The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

There's 13 so pick 6

Alien (1979)
19%
Aliens (1986)
14%
Predator (1987)
16%
Predator 2 (1990)
10%
Alien³ (1992)
4%
Alien Resurrection (1997)
4%
Alien vs. Predator (2004)
8%
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)
2%
Predators (2010)
4%
Prometheus (2012)
4%
Alien Covenant (2017)
3%
The Predator (2018)
No votes
Prey (2022)
14%

Total votes: 114

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Post by LegendZilla »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:57 pm The creatures in A Quiet Place aren't shown in full until the final act.

I think a "hero" predator during WW2 would be interesting, by hero I mean kinda like Wolf in AvPR. A Predator ship crash lands and is discovered by Nazis who are attempting to reverse engineer their technology to get them an upper hand in the war. A lone Predator is dispatched to Earth to try and keep their technology out of human hands. Meanwhile a ragtag band of Allied soldiers stumble across the Nazi operation, attempting to infiltrate the base and destroy it. Or maybe the soldiers were sent there on purpose. Either way could work.
What would a good title for such a movie? Maybe something like Hunting is War. Also, expanding on Shin's post, what other time periods should the Predators appear in?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I'd say a movie set during the Crusades but Prey seems to act like it's their first excursion to Earth. Or maybe set during Spain's invasion of Central America. Set it up as the basis for the legend mentioned in the original film. Of course a Vietnam set Predator film is a pretty obvious,
and likely inevitable, setup.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:14 pm I'd say a movie set during the Crusades but Prey seems to act like it's their first excursion to Earth. Or maybe set during Spain's invasion of Central America. Set it up as the basis for the legend mentioned in the original film. Of course a Vietnam set Predator film is a pretty obvious,
and likely inevitable, setup.
How about Japan in the late Tokugawa era? If anything, I think they should try with a Terminator film set in the Middle Ages.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Predator: 300

Who doesn't wanna' see Spartans fighting a Pred?

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:53 am Predator: 300

I would be for it, but unfortunately they are trying to claim that the 1700's is officially the first time the species appeared on Earth.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I think the director has stated this is the first time this new Feral Predator has hunted on Earth, not the entire species. From what I've seen, this being the "first hunt ever" is a marketing gimmick. I could be wrong though.

I'm excited, a day away from the release. My tribe has been promoting this film locally, it's good to see a bigger film for Native Americans to unite on. Plus the new season of Reservation Dogs this week! A great time for us.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

94% on RT with 89 reviews. Wasn't expecting that reception. IGN gave it 8/10.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Seeing all the positive reviews is good. Can't wait to see it, even if I'm not crazy about this new Predator's appearence.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:53 am Predator: 300

That'd be pretty badass.

Also, Predator in the Ice Age would be rad as hell.

Added in 18 minutes 53 seconds:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:26 pmPlus the new season of Reservation Dogs this week! A great time for us.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:57 pm The creatures in A Quiet Place aren't shown in full until the final act.

I think a "hero" predator during WW2 would be interesting, by hero I mean kinda like Wolf in AvPR. A Predator ship crash lands and is discovered by Nazis who are attempting to reverse engineer their technology to get them an upper hand in the war. A lone Predator is dispatched to Earth to try and keep their technology out of human hands. Meanwhile a ragtag band of Allied soldiers stumble across the Nazi operation, attempting to infiltrate the base and destroy it. Or maybe the soldiers were sent there on purpose. Either way could work.
I would definitely watch that. WWII is a great setting.

My own personal setting would be a post apocalyptic one, with mutant freaks and monsters. A Predator returns to Earth about 10 years after human society falls, and begins hunting a group of survivors since he deems them worthy prey to still be alive in such a horrible world.
Last edited by Maverick Centigrade on Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Spoiler:
For everyone who wanted to see a Predator vs bear fight… … …
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Just finished it.

Had an absolute blast. And at barely an hour and a half, it moves at a decent pace without getting bogged down or overstaying its welcome.
Last edited by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 on Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

I haven't seen it yet, probably tomorrow or Sunday. But I did see a image of the new Predator unmasked.

Yikes...very badly designed. Which is a shame since the Predator itself looks so badass in all the footage. But you GOTTA get the face right.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Just finished watching it, and I say it's probably the best since the original. Easily an 8.5/10.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Prey was fantastic. I absolutely loved how they balanced the pacing of the story and how focused it was. A great script that knew how to tell an exciting Predator story with a good protagonist. Definitely one to check out, it’s leaps and bounds better than The Predator from 2018. I was worried it would be another disaster, but it’s one of the best in the series imo.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^I just finished watching Prey too and If they can salvage the Predator franchise, they can with Alien as well. Same goes for literally every franchise. Based on what we just got, anyone care to speculate what storyline hypothetical new Alien entry could follow? As for its title, they could try leaving out "Alien" like how Prey did with Predator and call such a film Space.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Prey was enjoyable, I have a few nitpicks but otherwise easily the best Predator movie since Predator 2 possibly surpassing it I will have to re-watch both again to decide.

I know to some that may not be saying much, but it's nice to see some quality brought back to Predator series especially after the 2018 atrocity.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I very much enjoyed Prey, loved the lead, her brother, and the dog. The Predator was sick, but like someone else said the face just didn’t do it for me.

I don’t know why modern Predator films keep trying to make Predators “uglier”. The first 2 were ugly in a classic way, then AVP messed up, AVPR redeemed the face, Predators brought in a whole pirate branch of drug abusing predators which was acceptable, then The Predator… I don’t even know what happened there, They all looked horrendous.

The design of the most recent installment is the least… offensive? Of the recent films, but god I wish they’d stop using so much CGI, go back to practical and MIX it with CG if that’s the idea.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:00 am I very much enjoyed Prey, loved the lead, her brother, and the dog. The Predator was sick, but like someone else said the face just didn’t do it for me.

I don’t know why modern Predator films keep trying to make Predators “uglier”. The first 2 were ugly in a classic way, then AVP messed up, AVPR redeemed the face, Predators brought in a whole pirate branch of drug abusing predators which was acceptable, then The Predator… I don’t even know what happened there, They all looked horrendous.

The design of the most recent installment is the least… offensive? Of the recent films, but god I wish they’d stop using so much CGI, go back to practical and MIX it with CG if that’s the idea.
Truly, the key to making a good Predator face is so easy. Yet recently it's almost like they intentionally want to make it dreadful. There is so much good reference material out there.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:39 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:00 am I very much enjoyed Prey, loved the lead, her brother, and the dog. The Predator was sick, but like someone else said the face just didn’t do it for me.

Truly, the key to making a good Predator face is so easy. Yet recently it's almost like they intentionally want to make it dreadful. There is so much good reference material out there.
I gotta wonder what the reason is for doing that. Are they intentionally showing “diversity” within the species, or do they just want their own designs for each project, or is there some other reason?
It’s very strange.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image