Why Does Every one like The showa series

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Why Does Every one like The showa series

Post by Legion1979 »

.....was it necessary to bump a thread that's been dead for over two years?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Nope, there was no reason for this thread to be revived. Let's hold off on posting unless we have something substantial to say, shall we?
Last edited by eabaker on Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Well then, it's a good thing I have something substantial to say.

The Showa Era is the champion stable of the Godzilla franchise because even at its worst (and I use that term loosely), it's still at least good. Even if not great, just good—something that the Millennium, MonsterVerse, Reiwa, and especially Heisei era cannot say the same about. Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla, Destoroyah, Megaguirus, Planet Eater may all have more advanced special effects and musical compositions, but quality-wise they're all beneath the likes of Destroy All Monsters and Godzilla vs Megalon, the two weakest overall of the Showa Era in my opinion.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It was the most creative phase of Godzilla, which helps it be good.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I can't help as to why so many people will be more forgiving of the Showa era as a whole for its faults more so then the Heisei. Is is rose-tinted nostalgia at play?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:33 pm I can't help as to why so many people will be more forgiving of the Showa era as a whole for its faults more so then the Heisei. Is is rose-tinted nostalgia at play?
I'm pretty sure people have explained this ad nauseum. Like, this is something you legit don't understand? Really? Or are you just looking for a reaction?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:33 pm I can't help as to why so many people will be more forgiving of the Showa era as a whole for its faults more so then the Heisei. Is is rose-tinted nostalgia at play?
People have explained it to you for what feels like (and probably is) years now. The Showa films are genuinely better films.
For Emperor and Empire!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Voyager wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:12 pm
People have explained it to you for what feels like (and probably is) years now. The Showa films are genuinely better films.
That's not really the explanation but okay sure, let's go with that.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:20 pm
Not like you gave an explanation. I don’t think I’ll ever understand why you’re so hostile to so many people on here.

In fact, you just complained that he didn’t get it. So please don’t act like that.
Last edited by Voyager on Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Because, as everyone's already been stating for years, Showa's biggest faults are nowhere near as bad—or numerous—as Heisei's.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

The Showa Era was during a time of financial hardship. Resources were a lot more hard to take advantage of than during the 80s and 90s. Not to mention the advent of TV pretty much killed the Showa Era in it’s last run of years. The Heisei era didn’t have these plaguing it (not to the same extent at least) and still produced less creative, engaging, and technically advantageous films.
For Emperor and Empire!

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Voyager wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:37 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:20 pm

Not like you gave an explanation. I don’t think I’ll ever understand why you’re so hostile to so many people on here.

In fact, you just complained that he didn’t get it. So please don’t act like that.
The reason why the Showa era films are better liked is because that era in general, not just Godzilla, had lots of creative energies that at least were attempted to be done in earnest, despite any technical limitations. They were very well done films, reflective of the overall standard of film making worldwide. Believe it or not, Godzilla and Toho tokusatsu sfx were considered "pretty good" by film critics in the West (when they weren't being xenophobic anyway). The Heisei films, like vs Biollante and King Ghidorah were pretty good overall. The issue is that Toho took less risks in all kinds of things, from spending (THEY LEGIT DECICED TO NOT USE THE SUPERIOR MECHAGODZILLA "to save money") to writing, and while I feel the Heisei films overall had some cool sfx things going on in there, when compared to the Showa films overall, the Showa films are a complete package. Its more consistent of a product.

Also yeah, that's something I've wondered myself. His response in the Godziban thread over Bagan was just kinda condescending. Tranquilo.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Legendzilla is right that some nostalgia is at play, but we have also given several reasons why Showa has the appreciation it does.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

For the most part, anyway. It's hard to defend a film like Godzilla vs Megalon, I'll admit.

It's fun, though! More than I can say for the anime trilogy.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Godzilla vs Megon was made on a ridiculously low budget as children's festival fodder during a decade when Japanese cinemas were struggling. Despite all that it's an immensely enjoyable, fun film.

What's Godzilla vs Space Godzilla's excuse?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Here we go again.

Nevermind that the Showa Series is a poor umbrella term to debate, because within it there's definitely 2-4 distinct peroids of film making (early years, mid-showa) and everything after DAM/Champion Era). Nevermind that most people who think the Heisei series is overall inferior to the Showa series typically regard the first three Heisei entries as pretty damn good, if not better/compareable to many of the Showa eras. Nevermind that even then still, many people still have a warm spot for the latter Heisei films...

I can't take anyone who suddenly is surprised why people like the Showa series more than the Heisei series seriously. An oversimplification of it is simple: more creative energy, and viewing things less like a sterile self-egrandizing product. This doesn't mean there isn't anything wonderful about the Heisei series, just that it's a different vibe.

Also, I've never understood the nostalgia glasses argument for why people like the Showa series. I wasn't born in the 50's, 60's, or 70's, or even 80's. While it's possible that IOTAM might've been my first Godzilla film, I saw Godzilla 2000 in theaters and I know I had VHSs of the Tristar/Columbia Heisei releases, long before I had a DVD of Son of Godzilla, or Godzilla vs. Gigan. I know 100% I did not care aout Godzilla 1954, until I saw the original cut of Gojira, and the same rings true for both King Kong vs. Godzilla, Godzilla's Revenge, and Terror of Mechagodzilla. It says a lot that a lot of the "younger" crowd on here still has a lot of love for the Showa series despiute it being relatively antiquated. Also, none of us were born in Japan from the 50s-80s, so again, where do we get this nostalgia from?
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

LSD, I hate the term consider the source but...consider the source.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Because it’s good. There’s your answer.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

They’re just fun and enjoyable films. They’re great on both levels of watching film. If you want something to chew on and dissect, it’s good for that. But if you just wanna watch it for fun that works just fine too.
For Emperor and Empire!

GodzillandEnthusiest
Ronin

Post by GodzillandEnthusiest »

i like the story and action, it has a charm to it, and its fun. the early showa films are very good and are some of the best in the series