Talkback: Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Re: Talkback: Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989)

Post by Great Hierophant »

I remember Kevin Pollack's very first lines of that trailer from my VHS copy, but the rest doesn't register. My brain tuned out as my finger hit the fast-forward.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

They should include an non-skippable, HD version of the trailer on the next Blu-ray release. ;)
Last edited by Rando Yaguchi on Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Those actors playing the bio-major duo were just plain awful. Was English not their first language?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:27 pm Those actors playing the bio-major duo were just plain awful. Was English not their first language?
"Michael Lowe" ("Shit DAMN we are the lethal weapon!"), played by Derrick Holmes, might have been American. I don't know where he was born, but he was definitely living in America before moving to Japan according to this interview. The actor playing "John Lee," Keishi Hunt, was born in Japan (source).

But as usual, most of the non-Japanese actors in these movies had only minimal acting experience.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

"Hey, this ain't a beauty contest!"

Yeah, they were the worst.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Just more evidence that the dubbed version is superior.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Terasawa wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:06 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:27 pm Those actors playing the bio-major duo were just plain awful. Was English not their first language?
"Michael Lowe" ("Shit DAMN we are the lethal weapon!"), played by Derrick Holmes, might have been American. I don't know where he was born, but he was definitely living in America before moving to Japan according to this interview. The actor playing "John Lee," Keishi Hunt, was born in Japan (source).

But as usual, most of the non-Japanese actors in these movies had only minimal acting experience.
Wow I've never seen any info on these guys ever in my life. You really should write a book
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Godzilla21 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:03 am

Wow I've never seen any info on these guys ever in my life. You really should write a book
Thanks, but in this case I just found that information by Googling and knowing how to use Google Translate/find the right names on the film's Japanese Wikipedia entry. :)
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:09 am
Godzilla21 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:03 am

Thanks, but in this case I just found that information by Googling and knowing how to use Google Translate/find the right names on the film's Japanese Wikipedia entry. :)
These days all you need to do to be able to publish a book is steal things from Wikipedia. So go for it.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Godzilla vs Biollante composer Koichi Sugiyama died September 30, age 90.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:11 am Godzilla vs Biollante composer Koichi Sugiyama died September 30, age 90.
Bummer...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

That's pretty sad.

It seems that he's most known for his work on the Dragon Quest games. I came across "Through the Fields" from Dragon Quest IV while listening to the Legacy Music Hour years ago. Doesn't it sound like "Scramble March"?

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Terasawa wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:11 am Godzilla vs Biollante composer Koichi Sugiyama died September 30, age 90.
What a score he composed for this film. Just brilliant. Some very unique tracks, in addition to tracks that would fit in just about any Godzilla movie. Plus the Williams influence felt throughout the score...just one of my favorites of all time.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

RIP. One of my favorite scores in the series.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

You guys should read about Sugiyama's politics sometime. I enjoy his Biollante score but....

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:07 pm You guys should read about Sugiyama's politics sometime. I enjoy his Biollante score but....
Yeah, I saw that mentioned in the Paragon article. Really, really bizarre and messed up. I wonder if he held those beliefs up until the moment he died.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I very intentionally chose the least controversial, most basic report of his death not because I agree with his political or social beliefs (not to mention his actions in support of them), but because this is the Godzilla vs Biollante thread. IDK, just didn't wanna open up that can of worms in here, although I suppose that's inevitable considering who he was.
Last edited by Terasawa on Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

His score really was one of the best. The Super-X II theme in particular is wonderful, so triumphant and upbeat.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:17 pm His score really was one of the best. The Super-X II theme in particular is wonderful, so triumphant and upbeat.
Personally, I'd never go as far as saying it was one of the best. It's fun to listen to on its own, but man, a lot of it doesn't fit the movie, especially because it was all written as 6 minute suites and just cut and pasted into the film. That both battles are scored to the exact same piece of music that ends right around the same time is frustrating to me.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Considering how the tracks were written, it's shocking how many of them *do* fit, and how well they contribute to the film's unique atmosphere.

I am partial to the score's darker moments...that intro with the G-cells, and how it leads into the Ifukube theme. *chef's kiss*