Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Executive Hamster wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:25 pm And call me weird, but I really want Gemstone Gigan. Not my favorite on this list, but the standard gigan design in those shorts was cool as hell, way cooler than the red one.
They should've just sold the Blue Gigan alongside the other 3 figures. I'd make the argument that the design is just slightly different enough, and I mean it's Gigan... It's going to sell.

Just to re-iterate, it's been soft confirmed that the winner of the poll isn't necessarily the only figure that will get sold. I have a feeling that the first contest was "legitimate" but after the second one I'm pretty sure they realized people will go out of their way to get figures of Gorosaurus and Varan, if there's swell around it. Varan was followed by SMG and most likely Ebirah, so we can assume that the 2nd and 3rd places are always going to be possibilities.

I need to redownload the Godzilla+ app after making some room on my phone, but I'll check how the poll is going later.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Instreasting how everything went from Start with Godzilla 94 to now start lines with Godzilla 89.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I think its reasonable to think that the two runners up after the winner will get made down the road.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Yeah, there's always never just one winner with polls like these from toy companies. It's definitely testing the waters on obscure characters like Gabara who could possibly get something new in addition to whatever wins the first place or so.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Everyone on that list deserves to be made as far as I feel, but it's really hard to tell who to pull for. I think I'll land on Zilla, but Gabara is possible. I would buy any of the options though.

I want to say on my record -- it feels crazy that Bandai has not produced Rodan or King Ghidorah's Showa forms in the 6" scale and just as strange there is neither Showa nor Heisei (imago) Mothra in that scale. Those are some of Toho's biggest cash cow characters. Fans shouldn't have to ask for those.

The new line is for nobody. Tell Sakai to cheapen it for us peasants.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:07 am Hearing the price on this Sakai Godzilla is ¥13,200. That seems...a little nuts. Good luck with that, Bandai.
$100 for a 6inch figure….no thanks 👎🏻 Don’t care if Yuji Sakai or Pablo Picasso sculpted it.

Would love to see the 8 inch line of Bandai return…. but I moved beyond the hope of that ever happening decades ago.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Ordered Mechagodzilla 75, Battra, Godzilla 84, Varan, Gorosaurus, and Megaguirus from the Godzilla Store. I already have MG75 but it's the Memorial Box version. As much as I adore the Memorial Box version I figured it would be nice to have a standard version as well.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Voted for Gabara in the recent polls. Frustratingly enough you can't see the results this time around, meaning we can't have fun and speculate what the runners up are. Also makes it more likely for them to say "fuck it" and just pick which ones they want to make anyways. At least this time around ALL of the entries are relatively obscure/hard to find old vinyls for. No SMGs on that list at the very least.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

It ironic part is Bandai probably had plans to do all the GFW monsters anyway if their upcoming figures are any indication.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:17 am It ironic part is Bandai probably had plans to do all the GFW monsters anyway if their upcoming figures are any indication.
Where to find a list of all figs scheduled to release?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Dyrakro wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:26 am
Legion1979 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:17 am It ironic part is Bandai probably had plans to do all the GFW monsters anyway if their upcoming figures are any indication.
Where to find a list of all figs scheduled to release?
Showcase Daikaiju usually lists figures ahead of their official reveals.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

It's amazing we're living in a world where, thanks to digital rendering, we know what the Super 7 and Mezco stuff looks like months (if not a year or more) before they come out...

...but many of the upcoming Bandais come out when? Next month? March? And we have no idea what they're going to look like.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:57 pm It's amazing we're living in a world where, thanks to digital rendering, we know what the Super 7 and Mezco stuff looks like months (if not a year or more) before they come out...

...but many of the upcoming Bandais come out when? Next month? March? And we have no idea what they're going to look like.
It is strange, ngl. I have to wonder if it’s their preference for reveals.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Could also be that the Japanese toy industry is much more tight lipped. For a few years Sentai toy reveals became harder to leak once the companies saw all the chatter online. That changed again only recently.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:57 pm It's amazing we're living in a world where, thanks to digital rendering, we know what the Super 7 and Mezco stuff looks like months (if not a year or more) before they come out...

Honestly? Good. All these pre-release renders from companies usually look way off the mark from how they eventually turn out.

I'd much rather we have our first look at Bandai stuff when it's as close as possible to what we'll be getting in hand.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

I remember various times of figs being shown online in official pictures even as toy litings on their officials websites and still missing paint for example. Luckily this has been the case for KR & SS so far but still. It's crazy.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I was expecting them to reveal them in the livestream last weekend alongside the poll results and 'new line' and I'm still shocked we haven't seen them now.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JVM wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:15 am I was expecting them to reveal them in the livestream last weekend alongside the poll results and 'new line' and I'm still shocked we haven't seen them now.
To clarify, I think there’s something weird going on behind the scenes with different people promoting different things. What I mean to say is that if you look at what the Godzilla Store TV promotes, it’s all generally very exclusive stuff. Sure they’ll promote Bandai Godzilla stuff, but it’ll all generally be store exclusives.

I imagine that the Godzilla store, while selling the movie monster series vinyls in general, don’t really want to spend their time promoting stuff that people can easily get on Amazon here or through other sources; why do free advertising for them when the bulk of consumers aren’t going to get the standard vinyls through them? Focus on the stuff that they exclusively sell.

In regards to the “why haven’t we seen Ebirah and co yet” I think UG is right, but there’s also a key factor that people are ignoring: the figures don’t technically exist yet. They haven’t been revealed officially, they’re only known through seller listings and toy outlets. While you can preorder them on Showcase Daikaiju and some other places, you cannot officially preorder them directly. Why are Bandai or anyone else obligated to show an image when you can’t even DIRECTLY preorder them from Bandai?

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

I assumed we’d get photos by this week (end of January) but I don’t actually know when the next batch of figures goes out for retail. With some of the Singular Point stuff I remember they didn’t reveal photos until about a week prior to release (Terrestris I think was one of those cases).

I definitely plan to pick up Manda, Baragon and Ebirah, regardless of how they look. Manda’s honestly the one that I think will be the biggest wild card; it could either look really good or really cheap.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

True. I'm generally curious how these will look. They can't go too wrong with the new FW Goji, FW Hedorah, '93 MG &' 65 Baragon I think, since those are all pretty generic upright-stance man-in-a-suit designs. But I don't know what to expect of FW Manda (considering how... 'simplistic' the S.P variant looked) or Ebirah with his crustacean legs and antennae (which I hope won't just simply be molded into/onto the main body, like Biollante's rear tentacles were...). I bet that the new Ghidorah '91 will most-likely be heavily underscaled yet again and thus look tiny compared to the others.
Last edited by Petezilla on Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Size DOES matter!