Marusan Vinyl Appreciation Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
DoctorMafune
Monarch Researcher

Re: Marusan Vinyl Appreciation Thread

Post by DoctorMafune »

terrypierson wrote:He is awesome. How much is he going for?
They weren't cheap, even in Japan. According to very well informed sources, people who bought them through pre-orders with Marusan paid ¥16,800 for some versions, so it's no surprise that the few showing up on eBay have gone for between $175 and over $200. (They don't always sell, though.)

What is surprising, at least to me, is that there are some subtle changes in the giant figure, as compared with the original, standard-sized MK. (I'd guessed this was just a HydroSpan-based scale-up from the original mold, but there's more to it than that.)

When I got my solid-grey giant Mechani-Kong, I compared him with my Bullmark, and noticed that the detailing at his ankle joints and underarms, and the backs of his hands, and the clips for his belt bombs, all look different on the giant figure. I think his jock strap has been given more definition, too.

At this point, I'm likely to attract some gas bombs for not posting photos to show what I mean, but that will take some doing... I haven't taken the giant MK out of the bag, and I'm guessing that nothing other than extreme close-ups with flash that manage to avoid reflections on the plastic, will show the differences. If people are interested, I'll see what I can do... or perhaps someone else who has both figures, and a better camera than mine, will give it a try?
"Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength." -- Eric Hoffer

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Here are my Marusan Godzillas (as well as a Toygraph but it's based off of the Marusan mold)
From left to right: Toygraph Godzilla 1964 (Marusan style), Marusan Godzilla (reissue, used in my stop motion fan film), Marusan Godzilla 1964, Marusan USA Godzilla 1955, Marusan USA Godzilla 1954

Brandon O'Brian
Monsterland Worker

Post by Brandon O'Brian »

Creature22 wrote:Wow! That's a fantastic Megalon! I like it's color.
As for M-Pop, it's some new line Marusan has been doing; I don't really know much about it but I think the point of it is to basically give collectors colorful options for their shelves or particularly to customize.
Here's the Godzilla set:
http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/1011 ... gozila.jpg I have the dark blue version.

They've done a couple others too, including;
Mechagodzilla: http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/8410 ... llaset.jpg
That thing I forget how to spell: http://popuptime.exteen.com/images/2010 ... girara.jpg
Varan: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-g4EhlxPvpAM/T ... 015_01.jpg
I really, REALLY want the Varans! Especially the light blue Varan!
- Brandon O'Brian
"Good music is always simple" - Akira Ifukube

subatomic_Matt
GPN Volunteer

Post by subatomic_Matt »

I moved into my new apartment and got most of my Marusan's up. Here's a few pictures of my small collection that I'm so proud of, including a Parababy Mothra stand-in, since I can't find the one that I want (need) for my set and a Max Toy Co. King Ghidorah because he's so large and great.

I've also got a Monster Heaven Rodan '56, US version of Gamera and Godzilla's in metallic blue/green from 54, 55, 63 and 64.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

^ Nice. I was gonna get that Gigan, but my fundage at the time it was available, was limited. Now, it goes for twice the original SRP. :(

subatomic_Matt
GPN Volunteer

Post by subatomic_Matt »

Thanks!

I feel really lucky to have gotten any of these, all things considered. I actually never know what MSRP is as I luck out once in a blue moon on eBay.

I think what's so frustrating to me is never finding the perfect Mothra.. and that extends to other lines as well. The M1 "2001" version would be perfect if there was a paint job underneath. But all that blank blue just seems like a waste.
Last edited by subatomic_Matt on Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

That CCP Ghidorah rocks!
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

subatomic_Matt
GPN Volunteer

Post by subatomic_Matt »

I got that CCP Ghidorah for my birfday a few years ago and treasure him!

I feel like there's a real passionate contingent of collectors for Modern Marusans... who have all the ones I'm searching for. Heh

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

SO jealous right now. I've been searching everywhere for that Marusan Titanosaurus.

Leunames
G-Force Personnel

Post by Leunames »

I like Marusan's mothra adult and Hedorah better than their Marmit monster heaven counterparts. The metallic colorways of some of their molds were also fantastic

DoctorMafune
Monarch Researcher

Post by DoctorMafune »

Damn it!! I thought I had all the colorways of Marusan's superb MechaGodzilla that I'll ever need, but subatomic_Matt's is amazing.

