The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Re: The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Post by king_ghidorah »

Great points. It’s interesting that the films with the best perspective on Godzilla are actually my two favorite Godzilla movies and two favorite Godzilla designs for that matter (2014 and Shin)

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I wish they'd release the Takarada scene already.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

The refusal to completely not show anything of that scene at this point is genuinely weird, especially since there’s apparently a report coming up as to why it was cut in the first place. Seems bizarre not to coincide said report with…you know, actually releasing the thing.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Dv-218 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:25 pm The refusal to completely not show anything of that scene at this point is genuinely weird, especially since there’s apparently a report coming up as to why it was cut in the first place. Seems bizarre not to coincide said report with…you know, actually releasing the thing.
It is a curious situation. At this point, what could even be the hold-up?
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

CyberZilla wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:30 pm
Dv-218 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:25 pm The refusal to completely not show anything of that scene at this point is genuinely weird, especially since there’s apparently a report coming up as to why it was cut in the first place. Seems bizarre not to coincide said report with…you know, actually releasing the thing.
I’m guessing Takarada’s family/estate might play a part? I genuinely don’t know, can’t see a viable reason for them to have this caught up in rights issues especially if it’s as brief as was reported.

Either way I’m holding some optimism that we might see it surface eventually in case it wasn’t lost or got its files corrupted. Would definitely be a good excuse for a new home media release of the film…hopefully with the entire lighting duration fixed this time lol.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Can't believe it's been 9 years already. I still remember the leaked photo of that 2012 comic con teaser and everyone losing their shit, speculating what Godzilla's design would be and what the movie would be like.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

Not a refusal, it's just in the vaults at WB. When these home releases are put together, it's done by various people. My guess is that the exclusion is that was just a simple oversight. Haven't stopped trying to track it though.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Chris55 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:28 pm
Not a refusal, it's just in the vaults at WB. When these home releases are put together, it's done by various people. My guess is that the exclusion is that was just a simple oversight. Haven't stopped trying to track it though.
Understandable. Might have just been saved for an “extended cut” that never materialized or alternatively they just forgot about it as you said. Just thought it was weird that after such a long time some variation of the scene wasn’t released to the public. I suppose the wait is on lol.

Also damn….kinda fucky realizing that the movie is a whole 9 years old now. Feels like yesterday when I watched it in the cinema alongside my family. Some memories just burn into your mind forever I guess, Godzilla’s appearance and first usage of the atomic breath in the big screen are certainly such memories.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed May 17, 2023 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

Dv-218 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 5:30 am
Understandable. Might have just been saved for an “extended cut” that never materialized or alternatively they just forgot about it as you said. Just thought it was weird that after such a long time some variation of the scene wasn’t released to the public. I suppose the wait is on lol.

Also damn….kinda fucky realizing that the movie is a whole 9 years old now. Feels like yesterday when I watched it in the cinema alongside my family. Some memories just burn into your mind forever I guess, Godzilla’s appearance and first usage of the atomic breath in the big screen are certainly such memories.
It's not the first oversight really. Mike D had said there would be 20 minutes of deleted scenes on the home release of KOTM, and there was like approx 8. Should there be an extended cut of 2014 or the series as a whole, I'd hope that it's just not slapped together with the same 12 or 13 blown out thumbnails for chapter stops and horrible outdated menus. I'd like something with some real care put into it. Really do a deep dive.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Chris55 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 7:25 am
Dv-218 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 5:30 am

It's not the first oversight really. Mike D had said there would be 20 minutes of deleted scenes on the home release of KOTM, and there was like approx 8. Should there be an extended cut of 2014 or the series as a whole, I'd hope that it's just not slapped together with the same 12 or 13 blown out thumbnails for chapter stops and horrible outdated menus. I'd like something with some real care put into it. Really do a deep dive.
100% agreed here, it should be a proper and in depth look into the production and creative choices.

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

Dv-218 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:42 pm
I’m guessing Takarada’s family/estate might play a part? I genuinely don’t know, can’t see a viable reason for them to have this caught up in rights issues especially if it’s as brief as was reported.
Pretty sure his family wouldn't be the issue here. Didn't they attend G-Fest shortly after his death last year?
Either way, the fault would most likely be Warner Bros. They don't really seem to care. I can't talk about the quality of the HDR version, but on a regular TV the 2014 4K is pretty wank lol.
"Take that you dinosaur!" - Major Spielberg

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

EvaGhidorah01 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:47 pm
Dv-218 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:42 pm

Pretty sure his family wouldn't be the issue here. Didn't they attend G-Fest shortly after his death last year?
Either way, the fault would most likely be Warner Bros. They don't really seem to care. I can't talk about the quality of the HDR version, but on a regular TV the 2014 4K is pretty wank lol.
Yeah lmao…they butchered the domestic port of the film so hard that even with newer releases they can’t fully restore it to theatrical resolution for some reason. Or just don’t want to go through the effort.

