"Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Spuro
Keizer

Re: Interesting Assumptions You've Heard

Post by Spuro »

I remember there was one kid in my Grade 10 class who was positive that Godzilla movies invented tentacle monsters.

*shrugs* I don't get it either. He was a weird kid anyway.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

That Godzilla ALWAYS destroys Tokyo and that Godzilla always dies (we just talked about this in the Pacific Rim thread so they are fresh in my mind).
Last edited by GodzillaSpawn on Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

One stereotype or assumption I hear is that Godzilla is meant for Children. In the late 60s and early 70s that may have been true but it doesn't characterize the entire franchise.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

demoylition
Interpol Agent

Post by demoylition »

The assumption that godzilla is bright green. People must be color blind or something
Last edited by demoylition on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow Arena: 2 win 1 loss

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

One I've heard from nonfans is that Godzilla never loses. They need a word with Mothra.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

Biollante has the fastest regeneration of any kaiju. I mean, it's not a prop inconstancy, right?

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

That hes a man in a rubber suit. Such a silly thing to assume!
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Living Corpse wrote:"Why is he called King of the Monsters when he dies in every film?"
How did they come to the conclusion that he dies after every movie???
ImageImage

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Man it irritates me when people go "Wow cardboard buildings! So cheap! Haha, zippers!"

Theres no point in explaning that the buildings are made more intriquetly than just "cardboard" and that the suits dont have zippers, but you'd might as well be talking to a brick wall.
ImageImage

Godzillabrawler
Monarch Researcher

Post by Godzillabrawler »

That Godzilla breathes fire. Like "fire" fire. This is more of annoying assumption than an interesting one.
"There's two things you don't know about the Earth. One is me. And the other is... Godzilla."

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I know its been a while, but the subject is very similiar to this thread:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... f=1&t=2312
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Terrier
JXSDF Technician

Post by Terrier »

Malchik wrote:Biollante has the fastest regeneration of any kaiju. I mean, it's not a prop inconstancy, right?
Actually, after Biollante gets her back destroyed and before it is shown to be fine again, I'm sure there is a scenne where some kind of orange light comes from her core and covers her body for a few seconds; I think the three scennes are meant to be connected, showing that Biollante can regenerate this time.

I once asked in a dvd/blu-ray store if they had any Godzilla/giant monster movies, one of the guys commented on the american remake, wich they didn't have at the moment, but the other one said something about me looking for the "grade-Z" ones... I'm sure at least the early showa movies had a repsectable budget...

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terrier wrote:
Malchik wrote:Biollante has the fastest regeneration of any kaiju. I mean, it's not a prop inconstancy, right?
Actually, after Biollante gets her back destroyed and before it is shown to be fine again, I'm sure there is a scenne where some kind of orange light comes from her core and covers her body for a few seconds; I think the three scennes are meant to be connected, showing that Biollante can regenerate this time.

I once asked in a dvd/blu-ray store if they had any Godzilla/giant monster movies, one of the guys commented on the american remake, wich they didn't have at the moment, but the other one said something about me looking for the "grade-Z" ones... I'm sure at least the early showa movies had a repsectable budget...
They did, indeed.

Also, "grade-Z" is a derivation of the term "grade-B," which is a misinterpretation of the term "B-movie," as the "B" referred not to quality (as in a grading scale), but to position in a double bill. In other words, the term he used meaningless.

So that fellow was just proudly declaring his ignorance on multiple fronts. Good of him to do everyone the service.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terrier
JXSDF Technician

Post by Terrier »

He didn't mean bad, he just showed that he knew what I was looking for, even if he didn't know a lot about it. Better than suggesting the new 'Crash of Titans' or 'The Incredible Hulk' out of other ideas.

Can't say the same about others. People who saw the american remake at some point, even if not really fond of it, may assume it's a better alternative over the japanesse ones they barely know about, maybe having an idea based on the Hannah Barbera cartoon or 'Power Rangers', assuming that that remake has all the pros of being "realistic", "beliavable", and "serious" and stuff compared to them...

I think we all have been there...

About o.supreme's thread, I think that one is for personal assumptions, while this one is about assumptions from other people, especially those not really into these kind of movies.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

"Godzilla is the basis for all anime."
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

That Toho is like Japan's 20th Century Fox. I've also heard some people say Godzilla, Gamera and Ultraman were all produced by the same company.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

I did a speech on Godzilla in my speech class (redundant?) and one girl thought King Kong and Godzilla had switched names. Said she thought Godzilla was the giant monkey. Also other assumptions such as him being green and breathing actual fire.

darkgodzilla2069
Yojimbo

Re: Interesting Assumptions You've Heard From Non Fans

Post by darkgodzilla2069 »

people say godzilla is only for losers in high school. :roll:
in the loving memory of my father
call me zak

knockinrockin
G-Grasper

Post by knockinrockin »

That Godzilla gave birth to Minilla, and that Godzilla is a girl...
DeadpoolsbetterThanU wrote:
Orgasmatron wrote:we finally tried anal and she said she would have it again
Now you live up to that user name of yours!

Shadow wrote:
Chris55 wrote:5'1
640lbs

:lol: Wow, you should get outside sometime, that's if you get fit through the door.

darkgodzilla2069
Yojimbo

Post by darkgodzilla2069 »

yep drep
in the loving memory of my father
call me zak