese version with subs the Futurians literally say that the 90s were full of nuclear energy and weapons, so they weren't taken aback when they saw that Godzilla was stronger.

I think in terms of a theme/message in the movie, the inevitability of Godzilla still being around was a major point. For the Futurians, I guess the goal was to either control the future by having a force they could control (King Ghidorah) and ensure Japan would not be dominate in the future world.

Listened to a podcast in Spotify about this movie (Kaijuvision) that frames the movie in the perspective of a Japanese audience that was experiencing economic success for a long time. I am also sure that the movie being made 50 years after Pearl Harbor could have also had an impact on writing in a pro-Japanese military angle to this movie too.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

One common complaint I hear is that Emi Kano and Terasawa got a little flirty despite both being related. Would've it helped instead if let's say Emi gave her ancestor relationship advice to help him get together with that other woman?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

They likely did at the end. As Emi left, she came right up to Terasawa's side.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

edgaguirus wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:13 pm They likely did at the end. As Emi left, she came right up to Terasawa's side.
Yeah, and there's a few lines of banter on them getting married early on. That woman was definitely Terasawa's girlfriend/friend, and it's pretty explicit early on that if Terasawa was more sucuessful they'd get married. She dissapears in the narrative mostly, but the film isn't about her or Terasawa's love life. It's a moment to showcase that Terasawa is a mildly popular writer, with motivation to do better and better.

While I suppose it's gross if Terasawa got too touchy with Emi, it's important to remember that's not what happened. At most, he got mildly chummy and smiliy with a complete stranger from the future who helped save Japan who he had no way of knowing was related to him.

The idea of Emi X Terasawa is a non-issue blown out of proportiom.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I think people are misremembering the dub dialogue/taking the dub's dialogue too seriously. Emi and Teresawa never really had moments of romantic interaction and the infamous "I like [this point in time] only because you're here!" dub line is (to my memory) actually supposed to be more along the lines of "I like this period in history because good people like you are here" which isn't romantic at all.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Why does Godzillasaurus roar like Gamera?

How did they get away with the rights issue?

Is Gamera's roar just stock?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It could be. I remember an old cartoon called Thundercats. In one episode, there's a dragon that has Gamera's roar. The animation was done by a Japanese company.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:29 pm Why does Godzillasaurus roar like Gamera?

How did they get away with the rights issue?

Is Gamera's roar just stock?
You may want to listen to his roars again. They're really plainly modified Rodan or Godzilla roars. Unless there were some Gamera sounds mixed in that I didn't catch, anyway; I didn't rewatch the whole scene.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

...when the Godzillsairus is being blasted by the ship's cannons he's clearly screaming like Gamera. You don't hear that?

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Yeah that was absolutely Gamera’s roar he made while being bombarded on the beach. Not even edited weirdly enough.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It sounds like Gamera at 1:55 or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XXyBr_xtZl

It says the video is no longer available, so just look up Godzillasaurus attacks.
Last edited by edgaguirus on Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

It was Toho's way of "Take that, you turtle!"

Then years later when distributing Heisei Gamera they'd go "Yes, more please you turtle!".
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Yup, I stand corrected. I'd only listened to part of a compilation of Godzillasaurus roars the first time, so this is what I get. :P
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio