Talkback: Godzilla Final Wars (2004)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Re: Talkback: Godzilla Final Wars (2004)

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:12 am Yeah, me and I'm sure the mods and admins would appreciate it if you didn't do that.

Now that you admitted you only watch movies for monsters and literally nothing else, your stance makes more sense.
I mean, it's not a stance I ever tried to hide. I thought you of all people knew this considering our decade old "rivalry" lol.

I can't think of any Godzilla movie that I went "Gee, the humans in that were the real stars" when the credits started rolling. Well, except for maybe Captain Gordon.

:gordon: :gordon:

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I dont know, I think Nick Adams is THE reason to watch Monster Zero.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:22 am I dont know, I think Nick Adams is THE reason to watch Monster Zero.
I mean, he probably is the best part of the movie outside any of the kaiju scenes.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

godjacob wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:57 am And you do not have to be, but you shouldn't just question why other people do like the performance or think it works for the film, even if Frey is not a good actor.
If we're not supposed to question one another's perspectives, that doesn't leave much room for discussions on this here discussion board...
And I put "bad actor" in quotes because I still think his deadpan style delivery fits the character he was playing and works as a good contrast to the Xilien Leader's scene chewing masterpiece.
I don't read it as a deadpan performance; to my perception, he seems to be trying to use significant pauses and emphasis, but doing it very awkwardly.

Added in 1 minute 29 seconds:
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:24 am
Legion1979 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:22 am I dont know, I think Nick Adams is THE reason to watch Monster Zero.
I mean, he probably is the best part of the movie outside any of the kaiju scenes.
I dunno, I'd factor in production design, score, and Yoshio Tsuchiya as equally appealing aspects of the movie.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

eabaker wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:27 am
godjacob wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:57 am And you do not have to be, but you shouldn't just question why other people do like the performance or think it works for the film, even if Frey is not a good actor.
If we're not supposed to question one another's perspectives, that doesn't leave much room for discussions on this here discussion board...
And I put "bad actor" in quotes because I still think his deadpan style delivery fits the character he was playing and works as a good contrast to the Xilien Leader's scene chewing masterpiece.
I don't read it as a deadpan performance; to my perception, he seems to be trying to use significant pauses and emphasis, but doing it very awkwardly.

Added in 1 minute 29 seconds:
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:24 am
I dunno, I'd factor in production design, score, and Yoshio Tsuchiya as equally appealing aspects of the movie.
Which again, adds to the charm. In most other Kaiju flicks this would not work but given the over the top popcorn nature of Final Wars I feel it compliments the picture to a T. And I do see him generally going for it but not being the best (Cause he isn't a proper actor being an MMA guy) but honestly he has charming moments.

"You'd hit a woman?"

*Gordon shifts his fist into an open palm and just decks the Xilien woman's neck*

"Yeah~"

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

godjacob wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:06 am Oh yeah speaking of that I couldn't message you back for some reason to give a reply to that for some reason. So I hope I didn't come off as a jerk for not replying to it, I tried I did ^^"
No problem, I have messaging turned off and I guess that's why, oops. It used to be at least that I could message other users and they'd be able to reply but perhaps that's changed in a board update.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Gordon to me is defiantly more memorable then a lot of the Godzilla's human cast but its not because he's a better character it's because he's is so bad he stands out more. If I had to rapid fire Godzilla's characters by name he would probably be on my list as one of the first couple names but is isn't because of a breakthrough performance.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:48 pm Gordon to me is defiantly more memorable then a lot of the Godzilla's human cast but its not because he's a better character it's because he's is so bad he stands out more. If I had to rapid fire Godzilla's characters by name he would probably be on my list as one of the first couple names but is isn't because of a breakthrough performance.
Agreed!
I like Gordon, but it’s because he’s silly, in a movie full of over-the-top silliness. Which, hey, that works for me— but he’s no masterwork of a character, through performance or writing.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

CyberZilla wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:33 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:48 pm Gordon to me is defiantly more memorable then a lot of the Godzilla's human cast but its not because he's a better character it's because he's is so bad he stands out more. If I had to rapid fire Godzilla's characters by name he would probably be on my list as one of the first couple names but is isn't because of a breakthrough performance.
Agreed!
I like Gordon, but it’s because he’s silly, in a movie full of over-the-top silliness. Which, hey, that works for me— but he’s no masterwork of a character, through performance or writing.
I wouldn't want it any other way. Given the attitude of the film, a stock American badass delivering one liners to an over the top alien invader is just the kind of experience I want and enjoyed from Final Wars.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

This, plus the stunt casting of definitely-in-no-way-shape-or-form-an-actor Don Frye just adds a little absurd cherry on top of it.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:57 pm
This, plus the stunt casting of definitely-in-no-way-shape-or-form-an-actor Don Frye just adds a little absurd cherry on top of it.
I mean, its not like casting Nick Adams in GvMZ didn't make it the main reason Glenn is memorable. That, and half of his cheesy lines and the fact he's banging an alien.