And Matt, that is a beautiful line-up, from start to finish. Great scores!
"Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength." -- Eric Hoffer

subatomic_Matt
GPN Volunteer

Post by subatomic_Matt »

Thanks very much, all of you!

I feel fortunate to have gotten these over the years. That Rodan was my grail and I'm still searching for the brown Anguirus.

I'd like to get a Mothra with at least some white on her since it's her primary color. The 2004 Marusan version is my prize but I've never seen it offered. I really like the metallic colors on the other Marusan/Marmit/M1 versions but they just don't look perfect to me. The M1 is prolly my next favorite and I adore the sculpt but all that non-painted underneath is a turn off on spending so much money.

Ah well.

Thanks again for the kind words! :)
Last edited by subatomic_Matt on Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

The Rodan is really a fantastic figure! I almost got one years ago but decided against it because the asking price was pretty high. The flying one is cool too but I would rather own the standing version. I've only got about eight Marusan figures but I've gotten back into collecting them so my collection will hopefully grow. I've been more focused on the reissues lately, but some of the modern ones are on my list as well.

subatomic_Matt
GPN Volunteer

Post by subatomic_Matt »

Neat! Who do you have in your collection?

I originally got the flying Rodan, as the seller was confused. I ended up returning it and getting a Marmit Monster Heaven Rodan instead. Kinda wish I'd kept the flying version, but that's hindsight for ya.

My want list is now:

-2009 adult Showa Mothra
-brown Anguirus
-two Mothra larvae
- Mothra/Tokyo Tower set
-Oodaku
- green or blue metallic versions of Godzilla '67 (with baby Minya), '71 and '75
- Moguera '57
- Varan (standing)
- and any Gamera villains I can score

That Showa Mothra... jeez, I'd do anything to get that figure. If I could get her, I think I could say my personal set was "complete". I'd feel satisfied, at least.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

subatomic_Matt wrote:Neat! Who do you have in your collection?

I originally got the flying Rodan, as the seller was confused. I ended up returning it and getting a Marmit Monster Heaven Rodan instead. Kinda wish I'd kept the flying version, but that's hindsight for ya.

My want list is now:

-2009 adult Showa Mothra
-brown Anguirus
-two Mothra larvae
- Mothra/Tokyo Tower set
-Oodaku
- green or blue metallic versions of Godzilla '67 (with baby Minya), '71 and '75
- Moguera '57
- Varan (standing)
- and any Gamera villains I can score

That Showa Mothra... jeez, I'd do anything to get that figure. If I could get her, I think I could say my personal set was "complete". I'd feel satisfied, at least.
I've got Godzilla 54, 55, and 64, Anguirus 55, Baragon, Daimajin, and the "original" Godzilla from the M-pop set (although I do want to get another one to paint as none of the painted releases match what I'm looking for, and they're more expensive painted).

My want list (a lot of these I passed on, kind of regret it now):
-Ebirah (standard reissue)
-Varan (standing)
-Titanosaurus
-Moguera 1957 Prototype/concept art version
-the three giant Nitto reissues of Gamera, Barugon and Gappa
-Baragon crawling
-Godzilla 1973

The Showa Mothra is a great looking figure. I haven't seen that one for sale unfortunately. You might be able to find one unpainted and customize it if you looked hard enough though.

subatomic_Matt
GPN Volunteer

Post by subatomic_Matt »

I've been looking for years and have yet to spy one.

Thinking about getting a Mothra from a different line and customizing. However, I'd be spooked on messing it up. Time to look in here for a customizers thread.

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

The Marmit Monster Heaven Showa Mothra is pretty good.

http://www.clubtokyo.org/listings/itemL ... entID=1824
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

subatomic_Matt
GPN Volunteer

Post by subatomic_Matt »

Definetely! I saw one a week or so ago on eBay but didn't have the money. Curses!

Leunames
G-Force Personnel

Post by Leunames »

Primevalgodzilla V2 wrote:The Marmit Monster Heaven Showa Mothra is pretty good.

http://www.clubtokyo.org/listings/itemL ... entID=1824
I personally think Marusan's blows it out of the water

http://www.clubtokyo.org/listings/itemL ... entID=2366

subatomic_Matt
GPN Volunteer

Post by subatomic_Matt »

The Marusan is the one I want THE most and it seems I just came across someone who has one I can buy!

Hooooray!