Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Re: Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

Post by Executive Hamster »

Me personally I like how Manda looks a lot and Im pretty excited to get it. But I completely understand why other people don't care for it, the sculpt of the figure isnt ideal but it is perfect for the kind of set up I will be able to do with it so Im happy.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I'm not certain, but Manda might be a little bit longer than it appears in the photo. The body segments look less like direct joints and more like obscured curves; the figure might be more serpentine in shape than we think.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Manda looks like a toothbrush or a green bean with scoliosis. I don’t understand how they looked at the gorgeous eastern dragon that is Final Wars Manda, and decided the kebab stick was the ideal pose.

They could’ve went with even a classic S shaped eastern dragon pose, with a swivel in the mid section and the tail.

I’d have to see FW Hedorah from head on but as of now he looks like a burnt sausage, his noggin is much too thin.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Gotschiller wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:07 am Image
Hedorah's sculpt looks too smooth. Doesn't do the movie suit justice, it looks so cheap. How can we get it incredible sculpts with the Gameras but here it just falls flat?
Last edited by Maverick Centigrade on Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Rody wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:33 am I'm not certain, but Manda might be a little bit longer than it appears in the photo. The body segments look less like direct joints and more like obscured curves; the figure might be more serpentine in shape than we think.
It looks to me like Manda is going to be the same pose as the SP version (which was what I feared) but maybe you're right- I guess we need more photos to confirm. The details and paint look fine to me, but not having it in a coiled or wrapped position does it no favors. Especially because Manda never stretched straight like a stick during the movie.

Hedorah looks like a toy that a baby would chew on in the tub. I'll admit there's something appealing in its soft and simple sculpt, but I can see why many people would be disappointed.
Last edited by Creature22 on Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

So, if we apply the prior theory that was being said to these releases... Does this mean we're going to be getting SHMA Hedorah 2004 and Manda 2004 soon? :)

Also, trying to wrap my head around why they look worse than the cheapie battle box figures from nearly 20 years ago.

Once again, movie monster series 500. C'moooooon.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Not too jazzed by the GFW vinyls, to echo everyone else. Hedorah looks fine but the big seam in the head is killing it, Manda just looks ridiculous and Godzilla is probably the best of the lot (Looks to be a downscale of the 8" figure judging by the sharper claws) but is pointless to me since I own the SHMA, the 8", and the old MMS. Mechagodzilla looks alright imo, it being a standard release endears it to me more than the SMG which was an exclusive. I might grab it, IDK.

Ultra 500 (just can't get used to calling them UMS) guys look great, definitely excited for more Showa stuff with Guigass and Red King II.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Hedorah is ok. Not amazing, and I already have two other FW Hedorahs. However, it’ll go nicely in my Hedorah collection.

No interest in Heisei MG.

Manda is fine too. From what we can see the body looks nice…but the head crest and horns feel whack.

Manda will still be a nice addition to my collection for variety sake.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Personally I was hoping Manda would be similar in proportion and pose to the Bandai Nurse from Ultraman:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I just noticed with Manda:
What is going on with the hind legs? They seem to be...reveresed/backwards in that photo.

Looking at it closesly, the figure might be really long, which in case I might be forgiving if the face is a bit crappy.

Added in 2 minutes 36 seconds:
canofhumdingers wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:36 pm Personally I was hoping Manda would be similar in proportion and pose to the Bandai Nurse from Ultraman:

More suited for Showa Manda, which was shown walking.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I'd much rather have a GFW Manda sculpted in the way that Narse is (and the way the incredible Marmit version of the character was) then what Bandai is giving collectors now, regardless of true accuracy. At least it would look nicer. Everyone is trying very hard to see some good in it, but thst new figure is just sad.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

I still think the new Manda is weirdly cute, but it definitely isn’t perfect. I’m gonna get it because I need a Manda and I think it’ll look nice enough, but I also want to see in-hand pics of it when they pop up.
Def need to see in-hand for that Hedorah, I’m really not sure about that one. It looks way too smooth in the promo pic.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

