Godzilla 2000: Japanese Cut

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
tymon
Futurian

Godzilla 2000: Japanese Cut

Post by tymon »

This thread is for discussing the Japanese version (and, by extension, the changes/edits made to the US version).

FINALLY got to watch this after grabbing a great bootleg (PM me if you want the source). I've always loved the US version, despite its blatant flaws. This, on the other hand, was one of the dullest Godzilla movies I've ever seen. It's a shining example of how important sound/music can be in film...in this case, it makes all the difference. Sound controls the image...

Things that were epic about the US version just simply aren't in this version - it's like some shitty fan edit or something. Scenes feel empty due to the lack of music, or music that doesn't fit at all. It seems that Hattori's idea of an action sequence is either playing it dry, or taking the same two themes and repeating them over and over and over. Seriously, I think the final battle is comprised of only two themes, or variations of those two, and neither are the type of tracks that get the blood pumping in excitement - in fact, they become excruciating after a certain point. The parts with no music at all are even more aggravating, seeing how the sound effects are shit and aren't enough to fill up the speakers. Explosions, crashing buildings, roars and beams (especially the UFO's beam) all sound really cheap and lifeless.

Thankfully, the US crew did an amazing job of taking these boring-ass sequences and injecting some much-needed adrenaline into them. Hundreds of sound effects are added, and the additional music by J Peter Robinson really energizes the monster action. Watching the Japanese version made me realize how mediocre Hattori's overall score is, and gave me even more admiration for JPR's work.

Also, the pacing is very odd. Much of this problem carries over to the US version, but they did manage to tighten things up a bit by cutting/editing certain scenes, making the whole thing more watchable.

However, there are a couple cool shots of Godzilla they easily could have kept in, and a couple really shitty shots they should have cut out (especially the part when he reaches the beach, with that hideous green-screen..ughhh). And the whole "OMG Shinoda's in the building that's about to explode!" sequence could have been cut to no consequence to the movie, and should have IMO. Hate that part.

The excellent work the US crew did makes me wonder what it would be like if other modern G-films received a similar treatment. Lord knows most of the Heisei films have some really bad sound design...

Overall, the Japanese version was even more disappointing than expected. I can see why even Toho prefers using the US cut. Thoughts?
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Godzilla 2000: Millennium (1999)

Post by MDK »

You know, the title sequance is really crappy.
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

i have the same bootleg, suprised sequencing was different, no wonder the us release subs didn't sync

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

junkerde wrote:suprised sequencing was different, no wonder the us release subs didn't sync
Tokyo Monsters' subtitle files for the film are still archived, if you are still having trouble.
http://web.archive.org/web/200510240049 ... titles.php

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I thought it was relatively common knowledge that the U.S. version was substantially edited. Of course the R1 subs wouldn't sync up..
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

Space Hunter M wrote:
junkerde wrote:suprised sequencing was different, no wonder the us release subs didn't sync
Tokyo Monsters' subtitle files for the film are still archived, if you are still having trouble.
http://web.archive.org/web/200510240049 ... titles.php
No I have it already, I found it the sequencing was off then found the right subs, thanks though. And I remember tokyomonsters, awesome place, I also use the web archiver to grab some subtitles from time to time if I cant find the right ones

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

I find Godzilla 2000 to be one of the lesser Godzilla films. I think the US edit did a lot to make the film much more enjoyable than the original product, but you can still only do so much.

I'd say it's one of the few instances where there is no debate at all over which version is better compared to the original Japanese, as the added music, tighter pace and vastly improved sound effects and surround sound make this version a clear winner.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Godzilla 2000: Japanese Cut

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

From what I can understand, Orga's roar in the US version of G2K was changed from his original roar in the Japanese cut... so, what did his original roar sound like? Is it the one that appears in all the games?
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:From what I can understand, Orga's roar in the US version of G2K was changed from his original roar in the Japanese cut... so, what did his original roar sound like? Is it the one that appears in all the games?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YmmYQRnZII

Thats his Japanese roar.
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

I was about to say the first two sounded kinda like Destroyah, then I read the description :lol:

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Gawdziller wrote:I completely understand the OP. For years I've watched the American cut and thought G2K was a wild ride and was one of my favorites. Then I saw the Japanese version and found out all the virtues of the film were added to it by TriStar. I'm amazed just how different the two cuts feel, even if the product is essentially the same.