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

I don't own it, but I've heard the 3D blu-ray is better looking
"Take that you dinosaur!" - Major Spielberg

GojiraSeeker_2099
Yojimbo

Re: "VERY GROUNDED"=

Post by GojiraSeeker_2099 »

ZillaMaster91 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:52 am I don't mind a more grounded Godzilla movie. When Gareth said that, I had the impression that he was referencing the later Showa films as well as the Heisei films where things did get a bit out of control with space cockroaches, time travel, a human spirit inhabiting a giant mutated plant monster, and etc.

However, I can imagine King Ghidorah being incorporated into a grounded story by being discovered entombed after crashing to Earth thousands of years ago... then again, that's borderline cliche.

Anyways, I guess we'll just have to wait and see what Gareth Edwards truly mean't by that statement.
Eerily spot on in the Ghidorah part. lol

MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

;) I'm not physically capable of going through this monster of a thread, so I don't know if it's been brought up before, but there's an audial effect in this movie that I love. In two scenes, the big reveal in Hawaii and the start of the fight in San Francisco, there's a crowd of people screaming and clamoring as the MUTO wreaks havoc. Then Godzilla enters the shot and all the screaming stops DEAD, the people stunned into silence by his arrival. I'm not sure if there's a better establishing effect in the whole franchise, honestly. The MUTOs inspire terror, Godzilla inspires awe. :godzilla2021:

G.H.B
Interpol Agent

Post by G.H.B »

MC_Lovecraft wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:47 pm ;) I'm not physically capable of going through this monster of a thread, so I don't know if it's been brought up before, but there's an audial effect in this movie that I love. In two scenes, the big reveal in Hawaii and the start of the fight in San Francisco, there's a crowd of people screaming and clamoring as the MUTO wreaks havoc. Then Godzilla enters the shot and all the screaming stops DEAD, the people stunned into silence by his arrival. I'm not sure if there's a better establishing effect in the whole franchise, honestly. The MUTOs inspire terror, Godzilla inspires awe. :godzilla2021:
Yeah for all the faults G14 has, no other MV joint has really recaptured the majesty and awe Godzilla had in this movie.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

In preparation of GXK, I’m rewatching the MV films. Obviously G-14 is first. I still think it’s really solid. It’s really interesting watching this now, in a post GVK/LOM+Minus One world. In some ways, it’s made me appreciate it more, in some ways less.

I’ll preference this by saying I don’t think I’m saying anything groundbreaking here:

I don’t think Brody is a compelling character, nor is his story interesting, but he serves his purpose in the narrative well. He’s clearly a person who the audience is intended to witness and watch the action from. That was the big thing I noticed this watch around. In contrast to the subsequent big spectacles, there is barely a scene that leaves Brody’s immediate vicinity. Shots/moments that do, are quick to show someone else’s POV very clearly. For example, when we see the male Muto in Hawaii, before Godzilla comes ashore, we get the special ops perspective of it. Likewise, even in the final fight, with the exception of a few very specific moments, we follow Brody’s perspective on the ground very closely, or again Elle/another soldier. To me, it feels like a deliberate effort for audiences (specifically American ones) to have someone to latch onto, to view something outlandish, at a time where giant monsters in media weren’t so mainstream. It’s a conservative approach, that I think mostly works.

The positives of this are that the film feels very grounded, and it’s easy as an audience to insert a chaotic element into the mix. We can imagine the MUTO and Godzilla farce ongoing when Brody does the Halo jump. It also adds to a sense of realism, and in better moments, stakes. It makes the film standout from most of the other films in the franchise, because of its tight adherence to this (except for Minus One, which we’ll get to). But, this can also be very frustrating. It’s frustrating to cutaway from the monster action constantly, and I don’t blame subsequent entries from abandoning this approach.

Likewise, it also leads to a lot of moments that feel a little rushed or underwhelming. The movie is filled with great moments of destruction, but a lot of them feel understated, or quick, because they want to maintain that POV. A good example of this is the tsunami (which we see through the little girls POV) or the Las Vegas Muto attack (only briefly seen through the gamblers, firefighters and stenz views). It gives the film a unique style, but again leaves the viewer wishing for more.

