Why Does Every one like The showa series

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Dr. Professor
Futurian

Re: Why Does Every one like The showa series

Post by Dr. Professor »

Gojirawars 03 wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Gojirawars 03 wrote: Well you're fine to think that.

You're objectively wrong, but that's ok.
Yes, it is objectively wrong to favor Son of Godzilla's superior story structure, characterization, and performances; more distinctive production and creature design; more cinematic visual style; and largely more impressive special effects accomplishments.
Yes, because watching Minilla's donkey squeals and deformed frog hatchling puppet makes for a better movie than a three-way battle royale between Godzilla, Mechagodzilla, and a powered up Rodan over the fate of an actually good-looking design of Godzilla's son. Obviously, the new new monsters being a giant spider and some giant praying mantises was much better than Fire Rodan or Super Mechagodzilla. Obviously watching a couple guys talk about a weather machine is much more interesting than a plan to defeat Godzilla using a robotic double of him that is superior in almost every way. Yes, Son of Godzilla is such a great film. Obviously. :sarcasm:
You're comparing things that ultimately don't matter when it comes to crafting a compelling narrative. I'm not gonna sit here and tell you you're wrong for enjoying Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla II over Son of Godzilla. Entertainment is subjective. But to say that it's objectively wrong to think that Son of Godzilla is the better film just because Minya looks and sounds weird and there's no fight between Godzilla, Rodan, and MechaGodzilla is ridiculous. Yes, the idea of Fire Rodan and Super MechaGodzilla may be cooler to some than that of Kamacuras and Kumonga, but they really dropped the ball with the execution. The Fire Rodan prop and the SMG suit are both very stiff and plasticky, whereas Kamacuras and Kumonga are both very lively and are works of excellent puppeteering.

Ya know, just because the Heisei series has more modern effects, doesn't mean that it has the better effects. I'd actually say that the Heisei series, post-Biollante, has some of the most awkward effects in the franchise. Godzilla looks consistently good, but after vs. King Ghidorah the other monsters all, like I said previously, look stiff and plasticky. The composite shots don't look convincing in anyway (not that they ever did in the Showa series either, to be fair) and filming the monster action from high angles was just a bad move, in my opinion. I just don't think Koichi Kawakita really did anything to improve on Tsubaraya's craft.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

^ Solid ass points here.

But you guys are debating with a kid probably no older than 12 who probably won’t read half the words you guys are typing because it’s going over his head, it’s a losing battle :lol:

Maybe when he’s older he’ll learn the difference between “cool vs. well crafted execution”.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Gojirawars 03 Has A point When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Smuggers wrote:Gojirawars 03 Has A point When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch
Classic copypasta is classic.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Smuggers wrote:Gojirawars 03 Has A point When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch
Excellent callback.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
Classic copypasta is Classic.
It only comes full circle considering the creator of this thread was Zillabeast98 (one of multiple dupe accounts, including mecagodzillax).
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

MaxRebo320 wrote:
Classic copypasta is Classic.
It only comes full circle considering the creator of this thread was Zillabeast98 (one of multiple dupe accounts, including mecagodzillax).
Since this threads come full circle, can we lock it now :P
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#slatternking

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

you are one angry sob -_-
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote: Classic copypasta is Classic.
Since this threads come full circle, can we lock it now :P
true TK poetry

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Wow I didn’t even realize this thread was made in 2012.
Oh well, even though if no one cares what Dr. Professor and I have to say, it’s fun typing out stuff I believe just so I can reflect on my own beliefs. It’s funny because a few years ago I aided more with COOL SHIT IS BETTER.

Now I also gotta say, the scene with Kumonga chasing Goro and Dako(?), the scene with Kumonga’s claw in the cave, and Kumonga and Minya, are some of the most stressful and genuinely scary moments in the franchise. Kumonga may be just a giant spider, and it’s not a particularly important Kaiju, but they did a really good job with it.

Also, while it’s ham fisted in some ways, I really think people don’t praise the films weird “man controlling nature” thing enough. I sortve always forget that Kamacuras grew large due to the big experiment, and Kumonga was awakened by that.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Kumi's character is named Daiyo.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Mr. Introspection wrote:Godzilla Raids Again is criminally underrated.
Not to drive this bizarre little experiment of a thread into yet another odd direction, but I just want to add that I actually total agree with this. It has a lot of problems and flaw, but I really do like the movie and find the human story to be pretty interesting and compelling.

