The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
ultrazilla
G-Force Personnel

Re: The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Post by ultrazilla »

From someone who's already seen the 4k on BD forum, the transfer is apparently top notch and massively better than the blu ray. Man so can't wait, would look bonkers on my 77" Oled.

phaz0ngoji
Interpol Agent

Post by phaz0ngoji »

I'm stoked for the 4K release. If those recent stills they posted are any indication, it's going to be a night and day difference in terms of visual clarity and detail!

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

I see that a regular blu-ray disc is included as well. Any info on whether or not this is also a new transfer too? Or is the 4k disc only the new/updated transfer?
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

AtomicMorningBreath wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:16 pm I see that a regular blu-ray disc is included as well. Any info on whether or not this is also a new transfer too? Or is the 4k disc only the new/updated transfer?
Like most 4K releases, it's probably the same Blu-ray disc from before.

phaz0ngoji
Interpol Agent

Post by phaz0ngoji »

AtomicMorningBreath wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:16 pm I see that a regular blu-ray disc is included as well. Any info on whether or not this is also a new transfer too? Or is the 4k disc only the new/updated transfer?
It's highly likely that it's just a repackaged old Blu-ray that comes with the new 4k disc. That's the norm for most movies when it comes to 4k releases.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

I'm rewatching the three Monsterverse films in preparation of Godzilla vs. Kong...this is maybe the third or fourth time I've seen Godzilla (2014). I've never thought much of this film, but I dived back in with an open-mind, and tried to figure out where people were coming from when they praised it...yeah, I still don't get it. It's such an empty, by-the-numbers, soulless endeavor. Many of its technical qualities are admirable, but the script is just so hollow. I was laughing at the end, amazed at how the filmmakers expected us to care about the Brody family reunion, or to accept Godzilla as a hero when he's clearly caused just as much damage as the MUTOs (the TV headline "savior of our city?", with the characters smiling as he woke up and left, made me think of Man of Steel). Speaking of the MUTOs, there's a reason why no one talks about them - I never hear anyone say "I would love for the MUTOs to reappear in a future movie!", because they're remarkably boring and generic, like the film itself.

I would honestly rather watch GINO - at least that movie has some personality.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Your Boy Leroy
Monsterland Worker

Post by Your Boy Leroy »

I wouldn’t worry too much about why people praise G14, considering the way the rest of the MV turned out immediately afterwards. Pretty safe to say we won’t be getting a film like that again.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I think this article perfect articulates what I hate about G14. Though he is a bit more forgiving than me.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/collider.c ... eview/amp/
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

As someone who really enjoys G14, I do recognize that Ford isn't a very engaging protagonist, yet for whatever reason I don't have an issue with it. Maybe I do see more in Ford, or maybe I simply don't care that he isn't very engaging. Next time I'll watch the film, I'll make sure to look into that further, but I'm tempted to argue there is more there in Ford than people give credit for, even if it is subtle, or not as explored as it should be. While its been some time since watching, I want to say there are remnants of the cyclical nature of absent parenthood, that somewhat elevate Ford's quest to get home. But again, I'd need to view it again to see if it holds.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:11 pm I think this article perfect articulates what I hate about G14. Though he is a bit more forgiving than me.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/collider.c ... eview/amp/
This is an excellent article - yes, the humans do matter in these movies, even in the lighter, more absurd entries of the 60's:

"...having sat with the Showa era Godzilla movies over the past several weeks, one of the recurring elements I’ve noticed is how much the human characters can bring to the overall film. Even if it’s something as simple as the escape plots in Ebirah, Horror of the Deep, the conflict with the Xiliens in Invasion of Astro-Monster, or the weirdness of the Infant Island twins in Mothra vs. Godzilla, these non-kaiju characters aren’t simply lubricant for the plot. They ultimately represent the stakes and our entry into this world because the monsters don’t talk or tend to have any desire beyond “stomp this town” or “hit this other monster.”"

Even the article's one sentence about Shin Godzilla is on-point, he understands that the story is more a critique of the bureaucracy itself than of the individuals within it, and uses its scenes of human drama effectively to convey this theme:

"Even a film as recent as 2016’s Shin Godzilla shows that the real monster may not be Godzilla but an impenetrable bureaucracy of well-meaning people who simply aren’t nimble enough to deal with a quickly evolving threat."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Your Boy Leroy
Monsterland Worker

Post by Your Boy Leroy »

I've never really cared for of any of the human characters in Godzilla films, or giant monster films in general. Never thought they were annoying (up until K: SI, although only slightly...KOTM definitely), but never engaged by them either. As big of a fan of G14 as I am, I totally see how others think the film is boring, especially the human drama part. I didn't particularly care for it either, but it didn't annoy me the way KOTM did.

