Marusan Vinyl Appreciation Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
MandaSaurus
Sazer

Marusan Vinyl Appreciation Thread

Post by MandaSaurus »

Thanks for showing me 'the way', guys. :)

RedZillaKing

Re: Marusan Vinyl Appreciation Thread

Post by RedZillaKing »

Aaaah Marusan. Definitely one of the more readily available of the stylized Godzilla figure lines. Their Varan is, IMO, one of the better figures of the monster. Also nice is their Anguirus 1955.

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

I very much agree. The Gigan comes close to being on par, but it has this odd flattened face. I love that Marusan does flying figures too.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Would you believe: That Marusan Metallic Gigan I ordered off of HobbySearch for $83( after Yen conversion ), before shipping, someone is selling it on ebay for $128 + $15 shipping. Scalper alert!

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

AmiAmi is selling the Marusan Metallic Gigan too, for 100 JPY less than Hobby Search. But their pre-order says 'tentative'. Tentative? In other words, 'maybe, or maybe not'? Screw that noise! I'll pay a little more to make sure.

BTW, watching "Gator Boys" on Animal Planet. Didja know they have an alligator at their preserve named 'Godzilla'? Who knew?

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Marusan; gotta love them!
I own their Anguirus and it is personally one of my favorite figures from their modern line. I have the 1964 Godzilla as well, and I love the face design. Anyone recall the Marusan USA figures?

DoctorMafune
Monarch Researcher

Post by DoctorMafune »

I love Marusan's standard-size (10") MechaGodzilla 1974... not superior, IMO, to the Monster Heaven version, but Marusan's has something that really holds the eye. I especially like how the detail on that sculpt stands out on the solid-color versions Marusan sold last year.

I also have a HUGE figure of Kumonga 1967 that Marusan produced in a joint project with another company. It's not long on detail, and the colors (red and blue; an alternate version has orange and green) are something else, but it has proportions closer to the real thing than those tick-like Kumongas that Marmit produced. I bought it for $30, and wouldn't part with it for $300.

Some of Marusan's figures seem intentionally crude-looking, but when they're not, the results can be cool indeed.
"Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength." -- Eric Hoffer

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Marusan is one of the companies that tends to get overlooked...even by me. They're kind of like White Castles burger joint...I don't eat there often, but every now and then, I get a huge craving for them, and I am grateful they exist. Unlike the Marmit Monster Heaven Line and Gigabrain's line, which often balance both realism and stylized designs, Marusan figures definitely tend to focus more on the stylized side, and this might be way they're overlooked or dismissed.

While I don't like Marusan as much as Marmit or GB, I still really dig them, and in retrospect, I regret passing up some great ones over the years (won't make that mistake twice). They really make some unique figures that set them apart from other companies, such as the flying Gigan, Rodan, Gamera, and MG figures. Their modern series has really improved over the years, and has a wide variety of very nice figures to choose. My personal favorites that I own are the Kameobas and Gezora (Yog Trio) figures...I think Marusan's Yog figures are the best out there. Sadly, I haven't managed to hunt down Ganimes yet (when I found Gezora last year, I had also purchased the fantastic Marmit Monster Heaven G67 figure, and only had enough money left for Gezora).

Below are my Marusan figures:

Kameobas and Giant Octopus (along with M1 Megaguirus..sorry for the sh*tty photo...the figures are back home in the USA, so I can't take a new photo).

Gezora

Flying Gigan
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

What's the average price for a Marusan figure today?

GCrusher
G-Force Personnel

Post by GCrusher »

Rody wrote:What's the average price for a Marusan figure today?
Depends on size, release date, etc..
Most fall within the $25 a $75 range.
I have the off-pose figures like the swimming Godzilla and flying versions of MG and Gigan. The Marusan figures are *mostly* aimed at kids these days, but early ones are very collectible just like with other lines.
For example, the sleeping Godzilla I believe originally sold for around $20, or maybe was an event exclusive or mailaway, regardless it didnt originally cost much. Recently it sold on eBay for somewhere around the $100 mark, and maybe more.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I see; that's better than I expected. I was afraid they would regularly go for $100+ like Monster Heaven figures.

