"Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Post by Vatarian »

Living Corpse wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Redlettermedia's Comic con video has Mike ask if King of The Monsters is a sequel to Godzilla 2014.
Apparently, he was confused because of all the canons but still a pretty weird question
I several people I know asked if King of the Monsters is an American film while watching the trailer. All of them have seen G2014 and KSI.

I'm so confused by their confusion.
*leans in close*

The average person has ceased to see cinema as a form of storytelling and communication of ideas, and has come to parse movies, especially monster movies, as substance-less spectacle. The average viewer does not digest or analyze what they’re viewing.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Vatarian wrote:
*leans in close*

The average person has ceased to see cinema as a form of storytelling and communication of ideas, and has come to parse movies, especially monster movies, as substance-less spectacle. The average viewer does not digest or analyze what they’re viewing.
Heyyyyy this is Toho Kingdom , not Nat Geo Wild. :P

JAGzilla wrote:I'd like to flip this issue around and point out that these people seem to be aware that Godzilla even has non-American movies and multiple continuities, and assume that it's possible for Japan to produce a movie that looks as good as G:KOTM. I'd look at those as good points.
Definitely. It's G Fans - general audience, so win win.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

JAGzilla wrote:I'd like to flip this issue around and point out that these people seem to be aware that Godzilla even has non-American movies and multiple continuities, and assume that it's possible for Japan to produce a movie that looks as good as G:KOTM. I'd look at those as good points.
His design hasn't changed that much from the 2014 film.
Vatarian wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Redlettermedia's Comic con video has Mike ask if King of The Monsters is a sequel to Godzilla 2014.
Apparently, he was confused because of all the canons but still a pretty weird question
I several people I know asked if King of the Monsters is an American film while watching the trailer. All of them have seen G2014 and KSI.

*leans in close*

It doesn't take "leet" eyes to tell this is a western film. :roll:
Last edited by BlankAccount on Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

Living Corpse wrote:
His design hasn't changed that much from the 2014 film.
Vatarian wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:

*leans in close*

It doesn't take "leet" eyes to tell this is a western film. :roll:
People are.... how u say..... stupid.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Alternatively, we could acknowledge the fact that these people have presumably never seen a Japanese Godzilla film (how dare they, I know), and therefore have no reason to know what he looks like in non-Legendary incarnations. Also, come on. Expecting them to have details like that memorized is asking for a lot. Most people don't have our level of religious devotion to sci-fi monsters.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

It's not hard to believe that people can be confused guys. Two American Godzilla films along with Godzilla being a well known Japanese character will leave some people wondering if it's an American film or a sequel to 98

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Also, the trailer features multiple recognizable American actors (okay, MBB is English), clearly speaking lines in English.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Well, The Green Slime, Latitude Zero and Virus were all Japanese productions featuring a mostly English-speaking cast... ;)
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Also, the production company is American. All those pieces put together, you'd think people would get the picture. Most people, though, associate Godzilla more with Japan.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GojiDude95
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiDude95 »

It has "Murica" written all over the trailer.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

I heard some guy say that Godzilla breathes fire. WTF can you believe that?!
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:I heard some guy say that Godzilla breathes fire. WTF can you believe that?!
Really?! I met someone who didn't even know that he's an allegory for nukyalur energy. Fucking general audiences.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

I saw someone who thought he was called "Godzilla". It's Gojira you moron!
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

My niece thought King Kong and Donkey Kong are one and the same. She's 21 and has played the Donkey Kong games, and watched the King Kong films.

BlacktimusPrime
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlacktimusPrime »

Smuggers wrote:I saw someone who thought he was called "Godzilla". It's Gojira you moron!
I see what you did there.
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.
Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

[Redacted]
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

That’s nothing, before I let anyone into my circle, I always ask how many fingers Godzilla has, can you believe none of them ever guess the right answer?! Needless to say I don’t have many pleebs friends.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

The fact that people think he’s green makes me mad. ALSO Godzilla is always a bad guy.
For Emperor and Empire!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

VoyagerGoji wrote:The fact that people think he’s green makes me mad.
Hanna-Barbera Godzilla and Mire/Giragoji would like to know your location.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Godzilla being a mutated lizard. G98 can go away for this one.
For Emperor and Empire!