The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Excelsior
GPN Volunteer

Re: The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Post by Excelsior »

G14 becomes more interesting if you remove the human element and just take in what's happening on screen. Then it becomes a story about the last two members of an extinct species trying to start over but being haranged by an ancient terror bent on killing them.

The movie has a tense atmosphere that suits its story. That's its strongest suit. Many of the scenes are framed in exciting ways, but the narrative isn't strong enough to support the style.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:18 am With singular point getting near unanimous praise despite having like 3 minutes of screentime for Godzilla, I never, ever wanna hear someone complain about the lack of Godzilla screentime in this movie or any other
Is it getting unanimous praise? From what I see on social media it seems to be mixed.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

Godzilla21 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:06 am
gottatalktothefake wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:18 am With singular point getting near unanimous praise despite having like 3 minutes of screentime for Godzilla, I never, ever wanna hear someone complain about the lack of Godzilla screentime in this movie or any other
Is it getting unanimous praise? From what I see on social media it seems to be mixed.
I was about to say the same thing lmao. It's mixed at best. Definitely not getting praise across the board.

I personally wasn't a fan of it, although it had It's moments where it could be fun.

I'll take G14 & the the rest of the MonsterVerse films over SP any day.
Last edited by dillonking55 on Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mechabrozilla
Ronin

Post by Mechabrozilla »

dillonking55 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:01 pm I was about to say the same thing lmao. It's mixed at best. Definitely not getting praise across the board.

I personally wasn't a fan of it, although it had It's moments where it could be fun.

I personally view it the same way as I do the Earth trilogy. Does it have some really cool ideas and designs? Absolutely, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with it. Do I like it as a whole? Not really. Its fun for a watch but it feels more like a 'grab bag' than anything cohesive.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

dillonking55 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:01 pm
I was about to say the same thing lmao. It's mixed at best. Definitely not getting praise across the board.

I have only seen the first 15 minutes of episode 1. I need to jump in. I'm loving the arguements I'm seeing about it. "If you don't understand it you're just not smart enough."
SpaceG92 wrote:

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Everywhere I go you literally aren’t allowed to say anything bad about it
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:34 pm Everywhere I go you literally aren’t allowed to say anything bad about it
Granted, i have no idea which parts of the internet you head off to, but saying SP got unanimous praise certainly isn't what i've seen.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Gigantis wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:58 pm
gottatalktothefake wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:34 pm Everywhere I go you literally aren’t allowed to say anything bad about it
Granted, i have no idea which parts of the internet you head off to, but saying SP got unanimous praise certainly isn't what i've seen.
I’m mostly talking Reddit (which the honeymoon phase seems to finally be wearing off, thank god) where you couldn’t say anything remotely negative without being destroyed. And /m/, which has convinced itself that everyone who doesn’t love SP is a single troll. I got banned for “spamming” after posting one negative thing about it on there offhandedly.

And of course there is the incident that happened here on TK but the less said about that the better.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

This thread is about Godzilla (2014), not Godzilla: Singular Point. :P

I don't think I've seen anyone complain about Godzilla's lack of screen time in G14 recently. I think when G14 came out, people probably complained a bit more about lack of screen time because this was the first time Godzilla was in a film in ten years. Understandably, people wanted to see more of Godzilla, but I don't think that detracts from the film itself. A bigger issue for me, is that Godzilla is just there, and other than being the monster that just shows up to beat the MUTO's doesn't have any actual impact on the plot or narrative. Admittedly that's harder to do with a heroic Godzilla, but the narrative's catalysts are nuclear energy and the MUTOs, not Godzilla. Then add that to the relatively bland focus of the Ford family, and you've got a very justifiable reason of why people feel Godzilla could have had a bigger impact. I'm fine with it, and I retain that it's a straw man to say that people hate this film or don't like it solely for that.

Tonight, in preparation of watching Godzilla vs. Kong in theaters, I'm going to watch Godzilla 2014 again with my wife. I'm looking forward to it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

MrRockett wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:46 am It’s all pro wrestling storylines. You can take two baby faces a s give them a common reason to battle, the concept then becomes how to put over both combatants. Last thing you want is to bury one because it will weaken the view of the other. Throw in another major heel that will require the collective fight of both of the faces to overcome or the outcome would be catastrophic even if they themselves die or nearly die in the process can be a story told well.
Godzilla and Kong would naturally fight for supremacy, nobody has to be a bad guy. Make the consequences dire for the humans if the bad guy wins creates the human tension...Godzilla and Kong do not have to “do it for the people” but the outcome of their actions save mankind and gives the human race the impetus to coexist like the overarching theme set by Dr Serizawa set in motion which is to coexist with Titans.
Speaking of pro wrestling I always felt the Monsterverse handling of the monsters is the equivalent of WWE booking indie and foriegn stars poorly.