DoctorMafune
Monarch Researcher

Post by DoctorMafune »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:Marusan is one of the companies that tends to get overlooked...even by me. They're kind of like White Castles burger joint...I don't eat there often, but every now and then, I get a huge craving for them, and I am grateful they exist. Unlike the Marmit Monster Heaven Line and Gigabrain's line, which often balance both realism and stylized designs, Marusan figures definitely tend to focus more on the stylized side, and this might be way they're overlooked or dismissed.

While I don't like Marusan as much as Marmit or GB, I still really dig them, and in retrospect, I regret passing up some great ones over the years (won't make that mistake twice). They really make some unique figures that set them apart from other companies, such as the flying Gigan, Rodan, Gamera, and MG figures. Their modern series has really improved over the years, and has a wide variety of very nice figures to choose. My personal favorites that I own are the Kameobas and Gezora (Yog Trio) figures...I think Marusan's Yog figures are the best out there. Sadly, I haven't managed to hunt down Ganimes yet (when I found Gezora last year, I had also purchased the fantastic Marmit Monster Heaven G67 figure, and only had enough money left for Gezora).

Below are my Marusan figures:

Kameobas and Giant Octopus (along with M1 Megaguirus..sorry for the sh*tty photo...the figures are back home in the USA, so I can't take a new photo).

Gezora
That Kameba is great... I managed to get one for only $12, plus shipping: still no idea while the seller offered it that inexpensively, but I'm not complaining. :mrgreen:

I wish I could have found the Gezora and Ganime, too... and I didn't even know about the Octopus until I saw your photo.

GCrusher
G-Force Personnel

Post by GCrusher »

Rody wrote:I see; that's better than I expected. I was afraid they would regularly go for $100+ like Monster Heaven figures.
There will always be those figures that will command that high price, even Marusan figures.
Marusan has a lot of great retro looking sculpts.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Cimmerian Dragon wrote:The Marusan Varan is one of the few sculpts that I would say truly bests its Monster Heaven counterpart.
While the Marusan is indeed a very nice sculpt, I couldn't disagree more here. Marmit's Varan is just stunning in how it flat out nails the character (screw the "stylized" label...it's an extremely accurate figure as well). Best damn Varan figure of all time imo...but no argument that the Marusan is a great figure though. I believe awhile ago, Legion posted a photo on CT of both the Marusan and Marmit MH Varan figures together...
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Bio_Goji_89
GPN Volunteer

Post by Bio_Goji_89 »

I flew out to Mike/Legion's place on Long Island last year and stole this.

Bio_Goji_89
GPN Volunteer

Post by Bio_Goji_89 »

I seriously want that one. Blew my chance, I have only seen it on eBay once in the last couple years.

DoctorMafune
Monarch Researcher

Post by DoctorMafune »

Jomei wrote:Seems like the Yog trio is the Marusan set to get. I've yet to buy any of their figures... gah, so much good stuff, but an already beaten, bloody, and bruised bank account. D;
I hear that.

I had gotten that great deal on the Marusan Kameba shortly before I found the Yog trio available for a "mere" $200... just not willing to do it, with the turtle and a Bullmark Gezora in hand, already.

But how many companies will ever make a stylized Ganime? Bullmark's just didn't grow on me, so I sold it, figuring M1 would likely reissue it, anyway (so much for clairvoyance.) Wish I had Marusan's.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Can't wait to see it!

UnCanny Studios
G-Force Personnel

Post by UnCanny Studios »

Excited to see it, Jomei. My favorite Marusan figure:

GLENN AMER doesn't battle, he just allows you to Lose.

http://skreeonk.com - The Kaiju Fan Network! Check out the KAIJU FAN MARKETPLACE! Still going strong! Buy, sell, and list with other kaiju fans for free! Buy stuff!

Kaiju no Mura
Interpol Agent

Post by Kaiju no Mura »

Here is a picture of my sexy gold Marusan Hedorah.

Also comes with tadpole form Hedorah.

Picture isn't mine. But I also have this color version which also comes with a tadpole form.

Also a favorite of mine that I have is this Mothra larva with egg (picture is mine). Both are made of GID vinyl even though it doesn't look like. Also came with a Tokyo Tower.
SHUT UP AND KAIJŪ!