And although the sped-up monsters just does not work, I really admire the fact that, after doing it wrong by mistake, the director thought to go ahead and do the whole thing that way and experiment. Some experiments work: the original Gojira (pretty much and massive experiment from the ground up), Shin Godzilla; some don't: Raids Again's use of undercranking, the anime trilogy.
Last edited by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah on Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

edgaguirus wrote:Kumi's character is named Daiyo.
Except he was referring to Son of Godzilla, which in that case, the island girl (Bibari Maeda) is named either Saeko or Reiko, depending on which version you watch.

And I am inclined to agree that Godzilla Raids Again does get a lot of unwarranted flack. It might be the weakest Showa films (Possibly sans All Monsters Attack/Godzilla's Revenge), but that's just a testament to how good they all are.

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

For me, the reason that I find the Showa series as a great set of films is because they have something that later Godzilla films either had none of or so little: Effort. It still amazes me to this day to know that every tree, every window in a building, every piece of background or foreground was painstakingly crafted by human hands. With the exception of their budget cutting in the seventies, each film had a lush assortment of story, character, and art directing.

Sure the Heisei series has some exceptional special effects and clearly when looking at the behind-the-scenes, there was a creative thought when making them, but the stories for most of them fall flat. The beam battles that occurs in the films are sometimes entertaining, but between them and the much bulkier/slower combat, it mostly comes off to me that Toho was more concerned with making more budget cuts than taking the time to give their Godzilla battles an extra punch of energy (I'm sure this isn't true, but this is what I mostly see in the monster action). Lastly, even if the Heisei series had continuity, I felt that it limited what the filmmakers could take their stories/ideas. As much as I find the constant rebooting of each Millennium Godzilla film annoying, it at least gave the filmmakers a chance to experiment with new ideas and directions.

"But to each their own," as everyone else has said....
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

godzilla98rules wrote:The beam battles that occurs in the films are sometimes entertaining, but between them and the much bulkier/slower combat, it mostly comes off to me that Toho was more concerned with making more budget cuts than taking the time to give their Godzilla battles an extra punch of energy (I'm sure this isn't true, but this is what I mostly see in the monster action).
Well, how true that is depends upon whom you're referring to when you say "Toho." Kawakita and his effects crews? No, they certainly weren't happy about reduced budgets and production schedules. The executives making broad budgetary decisions? They weren't all that concerned about battles with an extra punch of energy.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

eabaker wrote:
godzilla98rules wrote:The beam battles that occurs in the films are sometimes entertaining, but between them and the much bulkier/slower combat, it mostly comes off to me that Toho was more concerned with making more budget cuts than taking the time to give their Godzilla battles an extra punch of energy (I'm sure this isn't true, but this is what I mostly see in the monster action).
Well, how true that is depends upon whom you're referring to when you say "Toho." Kawakita and his effects crews? No, they certainly weren't happy about reduced budgets and production schedules. The executives making broad budgetary decisions? They weren't all that concerned about battles with an extra punch of energy.
That's information I didn't know. Thanks for that.

As for "Toho," I was merely referring to the executives.....
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Why am I not surprised that OP:

-Only has 6 posts
-Opens with something trollish & dismissive
-Has Godzilla 1998 as his avatar
-Is a dupe
Last edited by BlankAccount on Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Living Corpse wrote:Why am I not surprised that OP:

-Only has 6 posts
-Is a dupe
The post is seven years old, Corpse.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Why am I not surprised that OP:

-Only has 6 posts
-Is a dupe
The post is seven years old, Corpse.
No I didn't notice that. s/ :roll:
godzilla98rules wrote:
eabaker wrote:
That's information I didn't know. Thanks for that.

As for "Toho," I was merely referring to the executives.....
Yeah special moves stop feeling special when they are spammed all the time.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

I used to be in the "Showa is overrated" camp too but since the latter half of last year and the majority of this one I've looked at the era with fresh eyes, and from an older and more experienced and analytical stand point. And while the era does have some of the lowest lows the franchise has ever had (i.e. All Monsters Attack and Godzilla Vs. Megalon) but it also has the undisputed high points of the entire series that are, honestly, awe inspiring to this day. They're wonderfully crafted, consistent and thematically precise story that are made by people who love what they do. And I do think one's appreciation for the Showa era deepens depending on how much one appreciates classic film making and the history behind it.

Nearly every Godzilla movie I've watched and re-watched lately has almost always been Showa era. Granted I'll admit I've watched the Heisei era so much to a point where I have a solid memory of them even without extremely recent re-watches but today I find I have little urge to revisit them save for the first three or so. I do think some people exaggerate some of its negative aspects to a degree, but their lack of creativity post Vs. King Ghidorah and messy stories is pretty clear to me.
Resized Image