{---HYPERZeTToN---}
G-Force Personnel

Post by {---HYPERZeTToN---} »

Well that's the first and last time I preorder something without seeing stock images first at the least

I envisioned these things to have pretty good sculpts but lacking paint, instead it's lacking paint AND wack sculpts (mostly for Hedorah and Manda)

I only preordered Hedorah, had interest in Manda since I love its Millennium design but decided to wait, glad I didn't order one, but I still feel like I got scammed with that Smog Monster (just so happens to be my favorite Godzilla monster), looks like a fucking upscaled candy toy or some shit, bleh

Bandai's gonna lose me if all of their future MMS figures are as disappointing as this...
Last edited by {---HYPERZeTToN---} on Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gojirasaur
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojirasaur »

Wow. I feel like one of those guys who obliviously stepped out of the way before getting hit by a car. Well, almost...

Without seeing this Manda, which looks a bit SP-influenced rather than being FW-based (not meant to be Showa, is he???), I finally bit on a X-Plus Ultra Q Kairyu (Showa Manda) just a few days ago on Mandarake. While he wasn't at the lowest price I ever saw, he was a lot less than elsewhere right now. It just seems I picked the right time and I'm feeling pretty good about it. Now I have my fingers crossed for a SHMA with a similar/better Showa sculpt one day.

...and yeah, no fan of that Hedorah either.
Last edited by Gojirasaur on Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

Manda looks like something I would find in the kids section that would be labeled "dragon". Nothing special about it at all and Hedorah is alright but wouldn't go above and beyond to acquire it. With the quality of these figures I have low expectations going forward and I wouldn't be surprised if Ebirah is some Dollar Tree lobster and Baragon is a dog chew toy.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The only thing that gives me hope that Baragon and Ebirah may turn out better than this nonsense is that Bandai knows there's a large amount of hardcore older collectors that have been buying these toys for decades and have waited for these guys (especially Ebirah) for a very long time. I think that's why they went above and beyond with Varan (in terms of sculpt and size at least). They can half ass GFW monsters all they want, but I think dropping the ball in their first classic Ebirah figure would be a much bigger deal.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

It’s difficult to guess just *what* the Bandai team is thinking.

But I also still have hope for Ebirah and Baragon. The recent Varan and Godzilla ‘91 are both very nice. And the Gorosaurus, Battra, and Megaguirus are all very pleasing too even if they have minor nits that could be picked (Gorosaurus is a little small, Megaguirus’ sculpt is softer than the original - though I could easily see that being a safety/lawyer type of issue).

But overall each of those figures has a very nice or better sculpt and at least adequate paint (I’d argue Megaguirus, Gorosaurus, and G’91 all have excellent paint).

Oh, and I forgot the recent Megalon! Could’ve used a bit more paint but still a solid release.

So yeah, these latest reveals leave something to be desired, but I haven’t lost faith quite yet. I’d even argue the new Heisei MechaGodzillas real flaws are being too short and the lack of paint. But the sculpts look spectacular.
Last edited by canofhumdingers on Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Man, still so disappointed in Manda. I just hope that's a bad angle. He looks like an oddly proportioned Marmit or something. I think I figured out what bugs me about Hedorah too. That disgusting seam across his face. Just don't give it any head articulation! Varan, Battra, Megaguirus, and Gorosaurus are all really damn good figures. I guess a slip up was due.
Last edited by KingKaiju on Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

I don’t even think the Hedorah WILL have articulation at the head. That is almost certainly going to be a glued seam. Makes me wonder why the whole body isn’t just a single unit. I’d be pleasantly surprised if that thing’s head could swivel when it gets released but I’m expecting jointed arms and everything else to be glued down.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Really don't understand why Manda and Hedroah aren't the 4 inch "candy" GFW figure sculpts blown up to 6 inches.