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:26 pmTonight, in preparation of watching Godzilla vs. Kong in theaters, I'm going to watch Godzilla 2014 again with my wife. I'm looking forward to it.
How has the overall public reception been for GvK in Japan? I'm also curious what kind of marketing push it got over there. I'd love to hear about it.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

AtomicMorningBreath wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:34 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:26 pmTonight, in preparation of watching Godzilla vs. Kong in theaters, I'm going to watch Godzilla 2014 again with my wife. I'm looking forward to it.
How has the overall public reception been for GvK in Japan? I'm also curious what kind of marketing push it got over there. I'd love to hear about it.
I'm surprised Mr. Japan hasn't replied to this yet! I'm not sure the critical reception but the box office has been decent.
SpaceG92 wrote:

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

AtomicMorningBreath wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:34 pm
From what I’ve been hearing and reading (Japanese movie review sites and Japanese twitter) they seem to really enjoy it

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I’ve had some serious whiplash over the years with this film. I think myself and others were a bit upset with how little Godzilla played a role in the overall narrative, but in a post Shin-Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Kong world, I can appreciate the film a lot more.

Mainly I just appreciate how good the film looks. The cinematography is on point throughout, and there’s a real sense that the world of Godzilla 2014 is a real and lived in world. Thanks to Garett Edward’s sense of scale, we also really get a good idea of how big these monsters are and feel them. Unfortunately this is something the sequels lose, but it makes this one really unique. And while the cutting away is annoying, I also have come to respect that was mostly see the monster action specifically from human POVs, further adding a layer of scale to the monsters.

Unlike both of the sequels, I’ve also grown to respect how unique all the set pieces are for the genre. We start the film with a nuclear meltdown. Then later, the Muto escapes, and we see it bend and crush all the wires and towers around it, before flying off. We get the tsunami sequence, the the scene with the Muto in Hawaii, before learning about the female Muto, and seeing her destruction. Then there’s the train sequence, offering quiet horror and then the big fight in SF. The film has a lot of varied action, and despite taking place in contemporary America, showcases a lot of different environments.

I know I’m beating a dead horse here, but the worst part of the film is Ford. Thankfully, he’s not obnoxious, and there are brief moments of characterization, that while cliche, give him some heart; such as when he saves the little boy on the train (before the Muto attacks).

I love the MUTOs, and I think while perhaps at the time everyone wanted to see other older monsters, I’m really happy we got them. They’re a nice addition to the roster.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

Anyone else noticing that people are going back and giving “Godzilla (2014” a lot of love now?
Warms my heart even though it should’ve been done years ago. :lol:

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:10 pm Anyone else noticing that people are going back and giving “Godzilla (2014” a lot of love now?
Warms my heart even though it should’ve been done years ago. :lol:
Seem the same to me and I think everyone's opinions on it are valid but yes I consider it the most well made film in the MV as far as tone and cinematography are concerned. Would have been much better if Godzilla was more of a focus.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Godzilla 2014 is to me, imperfect, but still really damn good. I honestly never got too bent out of shape about Cranston not being the lead for the whole film or ATJ's acting. Frankly I rather enjoyed the human cast, for among other things *not* having borderline superhuman protagonists. Almost all of the action, disaster, and spy films in recent years have characters constantly shrugging off things that should have killed or injured them without fuss, always have the exact right skills for the occasion; and can always score those 1 in a 1,000,000 luck to win. Hyperbole, I know, but I think you can see my point. The fact we got a cast who are decidedly *not* superhuman and yet still come off as competent, is something I'm quite keen on.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

I get a lot of the criticism this movie gets, but I really love it and find myself enamored with it every time I watch. I think it’s the atmosphere and sound design

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:43 pm I get a lot of the criticism this movie gets, but I really love it and find myself enamored with it every time I watch. I think it’s the atmosphere and sound design
One thing that the Godzilla series has always nailed, throughout incarnations and different takes is sound design. I agree though that G14 is an exceptional example. As I'm typing this I can distinctly remember all the clings and clangs of the electronic net being pulled apart when the male Muto escapes.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

G2014 also is a good example to me about how anything in the franchise can spawn a new fan. Watch interviews Gareth Edwards gave or special features talks. You can see the man's eyes just light up and he smiles honestly. Is he a super-fan? No. But the man is clearly have a good time both with the source material as it stood and doing his own spin on it. Really endearing to see.

And the Godzilla incarnation he names as getting him to become a fan, which he watched growing up? The Hanna-Barbera Godzilla Power-Hour.

Just let that sink in. The show that gave us Ted Cassidy voicing Godzilla instead of a musical instrument, an outright heroic Big G with lazer eyes who is basically a superhero in-universe, and Godzooky; is indirectly responsible for Godzilla 2014 (and everything that came after on both sides of the Pacific) being the way it is, or even existing.
Last edited by Desghidorah on Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.