Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 makes a great point about Bandai doing a decent attempt with Varan and then what they did with SMG might be in effort to get people to spend more on the SHMA version.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:07 pm Legion1979 makes a great point about Bandai doing a decent attempt with Varan and then what they did with SMG might be in effort to get people to spend more on the SHMA version.
I could post a wall of MMS Godzilla and Ultraman vinyls at my local Toys R Us, but I'm too lazy. While it's a nice theory, it neglects the fact that ultimately the bulk of these toys are vinyls meant to be purchased by Japanese youth, and are completely seperated from any sort of highend experience. I further don't see them trying to axe or drive people away from MMS considering the amount of them they're pumping out and all the new figures. People seem to be forgetting the good 10 years where barely anything new was released.

Last time I checked, we weren't due for a SHMA Gabara, 2004 Kamacuras, or Death Ghidorah anytime soon. If it turns out there's a trend with crap figures having miracuslously excellent SHMA stuff, then sure it's worth looking into, but as of right now it's just one crappy figure.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

I think that it could be a bit of both, but on the whole I agree that SMG's low quality sculpt seems like a one-time thing (pending the photos of whatever is coming in 2023 of course).

Bandai definitely seems more aware of their market and fan base now compared to in the early 2000s, and stuff like the G-Store contests are a good indicator that they're looking at the results to get an idea of what figures to produce next. It's a line centered for kids, I agree to that, but Bandai isn't disregarding that adults (and foreigners) buy them as well, as well as the fact that the Movie Monster Series is the signature "toy line" for the franchise. If anything, I think they're starting to catch on, which is good. I think that's why we're finally starting to get figures like Ebirah and Manda, but maybe that's just me being optimistic as well. In Legion's defense, they pulled a total surprise with their reveal of the Yuji Sakai-whatever-it's-called line, which is so out there and expensive it's almost tone deaf.

My theory regarding SMG is that the initial plan was for it to win the contest, and the mold was made ahead of schedule with whatever leftover budget there was for a "one-and-done" release. I think Gorosaurus winning might have made them realize the potential with using the contests for market research.
Last edited by Creature22 on Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I'm a huge fan of contests as a form of market research. It isn't hard for them to be manipulated, sure, but even the data that doesn't lead to an immediate result can be useful and taken note, and I think Bandai has illustrated this beautifully by continuing to pursue runner-up figures.

I think a trend I'm noticing here -- we've all kind of looked past the fact the new Gorosaurus was also shorter than the monster is supposed to be, he clearly stands to Godzilla's height in Destroy All Monsters. Goro and SMG were both undersized in terms of height... but Gorosaurus and Varan are both quite long and feel large as a result. It seems like Bandai has no trouble with making monsters longer, just taller. That's very curious.

Also half-considering if I found an extra SMG taking him apart at the waist to put him on a spare MG93 legs.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JVM wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:55 pm I think a trend I'm noticing here -- we've all kind of looked past the fact the new Gorosaurus was also shorter than the monster is supposed to be, he clearly stands to Godzilla's height in Destroy All Monsters. Goro and SMG were both undersized in terms of height... but Gorosaurus and Varan are both quite long and feel large as a result. It seems like Bandai has no trouble with making monsters longer, just taller. That's very curious.
Huh, Inever thought of height versus length. But you're right, pretty much we'd been dominated by LONG bois for the past few years: All the Shin Godzilla Stuff, All the SP Godzilla Forms, Manda (s)...

My god I think you're on to something.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gotschiller
Interpol Agent

Post by Gotschiller »

Hi!

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Manda and Hedorah don't look great, but especially Manda.

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

KingKaiju wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:27 am Manda and Hedorah don't look great, but especially Manda.
That's what I expected from FW Manda in the MMS line.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

OGMechaMothra wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:29 am
KingKaiju wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:27 am Manda and Hedorah don't look great, but especially Manda.
That's what I expected from FW Manda in the MMS line.
To be honest, while I wasn't expecting super X Plus levels of detail or anything, Varan gave me hope. I can do with poor paint, but poor sculpts hurt my heart. I was so excited too!

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Well these certainly... look toyetic. Almost cartoonish in the sculpt and paint.

I don't hate these to be honest, but I can already envision the disappointed comments. I would have liked Manda to not be completely straightened out but on the whole I'm looking forward to grabbing that one. Ironically more interested in Hedorah and Godzilla as well, which I was initially going to pass on.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:07 pm Legion1979 makes a great point about Bandai doing a decent attempt with Varan and then what they did with SMG might be in effort to get people to spend more on the SHMA version.
Wanting to force people to spend big bucks on an alternative version which is long out of print and only to be had 2nd hand would make absolutely 0 sense for BANDAI to do. So, I think Legions theory was meant more in general and not specifically related to the SMG case.
Size DOES matter!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Yeah, I am not too happy about Manda being a vinyl dildo like the SP one is. Hedorah looks... ok? I got the Y-MSF one en route also. I'll buy this one too 'cause it's cheap, but man. Legit looks like the old battle box/candy toy one blown up. I'll wait for comparison pics for GFW and MG before I decide to pull the trigger, but they don't look like a step up compared to the older 2000s sculpts... So... They may be a skip.

Also, first Spark Doll of the next batch!

Jirass-Telesdon (forget the actual name), Gigass and Red King II!
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

"Revived Red King" and Gigas look good at least! I'll have to see how these all look once they arrive in stores and more photos come out.
Last edited by Creature22 on Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

MG'93 looks like the SMG one without the Garuda, so likely it's as short.
FW Goji looks like the old 2005 mold, but with a newly sculpted head.
FW Hedorah looks... OK.
FW Mandan is... I mean, would it have killed them to put at least a LITTLE effort in this one...??

Baragon, Ebirah and Heisei Ghidorah release at a later point I assume?
Last edited by Petezilla on Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Size DOES matter!

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Seems like a waste of time and effort to purposely make super products just to make people buy a different toy line.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

Love the new UMS vinyls and looking forward to see whether Erimaki Telesdon will be shorter in size compared to regular Telesdon.

Also MMS G'04 looks quite nice. My old one barely has any paint on it after playing with it for years so getting a new one is quite a treat.
Hedorah is kinda okayish, looks a bit too toyish especially for how much the line improved with several molds over the years.
And Manda seems to strike some curves in it's pose but the head looks way too cartoonish. She looks quite thick to me, wonder how she will size compared to others.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Idk why but I do like the Manda, it’s cute. Not impressed with the Hedorah. I still have the old FW Goji so I’d rather not get another one but it still looks nice enough, same with the Mechagodzilla.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Glad I wasn't planning on buying these. But now I'm worried about Ebirah and Baragon.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

This wave seems very, very weak.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Lol they can keep those figures. The Manda was the one I was most interested in but looks kinda meh. Still tempted to have a 6 inch Mansa in my collection but I wonder if holding out for a Showa would be better.

Holding out now for Anguirus 55 and Desghidorah later this year if Bandai decides to make them.