Talkback Thread #16: The Return of Godzilla

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Talkback Thread #16: The Return of Godzilla

Post by Zarm »

Same here.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

DragonZord13
GPN Volunteer

Post by DragonZord13 »

Dr. Professor wrote:
DragonZord13 wrote:I just realized my copy of "Godzilla"/"Godzilla 1985" (which is a bootleg obtained by a great company/fella) lacks the "Godzilla meets Bambi" short. I hate animal abuse but that short it a part of G history and I still remember it vaguely.
As a kid I found that short greatly upsetting. I still don't find it funny. It just seems like a lame attempt to be edgy.
Oh I agree it is a unsettling, short and has zero barring on anything G related. But at the time it was one of those "oh crap they did that?" Moments that feels lost to time now. It and the 1985 cut really should of been on the Kraken release.
I like shows where Japanese folks change into spandex clad heroes and fight rubber suits.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

DragonZord13 wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:
DragonZord13 wrote:I just realized my copy of "Godzilla"/"Godzilla 1985" (which is a bootleg obtained by a great company/fella) lacks the "Godzilla meets Bambi" short. I hate animal abuse but that short it a part of G history and I still remember it vaguely.
As a kid I found that short greatly upsetting. I still don't find it funny. It just seems like a lame attempt to be edgy.
Oh I agree it is a unsettling, short and has zero barring on anything G related. But at the time it was one of those "oh crap they did that?" Moments that feels lost to time now. It and the 1985 cut really should of been on the Kraken release.
I think it was a rights issue?

But as an ongoing, shameless free shill, I will totally point you here... ;)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=27517
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Godzilla 1985 used music composed by Chris Young for New World’s Def-Con 4. Toho reportedly didn’t want to pay Young so that they could release G85 with his music. Some fans suggested releasing the film with Toho music tracked in in the place of Young’s music, but doing that would have been much more work than Toho or especially Kraken was willing to do.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

DragonZord13
GPN Volunteer

Post by DragonZord13 »

Zarm wrote:
DragonZord13 wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote: As a kid I found that short greatly upsetting. I still don't find it funny. It just seems like a lame attempt to be edgy.
I think it was a rights issue?

But as an ongoing, shameless free shill, I will totally point you here... ;)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=27517
Now that is neat project there. But does it contain "the Bambi meets Godzilla" short? That would truly make it a "complete cut" of The Return of Godzilla. I figured legal rights was the issue behind G-1985 not getting a DVD release. Well let's hope "Godzilla King of the Monsters" can spur some companies to re-release some or all Godzilla films like Godzilla 1985 for example.
I like shows where Japanese folks change into spandex clad heroes and fight rubber suits.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

DragonZord13 wrote:Now that is neat project there. But does it contain "the Bambi meets Godzilla" short? That would truly make it a "complete cut" of The Return of Godzilla. I figured legal rights was the issue behind G-1985 not getting a DVD release. Well let's hope "Godzilla King of the Monsters" can spur some companies to re-release some or all Godzilla films like Godzilla 1985 for example.
No, unfortunately, but I think you can find an HD version of Bambi meets Godzilla online elsewhere so you can probably just play them back to back in the playlist? :)

I just watched Godzilla: Resurrection the other night and definitely recommend it! It's basically a better composed (IMO) version of RoG with the G'85 scenes added and most of the goofiness cut out (I'm most amazed that the "Wonder Lizard" line is gone, I didn't think that one could be cut). Now those scenes feel like they're supposed to be there! Resurrection is probably now my go-to cut of the movie and if I show RoG to anybody it's going to be that version. :)
Last edited by Pkmatrix on Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

Maritonic wrote:
DragonZord13 wrote:Just got done watching Godzilla 1985 and is it just me or does Steve Martin (Burr's character) seem evil-ish? I get that he's witnessed the first Godzilla's attack and his cynicism is warranted but he flat out tells his US friends "Godzilla won't die. Just stop." Couple that with a scene of him massaging that Dragon idol thing and THEN Godzilla springs into action, almost comes off as Steve controlling Godzilla. In the end Martin was the most interesting character because he's so God damn mysterious and even foreboding.
Oddly enough, I just revisited this for the first time in almost 20 years or so. And I forgot how dark and mysterious they treat Martin. You're absolutely right about this; the dragon idol, his glares at the screen, his cynicism (which at least makes sense), and even the dark flute music that plays when he's on screen. He even "awakens" after Godzilla's first attack on the ship. It's all very interesting.
Wait, does this mean Steve Martin is the Green Ranger and he summons Godzilla the same way as the Dragon-Zord? HE'S PLAYING THE FLUTE TO SUMMON HIM. Lmao.
Last edited by Gojirawars 03 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Pkmatrix wrote:I just watched Godzilla: Resurrection the other night and definitely recommend it! It's basically a better composed (IMO) version of RoG with the G'85 scenes added and most of the goofiness cut out (I'm most amazed that the "Wonder Lizard" line is gone, I didn't think that one could be cut). Now those scenes feel like they're supposed to be there! Resurrection is probably now my go-to cut of the movie and if I show RoG to anybody it's going to be that version. :)
Interesting...