That being said, I think the first and probably only giant monster film where I found the human drama to be engaging is Shin Godzilla. And it's crazy, since all the characters are doing are sitting around in meetings! No globe-trotting, time-traveling, telepathic, or try-hard family drama stuff. I think anyone who is familiar with bureaucratic nonsense at their job will immediately feel some familiarity here. I know I did (I worked for Korean Air for 15 years, and while definitely not on the scale of the government politics, I was DEFINITELY uneasy, annoyed, and entertained by how familiar the drama felt).

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I rewatched this yesterday. Overtime my appreciation for G14 has grown, but now, after watching KOTM right after it, and seeing the trailers for GvK, I couldn't help but feel the film is a bit afraid of itself. It feels like it tries way too hard to be a disaster film than anything else, and it works really well for that, saving the Kaiju action only for the finale. It feels really restrained, which works well as the first entry of the franchise.

One thing I noticed though: A lot of people really dislike that the first Muto fight cuts off. I agree, and I think what they did was lazy. I think even if we got a really brief fight, that would've been enough. However, one thing I realized is that unlike other monsters, the MUTOs don't have a lot of powers or interesting moves that would affect Godzilla. As a result, the fight at the airport would essentially be what we got, with the male Muto flying around and clawing at Godzilla. Still, this is the first time we see Godzilla in full, there's no excuses why we couldn't have Godzilla fight the male a bit more and shown off a bit more of him.

Similarly, the Female's rampage should have had more meat to it. A lot of it is shown briefly through cameras, and it's lame that we don't get more. I think that if the Honolulu fight was a bit longer, even just a minute long, and the Female had some more destructions scenes, than the film would be more popular among fans.

I don't love G14, but I think it's a really good interpretation or adaptation of Godzilla into an American context.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Godzilla: King of the Monsters did make me appreciate Godzilla (2014) more. Alien is to Godzilla (2014) as Aliens is to Godzilla: King of the Monsters.

Also an example of what kaiju fans might enjoy more if they want more of the slow Jaws-like approach or fun non-stop kaiju action.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

m0nster01
Samurai

Post by m0nster01 »

This has probably already been discussed, but whatever dumbass ordered tanks and warships to the golden gate bridge better have had his ass courtmartialed.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Looking back, a few missteps aside, I still find it to be most the most 'technically' well-made MonsterVerse film, if that makes any sense. KOTM, Skull Island and GVK (in that order) might be more satisfying on a basal, visceral level (monsters!) but I can really appreciate G2014 for the more reserved, standalone, timeless feel - an outlier compared to the others.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

tbeasley wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:57 pm Looking back, a few missteps aside, I still find it to be most the most 'technically' well-made MonsterVerse film, if that makes any sense. KOTM, Skull Island and GVK (in that order) might be more satisfying on a basal, visceral level (monsters!) but I can really appreciate G2014 for the more reserved, standalone, timeless feel - an outlier compared to the others.
I agree. I think Godzilla 2014 has some really beautiful physical sets and feels real.

One thing that's interesting is all the Monsterverse films have very distinct visual themes.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:28 pm
tbeasley wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:57 pm Looking back, a few missteps aside, I still find it to be most the most 'technically' well-made MonsterVerse film, if that makes any sense. KOTM, Skull Island and GVK (in that order) might be more satisfying on a basal, visceral level (monsters!) but I can really appreciate G2014 for the more reserved, standalone, timeless feel - an outlier compared to the others.
I agree. I think Godzilla 2014 has some really beautiful physical sets and feels real.

One thing that's interesting is all the Monsterverse films have very distinct visual themes.
That something I love about the Godzilla franchise overall, and I'm happy the MonsterVerse embraced it: every movie is it's own thing! A Godzilla movie or a Kong movie can be whatever you want it to be, there's no real rules! Variety, variety, variety! We've now gone from grounded Disaster film, to a period piece/war movie/jungle horror film, to a world-hopping Fantasy/Action adventure film, to a Sci-Fi Cyberpunk Lost World movie! My hope is we get a cool Spy Thriller type movie in a future one. ^_^

Your Boy Leroy
Monsterland Worker

Post by Your Boy Leroy »

^ That’s one way of looking at it. I don’t agree, but I can definitely see the parallels.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Watched G14 for the first time in 7 years. My favorite part of the entire film wasn't Godzilla, the MUTOs, Joe, or even Serizawa. It was the OST. It's just so freaking good I could listen to it forever. The VFX was really good as well. As for the flaws, the human characters (not even just Ford) are dull, with Joe and Elle being the only outliers. Also, while I could see the San Fran battle no problem, the scenes with the male MUTO in the forest was essentially pitch-black and I had to get mere inches across from the TV to make out what was going on. And worst of all, they wasted Joe so hard his remains are in the Yucca Mountain Nuclear Waste Repository. He had so much potential for the rest of the movie and beyond! Who decided it was a good idea to write out the best character less than an hour in!?

6/10 for me. On to Kong: Skull Island.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

With singular point getting near unanimous praise despite having like 3 minutes of screentime for Godzilla, I never, ever wanna hear someone complain about the lack of Godzilla screentime in this movie or any other
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?