Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

Post by _JNavs_ »

That is rough
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Well, there's some money I'll save. I'm that guy who actually likes Super Mechagodzilla and might have bought this thing if it came out well, but here we are.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:25 pm And this was the guy Bandai wanted to win the past two polls so badly. That's even more ironic.
They wanted him to win so they could get easy money with a subpar product.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

Petezilla wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:47 am (...)
Knowing BANDAI though, they'll announce a 'Movie Monster 700 Series' (because the downscaled Ultraman Monsters don't sell at 500 Yen anymore, too) and call it a day.
(...)
After seeing that tiny paint less Super Mechagodzilla size comparison photo, I think that we just got the first 700 release (considering its decreased scale and paint). With the difference being that it's still called 'Movie Monster Series' and sold for the same old price... X_X

Honestly, the only positive thing I can say about this... 'thing' right now is that might scale relatively well with their upcoming Heisei Ghidorah (Teenager Ver.) figure... :lol:
Size DOES matter!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Addressing multiple things one by one:

Camofhumdingers custom Shin: absolutely amazing. Probably on-at if not better than a lot of the "artistic figures" I collect.

SMG:
Even ignoring the issues of scale, would it have killed them to give the plasma grenade a little more detail? Just a little paint would do the trick, but really there should be another layer. Instead it just looks like an ugly silver belly button. Next, the tips of the Garuda cannons need a splash of paint just to make them stand out. Honestly, the color they picked for the paint is really ugly and looks too soft/geenric grey. Why on earth couldn't they just use the same paint they've been using for Kiryu? It's a shame because I will buy this...
Not proud, but my hands are tied. I have a feeling this is intended to scale with Kiryu but it's lame nonetheless.

See this reference photo for the small colorations that would make the figure a lot better:
Spoiler:
Next Ebirah:
I'm not too worried about Ebirah to be honest. Orange, silver and a splash of brown and red here and there will go a long way. Doubt it'll be the emerging from the water, but I could see it "standing" on it's legs and mid part of the tail.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

What REALLY gets me is the saggy Garuda cannons. These are going to look so damn cheap and wonky on the shelf line up. I have no idea how to perminetly fix this issue. Pretty bad my mind is already going directly to "How to make something work" mode. But I'm thinking toothpicks or a pin laying on the bottom to keep them from sagging. Just how to actually attach it without the use of tape, glue or poking a hole in the vinyl.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:13 pm Image

"Let me introduce you to me son, his name is Mecha."
Oof...that is..bad. My condolences to those who were hyped. Why in the hell is he so small?
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

I'll laugh uncontrollably if that Super (Tiny) Mechagodzilla is so small to secretly introduce a new and slightly smaller cost-effective (means profit-maximizing) size and all those upcoming Movie Monster Series figures will be as small as him... :lol:
Size DOES matter!

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:13 am What REALLY gets me is the saggy Garuda cannons. These are going to look so damn cheap and wonky on the shelf line up. I have no idea how to perminetly fix this issue. Pretty bad my mind is already going directly to "How to make something work" mode. But I'm thinking toothpicks or a pin laying on the bottom to keep them from sagging. Just how to actually attach it without the use of tape, glue or poking a hole in the vinyl.
He’s just suffering from a nasty case of Garudal dysfunction

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The reaction to this thing on my FB collectors group is hysterical. I wonder how many dealers who were planning in selling it for $60-$70 are going, "....shit"

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:40 am The reaction to this thing on my FB collectors group is hysterical. I wonder how many dealers who were planning in selling it for $60-$70 are going, "....shit"
Super Mechagodzilla is the new Xilien? ;)

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Well, I guess I will take my chances with the super 7 Mechagodzilla.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

The fact that it’s an exclusive they touted so proudly is what makes it even worse.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Creature22 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:42 am
Legion1979 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:40 am The reaction to this thing on my FB collectors group is hysterical. I wonder how many dealers who were planning in selling it for $60-$70 are going, "....shit"

What's the backstory behind this? I'm assuming the GFW Bandai was touted as going to be rare or something long ago?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:31 pm

What's the backstory behind this? I'm assuming the GFW Bandai was touted as going to be rare or something long ago?
I remember because I was barely 21 when it happened. Nobody wanted the Xilian and it shelf warmed. For the longest time. Other better figures came out in the line.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

StardustGenius wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:34 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:31 pm

I remember because I was barely 21 when it happened. Nobody wanted the Xilian and it shelf warmed. For the longest time. Other better figures came out in the line.
That explains why I was able to get it so cheaply, with a tag a few months ago for under 20$ and in near mint condition.

It’s a really strange figure, maybe the strangest. Why on earth would you make a Xillien figure, when you only see the full thing for a split second? Meanwhile tons of other GFW monsters were sorely missing bandais. Bizarre.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

And when I say "the longest time", I mean even many years after the release of Godzilla Final Wars. I remember when the first Monsterarts were starting to appear, and they still couldn't get rid of them.

Something like a Xilian would be WHY a store exclusive would be a thing. Reminds me of those Ultra alien figures.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

darthzilla99 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:27 pm Well, I guess I will take my chances with the super 7 Mechagodzilla.
I’ve been internally debating whether to go for the Bandai or the Super7. I know they’re not really the same thing but I have no Super MechaGodzilla in my collection and I was debating whether to go with the classic (and largest segment of my collection) and get the Bandai vinyl or to branch out and get the (hopefully) more fun Ultimates! figure. I had been leaning towards the Bandai b/c it’s cheaper, I enjoy painting (which it sorely needs lol) and I think the sculpt is more accurate.

But man, it’s a pretty disappointing figure, isn’t it?

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Edited an image provided on discord to show how the figure was downsized -- while the neck was slightly shortened, as were the hip jets, the vast majority of the downsizing was in the legs. The proportions of the upper body are similar if not improved.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

I know many on here are mostly into Godzilla & Gamera + some even collecting Ultraman.

But I just can't adress how Bandai surely destroyed the SS toyline.
It all started when they would only release the red Sentai member of a team with Zenkaiser and Don Momotaro, so you didn't even get the whole team, just the leader + the sixth member.

Now Bandai decided to shrink the line too (just like KR last year) and the sofubis look horrible. Don Momotaro wasn't only 5" he actually had some details and various paint apps.
But look at these:

I mean, Black looks kinda okayish as the vinyl doesn't look too glossy, but the others look like cheap candy toy variants you'd get in the small sofubi packs from Bandai where it's more about mass than class. But this is the main vinyl toy line. This is just sad.
Like seriously, would've loved to pick these up as there are rumors of kaijins getting vinyls too this year but I just can't. They cost the same as the UH/MS and look even worse...
Last edited by Dyrakro on Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.