Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Re: Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:19 am
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:44 am
Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:23 am Bandai is about to release a new 1991 Ghidorah, the design Toho seems to prefer. A 1964 Ghidorah isn't a given.
You don't think Bandai is lazy enough to just recycle the body of Heisei and give it some Showa wings, tails, and necks/heads?
Nah, I don't think they'd do that. In terms of sculpting Bandai has come far enough that a 1964 Ghidorah was be entirely new. They got away with it in 1991 back when their sculpting was more simplistic, but I don't see that happening now.
Meh. Yeah, you're probably right. Even so, he still isn't getting my vote here. Time for us Mogueraphiles to rise up.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I dont think Mogera stands a chance. It's either going to be Ghidorah, Biollante or something more recent.

As long as it isn't Gemstone Gigan.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:28 am I dont think Mogera stands a chance.
Well not with THAT attitude, gooosh.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:28 amAs long as it isn't Gemstone Gigan.
I almost feel like this is the one that will feel suspiciously pushed/forced ala the lines of Super MechaGodzilla, but I hope I’m wrong. Opinions on the design and special aside, it doesn’t look like ANYBODY wants that one to win, let alone expected it.

I can see Rose Biollante performing well, although I personally feel it’s kind of a bland choice. I had the battle box version for years though so I always felt that was a good stand in.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Rooting for Gemstone Gigan to see the chaos that unfolds
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:05 am I just want to reitterate Bandai's inability to properly do large scale kaiju like DesGhidorah would be. The thing would be absolutely tiny and its only strong suit MIGHT be the details of the sculpt. The paint and size would be absolutely horrendous next to the rest of the line. I'd love a new DesGhidorah figure, but MMS isn't the way to go for it. He's a Bandai Premium release like Dagahra easily.

BUUUUUUT if he wins, and I am wrong, I will gladly take it. This is one time I'd love to be wrong.
I think if Desghidorah wins, looking to the Mother Legion might be an idea of how they would scale it.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Lots of great poll choices this year. I think my number one choice would be Zilla and the rest as follows:

- Gabara
- Moguera 57
- Anguirus 55
- Titanosaurus
- Ghidorah 64
- Death Ghidorah
- Kamacuras 04
- Rose Biollante
- Gemstone Gigan

And the Kiwami line looks aggressively mediocre, especially with that obnoxious price tag.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:03 am And the Kiwami line looks aggressively mediocre, especially with that obnoxious price tag.
It reminds me of that "S.H.MonsterArts ZeroArts" idea that was talked about some years ago, where it'd be the same scale and detail of SHMA, just without the articulation. Can't say I'm into smaller non-articulated figures, especially for that price.

Interesting choices for the poll, at least!
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Anyone want to take bets in what will be the second of this Yuki Sakai line? His G2K? G'54? Burning Godzilla? Shin?

Quote of the Year:

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Yeah the new Kiwami line is underwhelming. I already have a Sakai sculpted, Bandai produced, 6 inch 1989 Godzilla. And it’s super duper articulated. ANNNNDD it cost less!

I might actually go for the line if the price was more reasonable. But it’s as much as a 25cm x plus, but 30% smaller.

All the regular mms stuff is awesome. I’d buy almost every figure on that poll!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

If you really wanted to excite people and possibly sucker them into this line they should have started with something outside the box. Starting right of the gate with the Godzilla suit EVERYONE starts with isn't helping. And that price for a 6" figure is inane.

And like MM said, their follow-ups will probably be more Godzillas everyone else has done to death.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

GigaBowserG wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:05 pm It reminds me of that "S.H.MonsterArts ZeroArts" idea that was talked about some years ago, where it'd be the same scale and detail of SHMA, just without the articulation. Can't say I'm into smaller non-articulated figures, especially for that price.

Interesting choices for the poll, at least!
I completely forgot about that and I wouldn't be surprised if this was just that but retooled for MMS instead.
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:08 pm Anyone want to take bets in what will be the second of this Yuki Sakai line? His G2K? G'54? Burning Godzilla? Shin?
My money's on 54 or Shin.

Followed swiftly by the line's soft discontinuation as sales slow to a crawl. :D
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:16 pm
Followed swiftly by the line's soft discontinuation as sales slow to a crawl. :D
That's prolly going to be the case straight out the gate. I have yet to see anyone even vaguely interested or excited for this.

Quote of the Year:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:18 pm
That's prolly going to be the case straight out the gate. I have yet to see anyone even vaguely interested or excited for this.
I was unironically more interested in those Godzilla tape dispensers they showed off at the beginning of the stream than these, lol

Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

That tape.dispenser is neat. Definitely form over function. But neat.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:20 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:18 pm
I was unironically more interested in those Godzilla tape dispensers they showed off at the beginning of the stream than these, lol

That’s fun! I still want to get the Godzilla Kleenex dispenser!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:28 am I dont think Mogera stands a chance. It's either going to be Ghidorah, Biollante or something more recent.

As long as it isn't Gemstone Gigan.
I mean both Gorosaurus and Varan beat the likes of countless MechaGodzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah counterparts in the past, so…
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

GigaBowserG wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:05 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:03 am And the Kiwami line looks aggressively mediocre, especially with that obnoxious price tag.
It reminds me of that "S.H.MonsterArts ZeroArts" idea that was talked about some years ago, where it'd be the same scale and detail of SHMA, just without the articulation. Can't say I'm into smaller non-articulated figures, especially for that price.
I had completely forgotten about that teased line. You're right!

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

If Moguera wins that’s gonna be a huge dub for Mogueraphiles everywhere.

Not stoked about this new subline. The sculpt is immaculate but that’s not the issue— the price is insane. As others in the thread have mentioned, it’s an equivalent price to SHMA but lacks the articulation. It might be able to carve a niche by making less popular kaiju with superb detail, but that is a BIG “might.” I don’t see it surviving very long since it’s got to compete with the main MMS figures and SHMA. While part of me is interested, it’s just too pricey to justify what it is.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Yeah honestly, calming myself down a bit from my Godzilla 1989 high, I might just end up skipping this. Im pretty happy with my bootleg Kaiyodo 89. It fits in a lot better with the Bandai figures than this one ever will.

And call me weird, but I really want Gemstone Gigan. Not my favorite on this list, but the standard gigan design in those shorts was cool as hell, way cooler than the red one.
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Executive Hamster wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:25 pm Yeah honestly, calming myself down a bit from my Godzilla 1989 high, I might just end up skipping this. Im pretty happy with my bootleg Kaiyodo 89. It fits in a lot better with the Bandai figures than this one ever will.
If there were a "like" button on TK I'd be mashing it on your post!