The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

There's 13 so pick 6

Alien (1979)
19%
Aliens (1986)
14%
Predator (1987)
16%
Predator 2 (1990)
10%
Alien³ (1992)
4%
Alien Resurrection (1997)
4%
Alien vs. Predator (2004)
8%
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)
2%
Predators (2010)
4%
Prometheus (2012)
4%
Alien Covenant (2017)
3%
The Predator (2018)
No votes
Prey (2022)
14%

Total votes: 114

Spuro
Keizer

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Post by Spuro »

Giratina93 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:01 pm
Spuro wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:45 pm
Greyshot151 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:00 pm Oh, that's terrible! I'm sorry to hear. Hopefully he can find a solid version, somewhere.
Thanks, Greyshot. I hope so too...
https://www.disneyplusinformer.com/20th ... ed-canada/

Well, good news is it will be on Disney+ for Canada. Now if it'll be locked behind a further paywall, I dunno, but at least it's there.
Yay. Thanks for remembering Canada, Disney.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Nice, I recently got Hulu through my university and spotify. I'll definitely be watching this. Can't believe I'm saying that.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

It was announcements that I heard from my friend that there’s gonna be another alien game called aliens dark descent. And it’s another top down shooter

yay

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Still waiting on an open world Predator game taking place on several planets where you can hunt and build your own tribe. :cry:
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Trailer for the ALIENS:Dark Descent video game. bursting out of consoles next year(2023).
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

What other time periods could they take the Predator franchise in? Pre-industrial Sub-Saharan Africa? Or why not the Viking era?

The One and Only
Futurian

ALIENS:Fire Team trailer for the expansion pack, PATHOGEN.
LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:16 pm What other time periods could they take the Predator franchise in? Pre-industrial Sub-Saharan Africa? Or why not the Viking era?
All sound good. Thirty years of extended universe tales I having a hard time a coming up with new idears that haven't been done in the mags ,and novels. But have yet to be done in the movies. One setting, story for the ALIENS franchise I'd like to see adapted is John Byrne's story, ALIENS:Earth Angel where the Xenomorph ends up causing trouble in a small town in the 1950's. Heck, if I was the one who made it it'd be filmed in black and white.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

As someone who's never watched his movies, what kind of director is Fede Álvarez? Are his films anything good, mediocre, or just plain bad? Does he have a hand in writing his films, or does he just do the directing?

Considering he's directing a new 'Alien' film and me being a rather picky fan of the franchise, I want to know what to expect.
Last edited by ShinGojira14 on Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:35 am As someone who's never watched his movies, what kind of director is Fede Álvarez? Are his films anything good, mediocre, or just plain bad? Does he have a hand in writing his films, or does he just do the directing?

Considering he's directing a new 'Alien' film and me being a rather picky fan of the franchise, I want to know what to expect.
It's going to be violent as all hell.

And I'm in.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:35 am As someone who's never watched his movies, what kind of director is Fede Álvarez? Are his films anything good, mediocre, or just plain bad? Does he have a hand in writing his films, or does he just do the directing?

He has a hand in writing his films.

And like MM said, it'll likely be very violent.

The problem of course is that he's very hit or miss, and when he whiffs, it's bad.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

NSZ wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:56 pm

He has a hand in writing his films.

And like MM said, it'll likely be very violent.

The problem of course is that he's very hit or miss, and when he whiffs, it's bad.
At least he does have a good track record with established franchises. I was against his Evil Dead reboot, but once seeing it... Loved every damn second of it. I think with a franchise like Alien, his heart and mind will be all in the right place. At least I hope.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

The One and Only
Futurian

New spot for PREY.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Well...it's quite obvious they went in the complete opposite direction for how the mandibles are supposed to be. Oh well, that was expected. I'll still give it a watch though. Everything else is looking fine atleast.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Would anyone be opposed to a Predator film taking place during WW2?

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

He directed ''Don't breathe'' which was a good movie, and the 2013 Evil Dead Reboot which I personally thought was great. He also i believe directed some episodes of the ''From Dusk Till Dawn'' TV series which was meh over-all.

He does good with small budgets and his visual style and gore should fit Alien fine, it's the script that' going to make or break it. I can not find detail if he's the only writer or if there's another whom it maybe.

I just read Ridley Scott is ''rumored'' as producer so if that's true that kinda kills my expectations because he needs to stay the hell away from Alien after those 2 god awful prequels.

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:06 pm Would anyone be opposed to a Predator film taking place during WW2?
No, I actually think it's a great idea to have each predator movie take place in different time periods and locations. Makes each movie feel fresh and it's own unique tale.... You could even use the same predator for multiple films to show how it evolves from each time period.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:36 pm I just read Ridley Scott is ''rumored'' as producer so if that's true that kinda kills my expectations because he needs to stay the hell away from Alien after those 2 god awful prequels.
To be fair, those were the studious' fault. They interfered a lot with those films and the stories Ridley wanted to tell.

I personally think Prometheus was overall good (significantly better than Alien 3 or Resurrection), and Alien: Covenant was...okay. Though both films did do some things that rubbed me the wrong way.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^I also think the director of A Quiet Place would make a good director for and Alien film.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:06 pm Would anyone be opposed to a Predator film taking place during WW2?
As long as it isn't historically insensitive like some history-based films can be, I would be all for that idea.

Hell, I want multiple Predator movies taking place across multiple periods in human history. There's an ass-ton of untapped story potential with such lore, and Prey could be the perfect green light.

Added in 1 minute 45 seconds:
LegendZilla wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:41 pm ^I also think the director of A Quiet Place would make a good director for and Alien film.
Haven't seen that film. Is it a less-is-more type of movie? Or is it just another example of on-screen, gnarly-ass kills?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The creatures in A Quiet Place aren't shown in full until the final act.

I think a "hero" predator during WW2 would be interesting, by hero I mean kinda like Wolf in AvPR. A Predator ship crash lands and is discovered by Nazis who are attempting to reverse engineer their technology to get them an upper hand in the war. A lone Predator is dispatched to Earth to try and keep their technology out of human hands. Meanwhile a ragtag band of Allied soldiers stumble across the Nazi operation, attempting to infiltrate the base and destroy it. Or maybe the soldiers were sent there on purpose. Either way could work.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:57 pm
I think a "hero" predator during WW2 would be interesting, by hero I mean kinda like Wolf in AvPR. A Predator ship crash lands and is discovered by Nazis who are attempting to reverse engineer their technology to get them an upper hand in the war. A lone Predator is dispatched to Earth to try and keep their technology out of human hands. Meanwhile a ragtag band of Allied soldiers stumble across the Nazi operation, attempting to infiltrate the base and destroy it. Or maybe the soldiers were sent there on purpose. Either way could work.
That sounds like such a cool concept and now I want to see it on the big screen!

It could also be interesting to visit an alien world (again) with a Predator. This is a weird idea, but maybe a human and a rogue Predator have to work together and survive on some world as they’re being hunted by other Preds. I realize that less is more with the Yautja, but I would love to see a character driven twist on the Predator as a concept.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image