It’s not just conservative in how often it shows the monsters, it’s extremely conservative in regards to Godzilla. In a Minus One/GXK world, it’s astounding how basic Godzilla is. Not a complaint, but he really is one of the more simple incarnations, with more dinosaur-like spines and staying in the background of the film. He used his atomic breath twice in the film, and both times are made to be this shocking moment. Again, similar to how Brody is used for a POV, if feels as though they’re trying to make Godzilla and the concept more palatable for American audiences, while keeping faithful to the core concept. We still get some nice monster action, but it’s incredibly simplistic compared to what will follow: basically Godzilla and the MUTOs push and punch each other around, before Godzilla uses his beam and tail, with some help from Brody, to take care of the monsters.

So, overall I have a lot of respect for Garett Edward’s vision, and I still like the film a lot. However, I wish it showed more of Godzilla and embraced some of the tokusatsu/wilder elements more, and I think many at the time, while happy we finally got a new Godzilla film, were feeling at the time, even if we didn’t want to admit it. As much as I liked G14 when I saw it, I couldn’t help but feel/wish we got more beams, more crazy military action, and more lingering focus on the destruction. That’s what we got with Shin Godzilla and KOTM, and I think that’s why people in the Godzilla fandom went ballistic over these two films, with people clearly choosing sides based on personal preferences (shin for me). While G14 was a solid Godzilla movie, it had a lot of successors that did more what Godzilla enthusiasts wanted out of the concept.

That brings us to Minus One. Minus One and G14 are very different films, but also very similar. It’s well documented that Yamazaki took a lot of inspiration from G14. Maybe this’ll be controversial, but I think Minus One did many things G14 attempted better. The entire family angle is handled better, as we get time to learn about these characters. It’s obvious, but Noriko dying was more impactful than Brody dying because we spent more time with her and she died later in the film in a more impactful moment. Likewise, the film maintains the close POV, close to Shikishima as Brody. However, Minus One takes a less is more approach to the action; there’s overall less monster scenes in -1.0, but they linger on the action and gravity of the situation a lot more. G14 felt like it kept introducing and resolving set pieces pretty quick with little care.

Finally, within the context of the MV, including LOM and GXK, Brody is the saving grace. Sorry, but to those nitpickers, I don’t think anything else in the MV contradicts G14 or makes it feel out of place. Because of Brody’s POV, and Stenz being informed of the situation by Serizawa, it’s very believable given what we know about LOM all very easily happening and existing, while allowing G14 to be completely untethered to future installments and continuities. It’s important to remember that when G14 was made the MV didn’t even exist. Legendary has done a remarkable job at making this all feel connected.

To sum up, I think G14 still holds up as a solid Godzilla flick, and has a lot of unique stuff going for it that it does well. Fortunately/unfortunately how you look at it, all subsequent entries would do different things that expanded on what G14 attempted, with the sole exception of Shin Godzilla, which started its own lineage. G14 did what it needed to do well in 2014 in spades though: bring back Godzilla into the modern (American) pop culture, in an era where Godzilla was dead and buried.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Solid write up. I agree with you on everything except while you wanted some different things from it, I embrace it for being more naturalistic and unique. It’s truly a one off entry. Nearly any other film in this franchise gets you the beams and crazy stuff you’re looking for.

This is Godzilla as if depicted partly on a military documentary and partly on animal planet.

I love it precisely because on any gray, rainy day I can imagine Gareth’s Godzilla emerging from the mist to fight MUTOs and it all just fits into the real world perfectly.
Last edited by king_ghidorah on Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:45 am Solid write up. I agree with you on everything except while you wanted some different things from it, I embrace it for being more naturalistic and unique. It’s truly a one off entry. Nearly any other film in this franchise gets you the beams and crazy stuff you’re looking for.

This is Godzilla as if depicted partly on a military documentary and partly on animal planet.

I love it precisely because on any gray, rainy day I can imagine Gareth’s Godzilla emerging from the mist to fight MUTOs and it all just fits into the real world perfectly.
I embrace it now, and have always liked it, but I think people had a “pop-off” to Shin and KOTM for showing more classic interpretations on Godzilla than a very distinctly American one.

I also like the films (lack of) color. It makes the few moments with a lot really pop (red halo jump streams, Godzillas blue beam).
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

Very well stated, LSD. :huge: I really enjoy where the MV has gone, don't get me wrong, but wondering what it would have been like if the G'14 style had continued into the other movies remains one of my favorite "what ifs". I suppose LoM kind of answers that question, to a degree. ;)