Marvel Godzilla

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Black Lion
Monsterland Worker

Marvel Godzilla

Post by Black Lion »

So I'm about to start reading the Marvel Essentials Godzilla, and I've never seen anyone talk about it around here.

Anyone care to share what you think of it? The design is very saurian and although I've always hated that interpretation of the character, I find myself intrigued by the way Marvel depicted it. And of the few panels I've seen here and there, I'm impressed by the amount of power and intelligence this version seems to have. Not to mention his apparently insane size (up to like 600ft I hear)
Gamera: Guardian of Earth and Friend of All Children*

*except those who are currently out of his immediate field of vision. Sorry.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Re: Marvel Godzilla

Post by cloverfan98 »

The Marvel series is an insane and awesome ride. Epically if you are a Marvel fan as well as a Godzilla fan.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Marvel's Godzilla is a load of fun! I really enjoyed reading it. I did it the hard way too: I went from comic shop to comic shop and collected all the issues (except #12, which I STILL haven't found) in the mid '90s. I love the Essential Godzilla collection, though, is awesome to have the whole thing in one place! ^_^

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

If Marvel bought Godzilla again in the future, it would be epic. I made a concept a while back that if they continued, they would ad a majority of the toho kaiju to the franchise. I love to imagine that in order to combat Godzilla, Tony Stark would of used his company to create Mechagodzilla.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

TyrantGojira wrote:If Marvel bought Godzilla again in the future, it would be epic. I made a concept a while back that if they continued, they would ad a majority of the toho kaiju to the franchise. I love to imagine that in order to combat Godzilla, Tony Stark would of used his company to create Mechagodzilla.
Nah Tony Stark would have built the Godzillabuster Iron Man suit. lol
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

knockinrockin
G-Grasper

Post by knockinrockin »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
TyrantGojira wrote:If Marvel bought Godzilla again in the future, it would be epic. I made a concept a while back that if they continued, they would ad a majority of the toho kaiju to the franchise. I love to imagine that in order to combat Godzilla, Tony Stark would of used his company to create Mechagodzilla.
Nah Tony Stark would have built the Godzillabuster Iron Man suit. lol
Or a gigantic iron man suit?
DeadpoolsbetterThanU wrote:
Orgasmatron wrote:we finally tried anal and she said she would have it again
Now you live up to that user name of yours!

Shadow wrote:
Chris55 wrote:5'1
640lbs

:lol: Wow, you should get outside sometime, that's if you get fit through the door.

Jory
Monarch Researcher

Post by Jory »

It doesn't hold up to the Dark Horse version, but it can be fun.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

I've said this at least two times already: I enjoyed the first issue of Marvel's Godzilla more than every single issue of KoM and every issue I've seen of the previous Godzilla ongoing. It had a great portrayal of Godzilla, a fun action story, and some likable main characters (Even though I know nothing about the Marvel comic universes).

I plan on checking out the other issues some day.
Last edited by Dust_pan on Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

GojirO
G-Force Personnel

Post by GojirO »

I have the Essential Godzilla....i think its the first volume. pretty good but its all in black and white
Rest in Peace Victoria

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

I'm hoping for a full-color complete collection to come out at some point, I've only read issues #22 and #23, which I found at a flea market a few years ago.

GojirO
G-Force Personnel

Post by GojirO »

its pretty good but compared to the issues, they seem almost bland and lifeless without vibrant coloring
Rest in Peace Victoria

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

They should've had The Hulk fight Godzilla. They have equal strength. They have some common powers and stuff. Regeneration, immense strength, impervious to injury and military weapons, you name it.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

S9y
Monarch Researcher

Post by S9y »

I always wondered why marvel tried to keep godZilla after the comic ended.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

While we're on the subject, was the mutated dinosaur controlled by Doctor Demonicus in Iron Man #193 really Godzilla? Or was that just speculation?

I haven't read the issue, btw. I'm just curious because I'm genuinely interested in reading more of these.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Dust_pan wrote:While we're on the subject, was the mutated dinosaur controlled by Doctor Demonicus in Iron Man #193 really Godzilla? Or was that just speculation?

I haven't read the issue, btw. I'm just curious because I'm genuinely interested in reading more of these.
It's implied, but never stated (I don't think they'd be allowed to say so, considering they lost the rights by that point.)

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

gigan72 wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:
Dust_pan wrote:While we're on the subject, was the mutated dinosaur controlled by Doctor Demonicus in Iron Man #193 really Godzilla? Or was that just speculation?

It's implied, but never stated (I don't think they'd be allowed to say so, considering they lost the rights by that point.)
Any pictures?
Right here.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/comics/cret/ ... marvel.htm

http://www.tohokingdom.com/comics/iron_man_193.html

It's presumed that this mutated dinosaur is Godzilla under Doctor Demonicus's influence. I was just wondering if that was ever confirmed, even if only subtly. But I suppose it's more fun to leave that bit of info vague. And it obviously protects them from Toho's wrath.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

A lot of fun I really dig it. I have maybe half of the original issues and the essential collection of it. Collecting the issues on their own is fun too. They are cool little collectibles and pieces of Godzilla history. Nice for anyone collection

Terrier
JXSDF Technician

Post by Terrier »

Dust_pan wrote:http://www.tohokingdom.com/comics/cret/ ... marvel.htm

http://www.tohokingdom.com/comics/iron_man_193.html

It's presumed that this mutated dinosaur is Godzilla under Doctor Demonicus's influence. I was just wondering if that was ever confirmed, even if only subtly. But I suppose it's more fun to leave that bit of info vague. And it obviously protects them from Toho's wrath.
I find it suspicious that the "mutated dinosaur" is not killed off.

Jory
Monarch Researcher

Post by Jory »

Dark Horse's Godzilla Color Special is terrific. It went a long way toward satisfying my desire to see a Godzilla vs. Daimajin movie.

As much as the Marvel version has its moments, Dark Horse wiped the floor with them. I'd recommend their trade paperback collection Godzilla: Age of Monsters. It includes the Color Special, although the whole book is printed in black and white, just like Marvel's Essential Godzilla collection.

Bluezilla 65
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla 65 »

I had a subscription starting with issue 4. I still have all the issues. Loved going to the mailbox and getting it each month. Took me 25 years to track down issue 3 set in
San Francisco.