Quote of the Year:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:57 pm
And then you have our over-the-top villain as well. GFW is a big, loud movie, and the over-the-top performances fit right it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GoldenGoat2000
Yojimbo

Post by GoldenGoat2000 »

I love this movie. That is all

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Everyone talks about Don Frye in the movie, but forget he was clearly a play at trying to draw the PRIDE and NJPW crowd in. "Oh! Don Frye! The Final Wars guy!" not, Don Frye, the extremely busted MMA fighter and beastly pro wrestler.

I don't think Final Wars is a Good, or even Great Movie. I think it's actively one of the worst. But I also think I have a lot of fun watching it too, because to me, it's so bad its good. It's a good watch with friends. If anyone wanted to know what a Michael Bay Godzilla movie would be like, you have your answer.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Found this really neat and informative interview with Ryuhei Kitamura for those interested: https://youtu.be/O6H-uqycbOE

The interview's from a year ago. Kitamura reveals a lot of unique things and behind the scenes stuff.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

Just rewatched the movie yesterday with my gf (who saw it for the first time) and well, just love the movie. It's an entertaining flick which isn't trying to deliver a ground-breaking all new story but giving us a fun 2 hours. Never had a problem with Godzilla only being in the 2nd half as the human characters are all so interesting and fun to see interact with that the first hour passes by in such a flight.
Honestly, this film is actually the best conclusion and anniversary to the franchise as a whole.
Also ain't it interesting that Godzilla AND Ultraman both had a big get together film, gathering many classic characters and actors, starting with an introduction scene with a voiceover plus for them being the only instance/movie in the franchise with a soundtrack composed by an American artist?

And even after all these years I gotta say, that never before or after have I heard a soundtrack that unique and in this kind of style as in GFW. Not even the slightest clue why that is but Keith Emerson surely blessed this movie with tracks so memorable and in a way I have never heard them in any movie in my life.

Logan268
G-Grasper

Post by Logan268 »

Dyrakro wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:31 am And even after all these years I gotta say, that never before or after have I heard a soundtrack that unique and in this kind of style as in GFW. Not even the slightest clue why that is but Keith Emerson surely blessed this movie with tracks so memorable and in a way I have never heard them in any movie in my life.
It wasn't just Keith Emerson since Nobuhiko Morino and Daisuke Yano contributed to the soundtrack too and the latter wrote the majority of the soundtrack

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

Logan268 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:45 pm
Dyrakro wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:31 am And even after all these years I gotta say, that never before or after have I heard a soundtrack that unique and in this kind of style as in GFW. Not even the slightest clue why that is but Keith Emerson surely blessed this movie with tracks so memorable and in a way I have never heard them in any movie in my life.
It wasn't just Keith Emerson since Nobuhiko Morino and Daisuke Yano contributed to the soundtrack too and the latter wrote the majority of the soundtrack
Ah, I see, didn't know that... still the most unique style in a movie OST I've ever heard.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Sorry not sorry but I still really like Emerson's music. Looking over a list of the soundtrack it's funny realizing how much I like Emerson's synthy music and how the stuff I don't like is by the other two composers. Emerson's work is very jazzy, prog-rocky and it gives a very distinctive and futuristic sound to the film. I'm not a big fan of the EPIC almost choursy tracks throughout the film and it's crazy how much in retrospect it clashes with Emerson's work.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:08 pm Sorry not sorry but I still really like Emerson's music. Looking over a list of the soundtrack it's funny realizing how much I like Emerson's synthy music and how the stuff I don't like is by the other two composers. Emerson's work is very jazzy, prog-rocky and it gives a very distinctive and futuristic sound to the film. I'm not a big fan of the EPIC almost choursy tracks throughout the film and it's crazy how much in retrospect it clashes with Emerson's work.
Chorus-y stuff works for me tbh. It does clash a bit with the Emerson stuff, but on the whole I like how the two come together.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image