No matter the case, I'm keeping the dub. It's far more entertaining.
Nothing can beat Katagiri screaming. 8-)
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

For those who haven't seen the Japanese cut (like me), I at least found the Japanese version of Godzilla and Orga's fight. For those who don't like bootlegs, you may compare the final fight as you will. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfsr6b ... UBXMjmQzdk

After watching this... yeah... the US version is better.

And why does Orga have Cretaceous Ghidorah's roar?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Handsome Jack
G-Force Personnel

Post by Handsome Jack »

I don't know why I thought the Japanese roar sounded like a pokemon.
What’s that saying? Don’t pick a fight with a man with nothing left to lose? I’m going to show you just how much you have left to lose.

Where the hell is -- I had a violin somewhere, I was gonna play it all sarcastically --goddammit, I saw it like a day ago. Blake! Violin!

You are a bandit AND I AM THE GODDAMN HERO!

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Kaiju-King42 wrote:For those who haven't seen the Japanese cut (like me), I at least found the Japanese version of Godzilla and Orga's fight. For those who don't like bootlegs, you may compare the final fight as you will. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfsr6b ... UBXMjmQzdk

Other than the roar, what's different

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I've actually been struggling with which cut of this film to show to my fiancee when we reach it in our chronological viewing. So far, I have only shown her original-language versions of everything except Mothra (not intentionally, but we went to a screening of this one which was supposed to use a 35mm subbed print, and the print ended up not having subs, so the theater showed the dubbed DVD on the big screen instead).

The American cut really is preferable (and this is the only kaiju movie about which I'll make that statement), and at this point even seems to be Toho's preferred version of the movie, but it is not the movie in its pure form.

So, I find myself in a quandry...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:For those who haven't seen the Japanese cut (like me), I at least found the Japanese version of Godzilla and Orga's fight. For those who don't like bootlegs, you may compare the final fight as you will. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfsr6b ... UBXMjmQzdk

Definitely agree. The US Cut is way better. There were hardly any sound effects and the music doesn't really fit. (Orga's appearance is a good example of this)
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

eabaker wrote:The American cut really is preferable (and this is the only kaiju movie about which I'll make that statement), and at this point even seems to be Toho's preferred version of the movie, but it is not the movie in its pure form.

American cut gets my vote for showing her one or the other. I rank the Japanese cut of G2K as one of the lesser Godzilla films, while the American cut is much higher on my list. Pacing is just so much better, which makes all the difference for this production.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Arbok wrote:
eabaker wrote:The American cut really is preferable (and this is the only kaiju movie about which I'll make that statement), and at this point even seems to be Toho's preferred version of the movie, but it is not the movie in its pure form.

American cut gets my vote for showing her one or the other. I rank the Japanese cut of G2K as one of the lesser Godzilla films, while the American cut is much higher on my list. Pacing is just so much better, which makes all the difference for this production.
Thanks for the feedback. That's the way I'm leaning, too. As much as I want to give her a "pure" experience her first time through, the ultimate aim is for her to like to movie, and the American cut makes that a far more probable outcome.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

eabaker wrote: (not intentionally, but we went to a screening of this one which was supposed to use a 35mm subbed print, and the print ended up not having subs, so the theater showed the dubbed DVD on the big screen instead).
Lame sauce :(
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Jory
Monarch Researcher

Post by Jory »

Godzilla 2000 is my favorite of the Millennium series, and I always got curious whenever I heard about the original Japanese cut being worse. I once came close to buying an import Video CD to see for myself, but I held off. I still haven't seen it in its entirety, but after watching the final battle scene that was uploaded to Daily Motion, I'm getting an idea of what everyone means. It's all so unbearably bland and lifeless, and the choice of music sometimes feels hilariously inappropriate. It feels like a first rough cut, not a final product. It's amazing what a little editing and reworking of the sound effects and music can do.

Godzilla vs. Megaguirus also suffers from these problems; scenes that drag on for too long, awkward editing, music that's either inappropriate or lacking entirely. It's too bad the movie wasn't released in American theatres so Mike Schlesinger could have cleaned it up the way he and his team cleaned up Godzilla 2000. I'm glad the filmmakers got their shit together for the remaining four films of the series, because I wouldn't like them nearly as much as I do if they had been put together as clumsily as the first two.