"Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Eel221
GPN Volunteer

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Post by Eel221 »

King Ghidorah is Zmey Gorynych, a three headed dragon from slavic myths. It's Ghidorah's "Godzilla is green" in specific countries. In same countries people also think that Godzilla is female due to language rules, shitty dubs, Godzilla 1998 and any movie where he had a child.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

VoyagerGoji wrote:Godzilla being a mutated lizard. G98 can go away for this one.
GINO legitimized this in a way, but it wasn’t uncommon to hear “mutated lizard” before then. Even some of the Hong Kong dubs commissioned by Toho have characters (sarcastically?) refer to Godzilla as a lizard.

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Terasawa wrote:
VoyagerGoji wrote:Godzilla being a mutated lizard. G98 can go away for this one.
GINO legitimized this in a way, but it wasn’t uncommon to hear “mutated lizard” before then. Even some of the Hong Kong dubs commissioned by Toho have characters (sarcastically?) refer to Godzilla as a lizard.
Most of those I don't mind since it's clearly meant to be the characters referring to Godzilla in a derogatory fashion.

Also, not a fan of people misidentifying Godzilla as a mutated T-Rex either.
Resized Image

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

I had an acquaintance a few years back whose only experience with Godzilla was watching "Ghidrah the Three-Headed Monster" when he was about five years old. He mistakenly believed Godzilla to be a golden monster with three heads.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote:
Also, not a fan of people misidentifying Godzilla as a mutated T-Rex either.
I read an article by a paleontologist that puts Godzilla closer to the Ceratosaur family.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Also, not a fan of people misidentifying Godzilla as a mutated T-Rex either.
This one is totally understandable, though. The paleontologist in KKvG speculates something similar to this, Reptar in Rugrats is stated to be a mutant T. rex, Godzillasaurus in GvKG was never named on-screen and could easily be assumed to be a T. rex, and besides all of that it's simply an easy conclusion to reach. He looks like a retrosaur T. rex with plates on his back.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

So two family members just learned King Ghidorah is evil and "I don't like him anymore" "why do people like him?".

So yeah, make of that what you will.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

That Zigra is a Godzilla series kaiju and Ebirah is a Gamera kaiju.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Screen Rant assuming Gyaos was a Godzilla Monster.

I heard my little brother say “What’s the movie where Frankenstein fights Anguirus?”

Apparently Baragon is Anguirus.
Last edited by Voyager on Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

VoyagerGoji wrote:Screen Rant assuming Gyaos was a Godzilla Monster.

I heard my little brother say “What’s the movie where Frankenstein fights Anguirus?”

Apparently Baragon is Anguirus.
Hilarity is even when SR tried to back track and correct themselves, they only made it worse when essecially claiming Gyaos was a Gamera kaiju who's also been in many Godzilla films.

Well quadrupeds with horns I suppose.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Desghidorah wrote: Hilarity is even when SR tried to back track and correct themselves, they only made it worse when essecially claiming Gyaos was a Gamera kaiju who's also been in many Godzilla films.
Wait seriously? Holy shit I'm not sure whether to laugh or cringe.
Resized Image

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

VoyagerGoji wrote:Screen Rant assuming Gyaos was a Godzilla Monster.
They're probably the same type of channel that puts spoilers into the thumbnail and title from the sounds of it.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote:
Desghidorah wrote: Hilarity is even when SR tried to back track and correct themselves, they only made it worse when essecially claiming Gyaos was a Gamera kaiju who's also been in many Godzilla films.
Wait seriously? Holy poop I'm not sure whether to laugh or cringe.
Yep. Omni-Viewer summarized it all quite well in a video he made. SR kept shooting itself in the foot by proving it couldn't bother with a 5 minute wikipedia search.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

One assumption that I heard from a non G-Fan is that Godzilla (1954) is actually the reincarnation of Japanese WW2 soldiers. “Evidence’ of this is that Godzilla destroys every building in Tokyo except the Imperial Palace, showing that the spirits are still loyal to the emperor.
For Emperor and Empire!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

If this non fan has seen GMK, that could be confusing them.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Kinda nuts that this thread has been quiet for so long.

I ran into one the other day. I was talking to a guy who's only seen the MV and G98. He was aware of the hatred for GINO, but thought that version of the character had been renamed 'Shin Godzilla.' I don't know where he got that from, but it seems like an easy enough conclusion to stumble into via YouTube thumbnails or whatever. I wonder how common that idea is among casuals and GA types.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

I had a classmate who was completely unaware that Godzilla was of Japanese origins. He believed that Godzilla (2014) was a remake of Godzilla (1998) and tried to argue with me that it wasn't faithful to the source material... if irony could kill, right? His reaction when I told him there were 22 Japanese Godzilla movies even before G98 came out was pretty priceless.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Gojira 41mk11
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojira 41mk11 »

When the Godzilla vs Kong trailer first came out, I posted a video highlighting the few frames in it which show Mechagodzilla's head and neck. After the video started gaining traction an oddly large amount of people popped up in my comments to tell me that there's no such thing as a Mechagodzilla.
Last edited by Gojira 41mk11 on Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:Gigan: Gigan <3 :Gigan:
But Gigan is a villain that prove you support only villain not hero
Wrong. The current MonsterVerse films are “kaka”. At least these classic Showa kaiju films ain’t WOKE!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

A friend of mine saw the last part of GMK where Godzilla fights Mothra and KG. He saw Mothra fire off stingers and assumed Mothra was a giant wasp or hornet.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I mean MonsterVerse looks even more like a wasp and also has a stinger. So if they're the only two movies he sees I'm sure that wouldn't help his misconception.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983