How would I see this cut of the film?

I is curious.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Grievous wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:I just watched Godzilla: Resurrection the other night and definitely recommend it! It's basically a better composed (IMO) version of RoG with the G'85 scenes added and most of the goofiness cut out (I'm most amazed that the "Wonder Lizard" line is gone, I didn't think that one could be cut). Now those scenes feel like they're supposed to be there! Resurrection is probably now my go-to cut of the movie and if I show RoG to anybody it's going to be that version. :)
Interesting...

How would I see this cut of the film?

I is curious.
Check out anzilla's thread over in the Fan Art forum:

Godzilla: Resurrection - The Return of Godzilla and Godzilla 1985, combined

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Pkmatrix wrote:Check out anzilla's thread over in the Fan Art forum:

Godzilla: Resurrection - The Return of Godzilla and Godzilla 1985, combined
Thank you kindly...
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

How strong are the ties between Godzilla (1954) and this movie? Does anyone mention Doctor Serizawa, the Oxygen Destroyer, or Godzilla's death?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

No to Serizawa or the Oxygen Destroyer. I don’t recall offhand if Godzilla’s death is mentioned in the Japanese version (my gut tells me it isn’t), but it is in the U.S. version. (The U.S. version also implies it’s the same Godzilla, although Toho didn’t. I think the nature of the second Godzilla was left completely unexplained until Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah.)

The biggest visual continuity comes in the form of pictures of the ‘54 Godzilla shown to Okamura in the Japanese version while the American version cuts that scene and instead has stock footage of Godzilla’s first rampage reviewed by Pentagon personnel. There are several references to the first Godzilla, mostly from Prof. Hayashida, but they’re pretty obscure (“When Godzilla last appeared” or “he was considered a legend.” That kind of stuff that doesn’t really reference anything in the ‘54 film.) It’s not at all the “direct sequel” some fans make it out to be.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Terasawa wrote: I think the nature of the second Godzilla was left completely unexplained until Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah.
I don't think it's made clear that there are two Godzillas until Godzilla vs Destoroyah.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

kamilleblu wrote:
Terasawa wrote: I think the nature of the second Godzilla was left completely unexplained until Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah.
I don't think it's made clear that there are two Godzillas until Godzilla vs Destoroyah.
Right (unless anyone understood what happened before kpa’s explanation here lol), but I didn’t mean “we learned there was a second Godzilla in 1991.” That’s when we learned it was a dinosaur on Lagos Island before mutation; context clues in Destoroyah made it clear(er) that it had to be another Godzilla.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Terasawa wrote:
kamilleblu wrote:
Right (unless anyone understood what happened before kpa’s explanation here lol), but I didn’t mean “we learned there was a second Godzilla in 1991.” That’s when we learned it was a dinosaur on Lagos Island before mutation; context clues in Destoroyah made it clear(er) that it had to be another Godzilla.
What context clues existed before Destoroyah? There ever only being one Godzilla would make everyone in Godzilla vs King Ghidorah look a lot more intelligent.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Pretty sure the idea of it being a second Godzilla is mentioned in ROG but could be wrong

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Godzillian wrote:Pretty sure the idea of it being a second Godzilla is mentioned in ROG but could be wrong
In the G85 cut, Martin says something to the effect of “thirty years ago they didn’t find a body”.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Godzillian wrote:Pretty sure the idea of it being a second Godzilla is mentioned in ROG but could be wrong
In the G85 cut, Martin says something to the effect of “thirty years ago they didn’t find a body”.
That line was always a bit of misleading. While it's true that no body was found cause G54 had its body disintegrated, they have Martin say it like that Godzilla survived

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Godzillian wrote:That line was always a bit of misleading. While it's true that no body was found cause G54 had its body disintegrated, they have Martin say it like that Godzilla survived
But from the point of view of the characters in the original movie it is very accurate. The audience witnesses Godzilla being dissolved by the Oxygen Destroyer, but nobody witnessed it besides maybe Dr. Serizawa. Also nobody but Emiko actually saw the Oxygen Destroyer in action and she was to horrified to watch for very long. So if asked, she couldn't really tell them if there would be any remains left or not to find. All that they really knew was Godzilla was not seen again, well for 30 years at least.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

The American version was not put assembled primarily for people who had recently or repeatedly seen the original, but for a general audience with a vague pop culture memory of the story. "Thirty years ago, they never found any corpse" was a convenient hand-wave way to convey to that audience, "Yes, Godzilla can come back."
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.