"Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Post by StardustGenius »

I got an interesting assumption from fellow fans!

Titra dubbed ALL the Showa movies!

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

I got a few funny entries that I personally encountered over the years.

- One of my older cousins thought Godzilla was never a man in a suit, but rather a huge robotic weapon of war covered in rubber skin that was actually destroying Japanese cities in real life.

- A childhood friend insisted that King Kong was an unlockable secret character in Godzilla: Unleashed for PS2.

- Someone in high school insisted to me that Gamera is a Godzilla monster and had to have faced him because "every giant monster is a Godzilla monster and has to fight him".

- One guy I know on Discord when he found out I was a Godzilla fan said "I loved seeing Godzilla: 2000 in theaters back in the day, you know the one with Matthew Broderick? God it was fun and Godzilla had that dragon-like face and crystal spikes plus Matthew Broderick and Jean Reno fought his babies", I had to explain to him that he was mixing up Godzilla (1998) with Godzilla: Millennium/2000 because both came out only two years apart so he was definitely mandela effecting them into one movie based on his experience seeing both when they came out.

I'll add more when I remember them.
Last edited by AllosaurHell on Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

G.H.B
Interpol Agent

Post by G.H.B »

One of my mom’s numerous boy toys thought Godzilla was hermaphroditic and reproduced through asexual reproduction because of Minilla. This was a good four years before G98 and decades before Shin and Planet of Monsters established this could be an actual possibility, so maybe he was actually onto something. Congrats Greg. You crazy German bastard.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

I'm astonished how many people actually believe that older kaiju films featured "cardboard buildings." I corrected more than one person on this in my college years, telling them that the miniature sets were actually quite intricate and most certainly not constructed from cardboard. One guy still insisted that he had seen "at least one movie" where rubber lizards destroy obvious cardboard buildings and I told him that must've been some Z-grade American sci-fi movie that I've never watched. I think of all the common non-fan-assumptions, this one irks me the most. Especially because people who shit on tokusatsu will inevitably turn around and praise late 90s/early 2000s movies with absolutely atrocious CGI like Spider-Man and The Mummy.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:48 am I'm astonished how many people actually believe that older kaiju films featured "cardboard buildings." I corrected more than one person on this in my college years, telling them that the miniature sets were actually quite intricate and most certainly not constructed from cardboard. One guy still insisted that he had seen "at least one movie" where rubber lizards destroy obvious cardboard buildings and I told him that must've been some Z-grade American sci-fi movie that I've never watched. I think of all the common non-fan-assumptions, this one irks me the most. Especially because people who shit on tokusatsu will inevitably turn around and praise late 90s/early 2000s movies with absolutely atrocious CGI like Spider-Man and The Mummy.
This. The buildings are so obviously not made out of cardboard, one wonders how this rumor started. And it's obvious that people who parrot such responses are attempting to insult the films.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The cardboard buildings thing has been around for decades. At this point its never going to go away.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:48 am I'm astonished how many people actually believe that older kaiju films featured "cardboard buildings." I corrected more than one person on this in my college years, telling them that the miniature sets were actually quite intricate and most certainly not constructed from cardboard. One guy still insisted that he had seen "at least one movie" where rubber lizards destroy obvious cardboard buildings and I told him that must've been some Z-grade American sci-fi movie that I've never watched. I think of all the common non-fan-assumptions, this one irks me the most. Especially because people who shit on tokusatsu will inevitably turn around and praise late 90s/early 2000s movies with absolutely atrocious CGI like Spider-Man and The Mummy.
Yes, but neither Spider-Man nor The Mummy featured cardboard buildings.

Curious.

*Ben Shapiro face*
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Not true but I wish it was.

Godzilla was trained in martial arts by Chuck Norris :lol:
For Emperor and Empire!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Voyager wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:27 pm Not true but I wish it was.

Godzilla was trained in martial arts by Chuck Norris :lol:
Godzilla: Tokyo Ranger
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.